PDA

View Full Version : To be honest, I like millennials.

Meh Gerbil
03-06-2017, 12:52 PM
I like paying $5 an hour to have a Feminist Studies PH.D. clean out my rain gutters.
Someone has to do the job illegals won't do.

Ana Dragule
03-06-2017, 01:01 PM
I like paying $5 an hour to have a Feminist Studies PH.D. clean out my rain gutters.

Haha. Outside of teaching, that's most of the work that degree would train a person for, huh?

Darth Executor
03-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Haha. Outside of teaching, that's most of the work that degree would train a person for, huh?

Anita Sarkeesian seems to be doing a good job leveraging her feminism degree scamming progressives.

Meh Gerbil
03-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Anita Sarkeesian seems to be doing a good job leveraging her feminism degree scamming progressives.
Gives 'em a reason to earn money.

Jedidiah
03-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Scamming is another alternative for such a degree.

TheWall
03-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Sarkeesian is no idiot. She knows how to play people. Sometimes i wonder if she and Macintosh have fooled themselves. It is odd really. I enjoy games and comics and if anything I think forcing diversity and quotas is a deathnell to comics and art. I do think artist should be moral but you cant force people to be good. Anyway back to sarkeesian. She is an actor and a provocator. She knows niave people who want to do good but dont see the logical problems through poor judgement and lack of intuition might side with her and she knows rageclicks make her money. If abything the best thing to do against people like her is to spread truth respectfully and not insult her or be rude as your logic may be great but you indermine yourself.

These are my findings from experience.

thewriteranon
03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Sarkeesian is no idiot. She knows how to play people. Sometimes i wonder if she and Macintosh have fooled themselves. It is odd really. I enjoy games and comics and if anything I think forcing diversity and quotas is a deathnell to comics and art. I do think artist should be moral but you cant force people to be good. Anyway back to sarkeesian. She is an actor and a provocator. She knows niave people who want to do good but dont see the logical problems through poor judgement and lack of intuition might side with her and she knows rageclicks make her money. If abything the best thing to do against people like her is to spread truth respectfully and not insult her or be rude as your logic may be great but you indermine yourself.

These are my findings from experience.

Please. Sarkeesian is just Big Mac's mouthpiece.

TheWall
03-06-2017, 07:40 PM
I think anita is the mastermind.

rogue06
03-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Sparko
03-07-2017, 05:34 AM
It isn't just millennials who choose useless degrees. people have been doing that since I was in college.

They go to college because their parents say they need a degree. But they don't really have a clue what they want to do, so they end up taking some "easy" major just to get by. Then they are astounded when they can't get a job in the real world. At best they might get a job teaching that nonsense to other students in college, but not likely, because the colleges are already overloaded with people like them, teaching useless degrees to ruin the next generation.

Trout
03-07-2017, 05:56 AM
It isn't just millennials who choose useless degrees. people have been doing that since I was in college.

They go to college because their parents say they need a degree. But they don't really have a clue what they want to do, so they end up taking some "easy" major just to get by. Then they are astounded when they can't get a job in the real world. At best they might get a job teaching that nonsense to other students in college, but not likely, because the colleges are already overloaded with people like them, teaching useless degrees to ruin the next generation.

We sent one to college for a degree in elementary education. Which I tried to talk her out of. When she finished she couldn't afford to take the pay cut to put the degree to use. She worked in a pharmacy through college.

We sent another one to trade school to be a mechanic. He's rolling in money. Owns two homes, four cars, all paid for.

I don't know why we try to get kids to shy away from trade schools, as if it's some lesser path in life.

Meh Gerbil
03-07-2017, 05:59 AM
When I was about 30 years old I was laid off from my job in a laboratory.
I cracked open the paper and saw 3 full pages of ads for computer professionals.
I took four classes, jumped into an internship, and 36 months later was making 2X my previous salary.

Sparko
03-07-2017, 06:18 AM
We sent one to college for a degree in elementary education. Which I tried to talk her out of. When she finished she couldn't afford to take the pay cut to put the degree to use. She worked in a pharmacy through college.

