Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Hunted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunted

Anyone watching that new show "Hunted?" Basically several pairs of people try to evade "law enforcement" for 28 days to win some money. The "law enforcement" is a group of ex-cops, fbi, security experts, PIs, etc.
    The couple is given a one hour head start, a bank account with $500 which that can access for $100 at a time but through an ATM. They are allowed to go anywhere in a large area that includes Georgia an parts of surrounding states. They can ask anyone they want for help, money, shelter, etc. The hunters can search their home and interview family and friends.

It is kind of spooky how much our lives are able to be traced digitally and how hard it is to actually go "off the grid" - the hunters can trace ATM usage, phone calls (if they know the runners phones, they can use burners), read US Postal Mail, use street and ATM cameras, track any credit card usage, and so on.

Here is a trailer/preview of the show:

You can watch full episodes here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/hunted/video/

It makes you wonder, if you wanted to disappear how would you go about it?

Personally if I were on the show, I think I would contact some of you twebbers to loan me some money via wire, then buy enough rations for a month and just hole up in a cheap motel at a random location that I could pay cash for, and then not leave or contact anyone for the 28 days. I think that moving around and contacting people is where you are most exposed.

Why not just sail your pirate ship off to some island?

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
      Why not just sail your pirate ship off to some island?
      The CIA has it bugged. or barnacled.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Either go full cash (no ATM) or steal someone else's cards. Dye my hair and/or drastically adjust the cut. Same with facial hair. You might not get past electronic recognition, but it would eliminate a lot of the APB "suspect looks like X" part of the hunt.

The difference between disappearing and running is that the latter typically involves a destination (or at least a discernible direction) and doesn't necessarily eliminate contact with others. Truly disappearing would remove the ATM, phone, and mail avenues of tracking. Cameras are of limited use unless you know where to look.

I can't watch the trailer from here. It seems like the game is rigged a bit by limiting area and effectively forcing (periodic?) ATM withdrawals. How are the people filmed? It seems like it would be hard to hide with a camera on you all the time. Establishing behavioral patterns would be a big benefit if you're in a familiar area, but less so if you left.

Still sounds like an interesting show.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Anyone watching that new show "Hunted?" Basically several pairs of people try to evade "law enforcement" for 28 days to win some money. The "law enforcement" is a group of ex-cops, fbi, security experts, PIs, etc.
          The couple is given a one hour head start, a bank account with $500 which that can access for $100 at a time but through an ATM. They are allowed to go anywhere in a large area that includes Georgia an parts of surrounding states. They can ask anyone they want for help, money, shelter, etc. The hunters can search their home and interview family and friends.

It is kind of spooky how much our lives are able to be traced digitally and how hard it is to actually go "off the grid" - the hunters can trace ATM usage, phone calls (if they know the runners phones, they can use burners), read US Postal Mail, use street and ATM cameras, track any credit card usage, and so on.

Here is a trailer/preview of the show:

You can watch full episodes here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/hunted/video/

Personally if I were on the show, I think I would contact some of you twebbers to loan me some money via wire, then buy enough rations for a month and just hole up in a cheap motel at a random location that I could pay cash for, and then not leave or contact anyone for the 28 days. I think that moving around and contacting people is where you are most exposed.
          All I'd need do is lock myself into one of my sooper secret bacon vaults and instruct my NSA to eliminate any and all intruders.

For the rest of you, Carr is right about using cash and changing your appearance. You should also go somewhere you've never been and have no connection with. Don't contact anyone you know and change your habits (if for example you love to fish, STOP).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Either go full cash (no ATM) or steal someone else's cards. Dye my hair and/or drastically adjust the cut. Same with facial hair. You might not get past electronic recognition, but it would eliminate a lot of the APB "suspect looks like X" part of the hunt.

The difference between disappearing and running is that the latter typically involves a destination (or at least a discernible direction) and doesn't necessarily eliminate contact with others. Truly disappearing would remove the ATM, phone, and mail avenues of tracking. Cameras are of limited use unless you know where to look.

I can't watch the trailer from here. It seems like the game is rigged a bit by limiting area and effectively forcing (periodic?) ATM withdrawals. How are the people filmed? It seems like it would be hard to hide with a camera on you all the time. Establishing behavioral patterns would be a big benefit if you're in a familiar area, but less so if you left.

