Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Women Speaking to Crowds of People at Public Places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Speaking to Crowds of People at Public Places

1 Timothy 2:11-12 says, " A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet." The context of these verses have to do with speaking when a church gathers for worship. From these verses, people have concluded that women should not preach to their entire congregation during worship services.

What do you think of women speaking to a crowd of men and women about how God saves sinners in a public place like a park or outdoor marketplace? I was just wondering because the context is not a worship service at a church; it is a public place. The people gathered are not necessarily a part of any congregation of believers.
    Last edited by Jaxb; 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM.

This is assuming that this was intended to be binding for all time and not for that particular situation, which is a hotly debated issue.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It is also Paul giving personal advice to Timothy, not everyone, and he was not writing for the Lord but for himself. He was writing a letter to a friend, he was not trying to write scripture and certainly wasn't writing a command from the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        It is also Paul giving personal advice to Timothy, not everyone, and he was not writing for the Lord but for himself. He was writing a letter to a friend, he was not trying to write scripture and certainly wasn't writing a command from the Lord.
        So is that to mean you do not believe 1 or 2 Timothy is holy scripture? (2 Timothy 3:16-17.)
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          So is that to mean you do not believe 1 or 2 Timothy is holy scripture? (2 Timothy 3:16-17.)
          From what I have read, scholars seem to think Paul had the Old Testament in mind when with those two verses and was not affirming that he was writing scripture. Having said that, it's obvious from his other writings that he was well aware that he had authority.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
            1 Timothy 2:11-12 says, " A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet." The context of these verses have to do with speaking when a church gathers for worship. From these verses, people have concluded that women should not preach to their entire congregation during worship services.
            People have concluded many different things from the passage, depending on how they translate it, and how they interpret it in light of various other passages.

What do you think of women speaking to a crowd of men and women about how God saves sinners in a public place like a park or outdoor marketplace? I was just wondering because the context is not a worship service at a church; it is a public place. The people gathered are not necessarily a part of any congregation of believers.
            I believe there is no distinction between men and women in terms of the ministries and "offices" in which they can serve.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              From what I have read, scholars seem to think Paul had the Old Testament in mind when with those two verses and was not affirming that he was writing scripture. Having said that, it's obvious from his other writings that he was well aware that he had authority.
              What Christian scholar says such? 2 Timothy 3:15 did of course refer to the OT, But what Paul wrote just following referred to all God-breathed writings.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I believe there is no distinction between men and women in terms of the ministries and "offices" in which they can serve.
                So do you think that women should be a husband of a wife?

Comment

What Christian scholar says such? 2 Timothy 3:15 did of course refer to the OT, But what Paul wrote just following referred to all God-breathed writings.
                  Albert Barnes saw it that way at least:
                  his properly refers to the Old Testament, and should not be applied to any part of the New Testament, unless it can be shown that that part was then written, and was included under the general name of "the Scriptures
                  . So we are back to where we started, which is the question of whether Paul was aware he was writing Scripture.

Comment

So do you think that women should be a husband of a wife?
                    So do you think that Paul, who is credited with writing the passage in question, was disqualified from leadership, given his unmarried status?
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Just wanted to stop by and state that this is relevant
                      Under point 5 of this essay which has "Now, let's consider I Timothy 2.11-14:"
                      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                        Just wanted to stop by and state that this is relevant
                        Under point 5 of this essay which has "Now, let's consider I Timothy 2.11-14:"
                        Can you summarize?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Can you summarize?
                          Sure. Basically, the new translation is :
                          "'I do not permit a women to teach or to declare herself the originator of man but she is to be in [peaceful] conformity [ with the Scriptures, as a respectful student]."

I took this straight out of the essay.
                          Last edited by Quantum Weirdness; 03-03-2017, 12:02 AM.
                          -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I read somewhere that in Atheist gatherings you're not allowed to speak if you're an effeminate man.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

It is scripture. But even in scripture every word is not a command from God. In the verses in question he use "I" showing that it is HIS way. Personal advice.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X