PDA

View Full Version : Imagine no politics, it is easy if you try...

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 10:20 AM
What would happen if you didn't comment on politics for an entire year?
What would happen if every time you wanted to crush some liberal's head you just prayed for her instead?

I think this might be worth a try.

Sparko
02-20-2017, 12:04 PM
What would happen if every time you wanted to crush some liberal's head you just prayed for her instead?

I think this might be worth a try.

Are you trying to destroy theologyweb, facebook and the entire media network?

REPENT YOU DEVIL!!!

One Bad Pig
02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
:no: Crushing heads is too messy.

Bisto
02-20-2017, 02:01 PM
That would be because A. The system is perfect, or B. The system isn't perfect, but its repression is.

I would imagine God's presence is like scenario A. And I guess a successful authoritarian, brainwashing regime could theoretically become B. I'd go for an apolitical Heaven (or perhaps a perfectly political Heaven) every time. There are better things to do with Him :thumb:

Bisto
02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Are you trying to destroy theologyweb, facebook and the entire media network?

REPENT YOU DEVIL!!!
Apologetics and Natural Science would increase their ratings, perhaps.

One Bad Pig
02-20-2017, 02:07 PM
I'll probably quit commenting at least for Lent. Politics isn't one of my favorite discussion topics anyway - but it passes the time when I'm trying to avoid doing something else.

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 03:23 PM
I'll probably quit commenting at least for Lent. Politics isn't one of my favorite discussion topics anyway - but it passes the time when I'm trying to avoid doing something else.I hope you do.
I wish I could give it up permanently.

I'm most impressed by I Cor 2:2:
"For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."

Somehow, I think Paul's purpose in this world would have been sullied had he spent a great deal of time arguing politics.

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Part of it for me is answering the question: "Where does power reside?"
For the Christian the answer isn't the United States Government.

Darth Executor
02-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Part of it for me is answering the question: "Where does power reside?"
For the Christian the answer isn't the United States Government.

Unlike liberals most conservatives have no stomach for politics and will quickly run away. Liberals otoh revel in the slaughter (of course it helps that they are the dominant political force, but they were fanatical when they were underdogs too).

And for Christians (and everyone else), yes, some power resides in the United States Government. Quite a bit though. Enough that the government can help turn your children and grandchildren into heathens you will never see again on the New Earth. Ignore it at your peril.

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 04:33 PM
And for Christians (and everyone else), yes, some power resides in the United States Government. Quite a bit though. Enough that the government can help turn your children and grandchildren into heathens you will never see again on the New Earth. Ignore it at your peril.

1: We're born in sin. That means the government doesn't turn people into heathens.
2: God reveals himself to whom He sees fit. Our salvation is entirely dependent upon Him. The government isn't an agent of Salvation.

Poor theology, Darth, even for you.

KingsGambit
02-20-2017, 04:35 PM
1: We're born in sin. That means the government doesn't turn people into heathens.
2: God reveals himself to whom He sees fit. Our salvation is entirely dependent upon Him. The government isn't an agent of Salvation.

Are you a Hyper-Calvinist, out of curiosity?

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't know what that is.
I just refuse to believe that electing the wrong President is going to send people to hell.

Over here we have the people who are going to go to hell if candidate A is elected and over here we have the people who will go to hell if candidate B is elected.....

Trout
02-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Hahahaha!

And bingo was his name-o.

Meh Gerbil
02-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Hahahaha!

And bingo was his name-o.
Mossrose,
Trout is picking on me again.

Meh Gerbil

Trout
02-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Mossrose,
Trout is picking on me again.I

Meh Gerbil

To even suggest a moratorium on political speech suggests you hail from Calvin's Geneva.

mossrose
02-20-2017, 05:30 PM
I just refuse to believe that electing the wrong President is going to send people to hell.

Over here we have the people who are going to go to hell if candidate A is elected and over here we have the people who will go to hell if candidate B is elected.....

It's just rearranging the deck chairs while the Titanic sinks.

mossrose
02-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Mossrose,
Trout is picking on me again.

Meh Gerbil

:hug:

KingsGambit
02-20-2017, 05:51 PM
There's a serious point in there, of course. Some people have such a high view of God's sovereignty that they reason that literally everything is predetermined so what we do on earth doesn't really matter. The classic example is John Ryland, historically associated with hyper-Calvinism, attempting to forbid a foreign mission trip by saying "Young man, sit down; when God is pleased to convert the heathen world, He will do it without your help or mine."