Still sounds like an interesting show.
            They don't have to use the ATM. They can use money from friends instead. They didn't say anything about their own pocket money they might have either. I would assume they would have some rules about that or people would just stash a couple of grand somewhere before they start running. The ATM is saying "ok you have at least $500 but it comes at a catch"

And yeah the geographic area does limit things, but then this is a TV show.

I also keep thinking about the film crew. Obviously they have at least one camera guy with them. So pretty much it seems to me they would stick out anywhere they go. And since they keep showing external shots of the runner's cars and things, I am guessing the film guys have their own car. Seems to me that both things make it easier to track them by the investigators. And how do you know that they are not tracking the film crews phones? or that the film crew doesn't rat on them?

Comment

They don't have to use the ATM. They can use money from friends instead
              They'll be watching your friends and family. Making contact with them is one of the chief ways that fugitives get tracked down.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They'll be watching your friends and family. Making contact with them is one of the chief ways that fugitives get tracked down.
                Yep. I think I already said that. but they can't WATCH them physically. There are only two in the field investigators for each pair of fugitives. They can see the phone records of family members and look for phone numbers incoming, but can't tap the phones. So if they see an unusual number or a known number, they can know that the fugitives called them. Then they can waste time going there if they want.

The fugitives could just call multiple people and set up a wire transfer or a pickup. the hunters would just have to get lucky and get the right one. Or one pair used google to communicate. He created a new gmail account, then sent out letters to everyone telling them the name and password, and to get on and write draft emails. He would log on and read the drafts, and send back his reply in a draft. Since no email was being sent, it could not be traced. Unfortunately the hunters had a mail tracking set up on various family members and noticed the letters. They could not open them but they saw that they had sent out letters to everyone, and started calling them and hounding them about the letters. They haven't been caught yet as far as I know (I haven't watched this weeks episode yet) but they are getting close.

Comment

They don't have to use the ATM. They can use money from friends instead. They didn't say anything about their own pocket money they might have either. I would assume they would have some rules about that or people would just stash a couple of grand somewhere before they start running. The ATM is saying "ok you have at least $500 but it comes at a catch"
                  Obvious caveat that I haven't seen the show and don't know the rules. Using money from friends is still a tether to follow up on, though. It might be more interesting if they were given some amount of cash AND an ATM card. Then you can test how well you do with limited cash but have the option to get more if you're desperate or stupid.

I wonder if you could trade the ATM card for cash? That would be an interesting technique. A one time hit to prove the balance wouldn't hurt your chances that much provided you move off quickly.

And yeah the geographic area does limit things, but then this is a TV show.
                  Sure.

I also keep thinking about the film crew. Obviously they have at least one camera guy with them. So pretty much it seems to me they would stick out anywhere they go. And since they keep showing external shots of the runner's cars and things, I am guessing the film guys have their own car. Seems to me that both things make it easier to track them by the investigators. And how do you know that they are not tracking the film crews phones? or that the film crew doesn't rat on them?
                  I'd give benefit of the doubt that they're not tracking the film crews. The field investigators holding up pictures asking "have you seen them" are still likely to get more hits when the fugitives are running around with film crews, though.

It strikes me as being somewhat similar to Naked and Afraid. Inept people are still inept, so not much loss there. The difference is the other end of the spectrum where people would otherwise succeed if they weren't artificially constrained. It's worth noting but not enough to ruin the show (for me, at least).
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The trading the ATM card for cash is pretty clever! It would additionally mess with the hunters as they saw ATM usage by whoever you traded it to

Comment

The trading the ATM card for cash is pretty clever! It would additionally mess with the hunters as they saw ATM usage by whoever you traded it to
                      Thanks!
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I wonder if they could tell if you used conference calling

Say I was on the run and I called mossy who called my brother and conferenced me in? The would see that mossy called him but not that I called her because she is out of the country so they would not be able to watch her phone legally

Comment

Alone is the only reality show that ever caught my attention (since I'd like to participate in it one day) but this one looks interesting too.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I am starting to doubt the reality of Hunted.

Several things have happened that make me think a lot of this is staged.

