Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God Will Give You Something to Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Will Give You Something to Say

Fantastic article written by John Piper. Take a few minutes to be blessed by it:

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/...mething-to-say

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    Fantastic article written by John Piper. Take a few minutes to be blessed by it:

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/...mething-to-say
    It never seems to occur to people that God might want you to say absolutely nothing at all.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      It never seems to occur to people that God might want you to say absolutely nothing at all.
      Yeah I bet that's never, ever occurred to Piper before..lol.

Comment

Some of my most precious moments have been when I managed not to say anything.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have been in situations where I said nothing and let my enemies squabble. Still that won't stop me from giving a defense.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Some of my most precious moments have been when I managed not to say anything.
            That goes without saying.

Even a fool, when he is silent, is considered wise. When he closes his lips, he is considered intelligent. (Proverbs 17:28)
            Last edited by Faber; 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM.
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
              That goes without saying.

Even a fool, when he is silent, is considered wise. When he closes his lips, he is considered intelligent. (Proverbs 17:28)
              STORY TIME!!!!

The old rancher was going to town, and he was taking his grandson. As they got to the dry goods store, the rancher told the boy "you stay in the wagon, and don't say anything or people will find out you're a fool".

Soon, the Sheriff was walking up the street, saw the boy sitting in the wagon, and said "Howdy son!" The boy didn't say anything. The Sheriff repeated "I said Howdy son!" The boy just sat there. The Sheriff asked, "Boy, can't you talk?" Nothing. The Sheriff pulled out a silver dollar and said, "Boy, if you'll just say howdy, I'll give you this shiny silver dollar". Nothing.

The Sheriff walked off, saying, "Boy, you must be a fool!"

When the rancher came out, the boy piped up, "Honest, Papa, I didn't say a word, but the Sheriff found out anyway!"
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"To be silent when we are impelled to utter words injurious to God or to our neighbour, is an act of virtue; but, to be silent in confessing our sins, is the ruin of the soul." St. Alphonsus de Ligouri

Comment

OK, has anyone here actually read the article? lol.

Comment

There was an article?

Comment

I did.

Notice, when Jesus says in Luke 12:11 that they may bring us before “synagogues and rulers and authorities,” he is not thinking of only one kind of arraignment. Being questioned in the synagogue was not the same as being interrogated by a Roman governor.

Jesus’s promise that the Holy Spirit will teach us what we ought to say is not meant to free us from anxiety in only one kind of trial and then leave us to ourselves in another.

“The Holy Spirit will help us in the most frightening settings. How much more may we depend on him in less threatening situations.”
                      Tweet
                      Share on Facebook
                      I think that is the amount of "prophecy" I have been doing when debating.

I have often enough been arraigned by Protestants, Orthodox, Jews, and not least Atheists, and have nearly always had a reply.

It is real good fun, but doesn't mean I am a "prophet" as the word is usually understood, so, if anyone wonders why I have so good answers, have a look at Luke 12:11; not at the passages which specifically deal with prophecy.
                      http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

It occurred to VERY many, that that would be what God wanted me to do ... me not being one of them!
                        http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

My best example, I think, is when we had a young lady in our youth group who got pregnant. I was the youth minister. The Church pretty much shunned her, and it really bothered me, because it seemed like if ever there's a time when you need your Church, it's when you're in a condition like that.

One morning, I came into the Church early, and she was standing down by the nursery door, just staring in. I imagined she was contemplating what her life was about to become. I walked down the hall to her, but realized I had no idea what to say.

So I hugged her. And she hugged back, really hard, and just kept hanging onto me. I could feel her warm tears on my neck, and could feel her sobbing quietly. I don't know how long we stood there like that, but I remember neither of us ever said a word.

But I believe the Holy Spirit did.

Comment