Trout
02-20-2017, 05:57 PM
There's a serious point in there, of course. Some people have such a high view of God's sovereignty that they reason that literally everything is predetermined so what we do on earth doesn't really matter. The classic example is John Ryland, historically associated with hyper-Calvinism, attempting to forbid a foreign mission trip by saying "Young man, sit down; when God is pleased to convert the heathen world, He will do it without your help or mine."

Believing God saves His elect and that group being finite and predetermined isn't hyper-Calvinism. It's garden variety.

Wouldn't you agree?

KingsGambit
02-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Believing God saves His elect and that group being finite and predetermined isn't hyper-Calvinism. It's garden variety.

Wouldn't you agree?

I'd agree, yes. But most don't extrapolate further that our actions on earth are unimportant in the context of the Great Commission. Roger Olson claims that this extrapolation is evidence of Hyper-Calvinism; I'm open to correction on that point.

Darth Executor
02-20-2017, 06:32 PM

I don't agree. People are wired to be followers. So government policy can have a huge policy on who or what they follow.

I'm not a Calvinist, God forbid. God saves but it's our choice to follow Him or not. And our choices are not purely our own but also influenced by those around us.

Darth Executor
02-20-2017, 06:35 PM

1. I agree, I don't think electing the wrong president, in and of itself, is going to send people to hell.
2. Showing up for elections is all the political activism most conservatives can stomach which is why they keep losing nearly every culture war. I actually think conservatives could do political activism better than liberals if you had the passion for it. But you're easily exhausted emotionally and quickly run for comfort (IE: this thread) while liberals are rejuvenated by victories and rejuvenated by defeats and just keep pushing relentlessly, like reanimated corpses that just won't stay down.

Jedidiah
02-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Let this amateur ask a question. If everything is predetermined (and I believe it is) then my personal testimony may also be predetermined. Is this consistent with hyper-Calvinism?

Meh Gerbil
02-21-2017, 03:38 AM
1. I agree, I don't think electing the wrong president, in and of itself, is going to send people to hell.
2. Showing up for elections is all the political activism most conservatives can stomach which is why they keep losing nearly every culture war. I actually think conservatives could do political activism better than liberals if you had the passion for it. But you're easily exhausted emotionally and quickly run for comfort (IE: this thread) while liberals are rejuvenated by victories and rejuvenated by defeats and just keep pushing relentlessly, like reanimated corpses that just won't stay down.
I think all the liberal has is government.
Its failure is a repudiation of their world view.
Its failure is a confirmation of my world view.

That written, I suspect people have different roles within the church.
Your role may be as an Inquisitor.
My role lay elsewhere.

Meh Gerbil
02-21-2017, 03:39 AM
It's just rearranging the deck chairs while the Titanic sinks.
You are the darkest person in this thread.
I sense fatigue.

mossrose
02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
You are the darkest person in this thread.
I sense fatigue.

Kasha's here.

Meh Gerbil
02-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Kasha's here.
So it is a good tired.

Meh Gerbil
02-21-2017, 06:57 AM
I just think it is hard to sell the idea that God is the source of power and that love is the greatest gift when I spend my time wrestling around in the mud with the lost over crumbs. It makes the crumbs look important.

There is a perspective out there that God's power is the opposite of Satanic power.
Satanic power is power over.
God's power is power under.

Satanic power is the power to force other people to do X,Y,Z.
God's power is the power to draw X,Y,Z out of a person - to make them into the type of person who does X,Y,Z because of a new nature.

Darth Executor
02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
I think all the liberal has is government.
Its failure is a repudiation of their world view.
Its failure is a confirmation of my world view.

It also has the souls and minds of most of our friends and neighbours.

That written, I suspect people have different roles within the church.
Your role may be as an Inquisitor.
My role lay elsewhere.

Cannon fodder?

Jedidiah
02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Kasha's here.

:yipee:

firstfloor
02-21-2017, 03:30 PM

I think this might be worth a try.I assume you meant to say 'comb some liberal's hair' but I'm not sure why you would want to do that?

Meh Gerbil
02-21-2017, 04:05 PM
I assume you meant to say 'comb some liberal's hair' but I'm not sure why you would want to do that?
Yes.
Yes of course.
Thanks for fixing that.