PDA

View Full Version : Mormons Encouraged to Stay Away from Discussion Boards?

Cow Poke
12-27-2016, 02:55 PM
One of my ex-Mormon friends - the real estate guy who left the Mormon Church over the shady NW Houston Temple deal - tells me that the LDS leadership is discouraging Mormons from posting on Christian discussion websites, or discussion boards in general.

He says the rationale is that it raises more questions than it ever answers, and it is "faith destroying" to those who participate. Particularly of interest was the premise that the "antis" (I always smile when I see that) are using official LDS websites to challenge Mormonism, and are causing otherwise faithful Mormons to 'dig deeper'.

Anybody heard anything like this?

Mind you, this is entirely anecdotal, but this particular Mormon was pretty well connected, and still stays in regular contact with people in that particular temple.

ke7ejx
12-27-2016, 03:03 PM
:lmbo: Oh, they've been saying that for years!

Cerebrum123
12-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Mormonism, like Islam, doesn't seem to handle inspection well at all. So yeah, this wouldn't surprise me.

Cow Poke
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
:lmbo: Oh, they've been saying that for years!

Yeah, I always got a kick out of the big red banners on the LDS pages warning Mormons that "reading further may be damaging to your faith" :lmbo:

Can you imagine a Christian website having that kind of warning?

Cow Poke
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Mormonism, like Islam, doesn't seem to handle inspection well at all. So yeah, this wouldn't surprise me.

I just don't know how far up the chain it goes, or, I guess, from how high up on the chain it came down. I would seriously doubt they'd print something like that.

ke7ejx
12-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I always got a kick out of the big red banners on the LDS pages warning Mormons that "reading further may be damaging to your faith" :lmbo:

It would be one that I wouldn't waste precious time on.

mossrose
12-27-2016, 05:28 PM

i would put a warning up like that. If it was a site full of truth and drew people who might think they are ok. Like Mormons. And atheists. Or even other in-name-only christians.

It would be worth it then.

jpholding
12-27-2016, 06:35 PM
It used to be, some 15 years ago when I wrote The Mormon Defenders, that Mormons were starting to rev up some intellectual apologetics.

These days their formerly leading apologetics org (FARMS) is barely a stain on a sneaker.

Th4e anecdote rings true with the larger trend in that regard.

Bill the Cat
12-27-2016, 06:55 PM
It used to be, some 15 years ago when I wrote The Mormon Defenders, that Mormons were starting to rev up some intellectual apologetics.

These days their formerly leading apologetics org (FARMS) is barely a stain on a sneaker.

Th4e anecdote rings true with the larger trend in that regard.

I wonder how much Kevin's leaving affected them...

DesertBerean
12-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Kevin?

ke7ejx
12-28-2016, 01:07 AM
Kevin?

OtherCheek

Raphael
12-28-2016, 04:39 AM
I had some Mormon missionaries knock on my door a week ago. We had a chat and they volunteered to mow my lawn. I told them that next visit we'll have a cuppa (I can offer them Rooibos tea, it naturally has now caffeine) and discuss comparative Theology

Cow Poke
12-28-2016, 07:59 AM
I had some Mormon missionaries knock on my door a week ago. We had a chat and they volunteered to mow my lawn. I told them that next visit we'll have a cuppa (I can offer them Rooibos tea, it naturally has now caffeine) and discuss comparative Theology

I'm at a place again where I can begin engaging them like that, and already have two in my sights. :smile: (I think you meant "no caffeine" - reminds me of the "no tea" in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy")

Cow Poke
12-28-2016, 08:01 AM
OtherCheek

Wait -- OtherCheek was on FARMS? As.... a contributor? :huh:

(I did have some pleasant PM and email exchanges with him before he passed away)

ke7ejx
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Wait -- OtherCheek was on FARMS? As.... a contributor? :huh:

(I did have some pleasant PM and email exchanges with him before he passed away)

I seem to recall him being involved with something along those lines. I could be wrong.

Bill the Cat
12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Kevin?

Kevin Graham was Bloodnut here before the crash. He worked with FARMS/FAIR, and even worked to gather a team of big shot Mormon apologists to answer JP's book The Mormon Defenders. Kevin left the Mormon church because of his findings when studying the Book of Abraham, and specifically the plagiarism Smith did to the Book of Breathing and the facsimiles in the beginning of the BOA.

Some language warnings on this link, but Kevin wrote a few of these articles...

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_kirtlandegyptianpapers.html

Cow Poke
12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Kevin Graham was Bloodnut here before the crash. He worked with FARMS/FAIR, and even worked to gather a team of big shot Mormon apologists to answer JP's book The Mormon Defenders. Kevin left the Mormon church because of his findings when studying the Book of Abraham, and specifically the plagiarism Smith did to the Book of Breathing and the facsimiles in the beginning of the BOA.

Some language warnings on this link, but Kevin wrote a few of these articles...

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_kirtlandegyptianpapers.html

Interesting!

DesertBerean
12-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Other Cheek no longer was a Mormon? I'm confused.

Bill the Cat
12-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Wrong Kevin. I was talking about Kevin Graham, not Other Cheek. Different people

Cow Poke
12-28-2016, 12:40 PM

OtherCheek is deceased. :candle:

DesertBerean
12-28-2016, 12:47 PM
OtherCheek is deceased. :candle:I know that. Bill, thanks for clarifying.

JB DoulosChristou
12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
OtherCheek

See all the confusion you caused! :whack:

...You've learned well.

Cow Poke
12-28-2016, 02:28 PM
See all the confusion you caused! :whack:

...You've learned well.

She is, after all, the Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot.

Or so it's been said. :innocent:

ke7ejx
12-28-2016, 02:46 PM
She is, after all, the Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot.

Or so it's been said. :innocent:

:ke7ejx:

jpholding
12-29-2016, 04:58 AM
I wonder how much Kevin's leaving affected them...

And Kerry Shirts....

Bill the Cat
12-29-2016, 03:58 PM
And Kerry Shirts....

Interesting that Kerry now claims to be an atheist, and lists his reason as (http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28296):

Having read through many texts by John W. Loftus, George H. Smith, Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger, Sam Harris, Dan Barker, Hector Avalos, and others, I can plainly see why Christianity doesn't have a chance, biblically, logically, or spiritually.

Cerebrum123
12-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Interesting that Kerry now claims to be an atheist, and lists his reason as (http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28296):

Having read through many texts by John W. Loftus, George H. Smith, Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger, Sam Harris, Dan Barker, Hector Avalos, and others, I can plainly see why Christianity doesn't have a chance, biblically, logically, or spiritually.

:doh:

Catholicity
01-02-2017, 11:37 PM
I miss our Kevin

MsJack
03-09-2017, 06:54 PM
I know I'm resurrecting a months-old thread, but: I don't think the Mormon church has put out anything official about not participating on discussion boards. There have always been murmurings against participating on discussion boards or blogs that could be "faith-destroying," and reading literature that would be "faith-destroying," but that's nothing new.

They're now the Interpreter Foundation (http://www.mormoninterpreter.com/). It's hard to say all of the reasons BYU gave the FARMS crowd the boot. Mostly, I think they wanted to do respectable Mormon studies and were embarrassed by some apologists' antics.

Kevin Graham and Kerry Shirts (as Philo Sofee) are both active participants on another Mormon-themed message board if you ever want to look them up.

tabibito
03-10-2017, 12:27 AM

Sounds good - I might try it ....

or, come to think of it

Isn't that what some Churches say about the Bible?