PDA

View Full Version : Facts

Scrawly
03-03-2017, 12:56 PM
"Providing people with accurate information doesnít seem to help; they simply discount it. Appealing to [people's] emotions may work better, but doing so is obviously antithetical to the goal of promoting sound science."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

shunyadragon
03-07-2017, 07:40 AM
"Providing people with accurate information doesnít seem to help; they simply discount it. Appealing to [people's] emotions may work better, but doing so is obviously antithetical to the goal of promoting sound science."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

Great article!!! Well worth the read.

shunyadragon
07-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Evidence clearly demonstrates that the motivation of human 'sense of belonging' and 'sense of identity' with a belief system takes priority over objective verifiable evidence, 'accurate information,' and results in a selective biased interpretation of what 'facts' are. This greatly influences relationships with those who believe differently, and science.

08-13-2018, 08:30 AM
This reminds me of a saying, "My mind is made up, do not confuse me with the facts." It brings up the issue, as to how willing one is to change one's own view. And as a person does one really want to believe what is really true?

It is easy to claim for oneself, to one's self, that one is going to actually believe what is actually true. We may think we do, but do we? Those who disagree with us, may see in us that is not really the case.

shunyadragon
08-14-2018, 02:07 PM
This reminds me of a saying, "My mind is made up, do not confuse me with the facts." It brings up the issue, as to how willing one is to change one's own view. And as a person does one really want to believe what is really true?

It is easy to claim for oneself, to one's self, that one is going to actually believe what is actually true. We may think we do, but do we? Those who disagree with us, may see in us that is not really the case.

It is rare that anyone claims only to one's self 'that one is going to actually believe what is actually true,' This is where the priority of one's sense of belonging and sense of being to the group, particularly how we are raised represents the dominant influence as to what we believe.