1. watching one scene with the fugitives, and the camera angles, it is clear they had at least 3 cameras on them. And you can bet there would be a sound guy and producer and all that. And nobody around them seems to notice. People don't ask about the cameras, or look at them, or anything. That is just weird. editing it out? maybe. But then how do these two fugitives keep on the run and hide with a whole crew following them around like paparazzi?

2. They tap into CCTV cameras (that's what they call them). First CCTV is CLOSED CIRCUIT. it is not on the internet and you don't just tap into it like on TV. You have to have court orders and such, and you usually have to go there in person and take the data recorder. Now some street cams are on the internet but you still need a court order to tap into them. This is a tv show. they are not real cops. They would not have access to that stuff. Same with ATM cameras. If Police and the FBI and so on are giving these people access to that kind of stuff for a TV show, that is a breach of security.

3. The camera footage from the "CCTV" is HD. Most are not that I have worked with. Especially at gas stations. Every gas station security video I have worked with is low resolution (usually 320 x 240 pixels) and records at about 2 frames per second. very fuzzy and jerky. This video is HD and full motion 30 frames/second.

4. They did the typical CSI "zoom in on a license plate" and "clear it up" - they went from a total pixelated image to a perfectly clear license plate number in a few seconds. Real life doesn't work that way. You can't get information where there is none. If you have enough pixels you might be able to guess at the numbers on a plate, but not reconstitute them in perfect HD.

5. A lot of time they just 'coincidentally' think of something that leads them right to the fugitive. They try to cover it up with some idiotic narrative but it doesn't wash. Once a fugitive couple was unexpectedly in one area that they had not planned on being in, and one of them decided to call up an old college friend she hadn't talked to in 15 years and borrowed a stranger's phone to call her (she still had her number? MEMORIZED?) -
                            meanwhile back at the control center, they said "we can't find them with their trusted circle of friends. We need to expand to the secondary and tertiary circle."

"Sir, I think she might be in the south carolina area and might reach out to some of her old college friends"

"Great, let's check that out"

"Here is a buddy she used to hang out with"

"Let's look into her"

Of course it was the very person the woman had called. Sheesh.

Comment

I am starting to doubt the reality of Hunted.

Several things have happened that make me think a lot of this is staged.

1. watching one scene with the fugitives, and the camera angles, it is clear they had at least 3 cameras on them. And you can bet there would be a sound guy and producer and all that. And nobody around them seems to notice. People don't ask about the cameras, or look at them, or anything. That is just weird. editing it out? maybe. But then how do these two fugitives keep on the run and hide with a whole crew following them around like paparazzi?

2. They tap into CCTV cameras (that's what they call them). First CCTV is CLOSED CIRCUIT. it is not on the internet and you don't just tap into it like on TV. You have to have court orders and such, and you usually have to go there in person and take the data recorder. Now some street cams are on the internet but you still need a court order to tap into them. This is a tv show. they are not real cops. They would not have access to that stuff. Same with ATM cameras. If Police and the FBI and so on are giving these people access to that kind of stuff for a TV show, that is a breach of security.

3. The camera footage from the "CCTV" is HD. Most are not that I have worked with. Especially at gas stations. Every gas station security video I have worked with is low resolution (usually 320 x 240 pixels) and records at about 2 frames per second. very fuzzy and jerky. This video is HD and full motion 30 frames/second.

4. They did the typical CSI "zoom in on a license plate" and "clear it up" - they went from a total pixelated image to a perfectly clear license plate number in a few seconds. Real life doesn't work that way. You can't get information where there is none. If you have enough pixels you might be able to guess at the numbers on a plate, but not reconstitute them in perfect HD.

5. A lot of time they just 'coincidentally' think of something that leads them right to the fugitive. They try to cover it up with some idiotic narrative but it doesn't wash. Once a fugitive couple was unexpectedly in one area that they had not planned on being in, and one of them decided to call up an old college friend she hadn't talked to in 15 years and borrowed a stranger's phone to call her (she still had her number? MEMORIZED?) -
                              meanwhile back at the control center, they said "we can't find them with their trusted circle of friends. We need to expand to the secondary and tertiary circle."

"Sir, I think she might be in the south carolina area and might reach out to some of her old college friends"

"Great, let's check that out"

"Here is a buddy she used to hang out with"

"Let's look into her"

Of course it was the very person the woman had called. Sheesh.
                              Yeah, that's a lot of red flags.

Comment