We sent another one to trade school to be a mechanic. He's rolling in money. Owns two homes, four cars, all paid for.

I don't know why we try to get kids to shy away from trade schools, as if it's some lesser path in life.

Best bet is to find something you like to do and then figure out a way to earn a living doing it. That way you will WANT to learn and not just "skate by" learning nothing, or put all that effort into learning something that you either can't earn a living at, or hate earning a living at.

rogue06
03-07-2017, 06:37 AM
When I was about 30 years old I was laid off from my job in a laboratory.
I'm getting a Pinky and the Brain image in my head here.

Sparko
03-07-2017, 07:34 AM
I'm getting a Pinky and the Brain image in my head here.

21283Is Trout Pinkie then?

Trout
03-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Best bet is to find something you like to do and then figure out a way to earn a living doing it. That way you will WANT to learn and not just "skate by" learning nothing, or put all that effort into learning something that you either can't earn a living at, or hate earning a living at.
Having an honest mechanic in the family is better than having a doctor.

Jedidiah
03-07-2017, 11:07 AM

There are just so many new useless degree areas . . .

Jedidiah
03-07-2017, 11:08 AM

A bit late to be telling me that.

Sparko
03-07-2017, 01:17 PM
A bit late to be telling me that.I think you figured that out a long time ago.

Carrikature
03-07-2017, 01:40 PM

I feel like this is a really common statement, but I find it mostly empty. I'd love to find something I like to do and figure out how to make a living off of it. I can't even do the first, and even finding the first doesn't necessarily mean the second is possible.

I've read a lot of "figure out what to do with your life" stuff, and so much of it is 'find your passion'. I think passion sells books but doesn't make careers.

Carrikature
03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
There are just so many new useless degree areas . . .

It's also that college is now about the experience, not a step into a career. How much time and money is spent on nonsense classes?

Trout
03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
I feel like this is a really common statement, but I find it mostly empty. I'd love to find something I like to do and figure out how to make a living off of it. I can't even do the first, and even finding the first doesn't necessarily mean the second is possible.

I've read a lot of "figure out what to do with your life" stuff, and so much of it is 'find your passion'. I think passion sells books but doesn't make careers.

Good post.

Find something you can make a living at and hope it facilitates enjoying your hobbies.

mossrose
03-07-2017, 05:29 PM

My Dad was one.

rogue06
03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
From what Gerbil says I'd figure you'd be best off having a good lawyer in the family. :shrug:

rogue06
03-07-2017, 05:32 PM
It's also that college is now about the experience, not a step into a career. How much time and money is spent on nonsense classes?
:yes: Look at how often you hear about some college or university offering a course in some bizarre class. All they're doing is collecting tuition money.

Meh Gerbil
03-08-2017, 03:40 AM
I thought feminist studies classes were where one went to meet a wife.

rogue06
03-08-2017, 06:04 AM
I thought feminist studies classes were where one went to meet a wife.
Several decades ago at least half the women who went to college left within a year and a half. They were in search of a MrS degree.

Sparko
03-08-2017, 08:11 AM

worked for me. I loved art, and electronics/computers. I did not know of a way to make money at art at the time I was ready for college so I took electronics. Learned electronics and computers. This was before computer graphics. So then a few years later, after working in a factory doing wiring and electronics, Autocad came out and computer graphics. I took my passion, art and combined it with my other passion: computers and became an electrical draftsman. Then I became a graphic designer after going back to school. Since then I have had several "careers" but ultimately still revolving around computers and graphics (litigation support, video editing, web design, etc)

Darth Executor
03-08-2017, 05:49 PM

My college doesn't do a lot of nonsense classes. They force you to take a gen ed or two but that's about it (and even here at least half of them are useful general knowledge classes). Very few genuinely worthless programs too, most are business with a heavy dose of science or engineering. Amusingly, I think what kills lib arts here everywhere except at major universities are progressive policies that make college professors very, very expensive. Even with the use of part time profs to skirt around labour laws they simply can't afford to pay someone a hundred grand a year just to teach Post-Colonial Studies.