PDA

View Full Version : A modest proposal... a Taco is/is not a worldview.

Meh Gerbil
03-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Food cannot be a world view no matter how much you love it.

rogue06
03-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Does it depend upon the type of taco?

robrecht
03-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Obviously, you'very never met Wimpy. You know, from Popeye?

Meh Gerbil
03-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Does it depend upon the type of taco?
I really didn't want to get into denominations in this thread.

Meh Gerbil
03-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Obviously, you'very never met Wimpy. You know, from Popeye?
Can you please participate in a thread without slathering with white privilege?

rogue06
03-09-2017, 04:36 PM
I really didn't want to get into denominations in this thread.
I don't consider fish tacos to be True Tacosô

robrecht
03-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Can you please participate in a thread without slathering with white privilege?
That's racist.

Trout
03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Defining people by their worldview is hobby of mine.

shunyadragon
03-09-2017, 04:41 PM

The Taco is the victim of a worldview. They will probably eventually become extinct their populations devastated by merciless Gerbils.

Zymologist
03-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Let's taco bout it.

Littlejoe
03-09-2017, 05:59 PM
"Glory Road" Hot Dog-o scene: :hehe:

https://vine.co/v/MQt0pOjhXUO

guacamole
03-10-2017, 09:14 AM
So there I was, minding my own business, working on my laptop while my daughter and wife watch Food network. And this show comes on--one of those omnipresent contest shows--Cook or Con, I think--anyway, the dude who is the boss tells the cooks they are gonna make quesadillas. And he reveals the mystery ingredient: cranberries and turkey.

T-R-I-G-G-E-R-E-D.

Listen, gringos. A proper quesadilla is made of two things: a tortilla (preferably corn, the fresher the better) and cheese. Anything that is not a tortilla or cheese does not belong in a quesadilla. Hoisin sauce? No. Duck? No. A fall root vegetable medley? No. A melange of woodland mushrooms? Do you actually want me to punch you?

There are three cheeses you should consider using:

Chihuahua cheese is a kind of Mexican white cheddar or jack cheese--it melts and experiences separation, but has a rich dairy flavor.
Asadero cheese (sometimes called Queso Quesadilla or just "quesadilla" cheese) is reminiscent of a smoother melting jack cheese. It doesn't separate as much if you over heat it, but I find it doesn't have the same flavor as chihuahua cheese.
Oaxacan (don't embarass me at the store--it's pronouned wa-HOC-an) cheese is sold as a round ball of finger thick strings of cheese. It melts and tastes similar to mozzarella.

If, because you live down Rural Route 666 in Gringostan, you can't find those things, then you should use cheddar, jack, or mozzarella.

Now, properly done, a quesadilla is griddle cooked. If you must use a flour tortilla, then you don't need to add fat to the pan, because the tortillas will soften naturally as they cook. You don't need to fry them in fat, but you can.

If you are doing this right though, you have a corn tortilla. You might need to microwave it for ten seconds to make it pliable, or you are going break it in half when you try to fold it. ( A proper quesadilla is folded.) Alternately (or as I like to say, ideally) you can pan fry the tortilla in a little fat to soften it. Do not brown the tortilla, or again, you'll break it when you fold it.

Rick Bayless, Mexican Chef extraordinaire and arch-hipster, writes in his first book, the one he wrote before he became famous, that a proper Mexican-mexican quesadilla is actually made from a raw masa (Mexican cornmeal flour) tortilla. After the tortilla comes out of your tortilla press, put the cheese right onto the raw tortilla, fold, and fry. The inside is a gooey mixture of molten cheese and semi-raw dough while the outside is crispy. I did this once and almost died from bliss, so be careful.

There are a couple of good types of fat to use and all have their strengths and weaknesses: olive oil and lard are two solid choices. Some people, who are deranged, donít like the taste of lard. Butter is okay but can sometimes make your tortillas soggy because of its higher water content.
In my opinion, the best way to do this is to fry some bacon in a pan, and then fry the quesadilla in the bacon fat as you eat the bacon.

If you put the bacon on the quesadilla, thatís okay because you can put bacon on anything. Itís Godís universal vegetable. But while we are on the subject of bacon, you should consider chorizo which some of us consider Mexican bacon. Itís a (usually) pork sausage that crumbles as you cook it. The meet is infused with a mix of spices and flavorings that are astounding. Mexican chorizo is sold frozen or fresh, and if fresh it will smoosh if you poke it. Do not confuse this with Portuguese or Spanish chorizo, which is cured like salami. While fatty, I wouldnít fry the chorizo and then fry the quesadilla in it, because your tortilla will get a reddish cast from the oil. Chorizo goes on the inside.

So this then is the recipe:

First, in separate pans, fry as much bacon and chorizo as you and your dog can eat.
Second, make fresh corn tortillas from masa in your tortilla press.
Third, put some cheese, chorizo, and/or bacon in the tortilla. Fold it.
Fourth, fry it in the fat/oil.

If you do this right, then a proper quesadilla gets all over your shirt when you eat it standing over the stove.

Hereís an alternate recipe, that I call ďthe bachelor.Ē

First, open the bag of flour tortillas.
Second, put a slice of velveeta on the tortilla. Fold it.
Third, pop that symbol of your grief and loneliness into the microwave. It doesnít matter how long you cook it because you still wonít have a girlfriend or wife.
Fourth, sob about the pain of your life as you eat it. You might as well eat glue.

Pick either method. Itís your choice.

Cheers,
guacamole

PS. A quesadilla is a taco, and a puck is a ball.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 09:57 AM
So there I was, minding my own business, working on my laptop while my daughter and wife watch Food network. And this show comes on--one of those omnipresent contest shows--Cook or Con, I think--anyway, the dude who is the boss tells the cooks they are gonna make quesadillas. And he reveals the mystery ingredient: cranberries and turkey.

T-R-I-G-G-E-R-E-D.

Listen, gringos. A proper quesadilla is made of two things: a tortilla (preferably corn, the fresher the better) and cheese. Anything that is not a tortilla or cheese does not belong in a quesadilla. Hoisin sauce? No. Duck? No. A fall root vegetable medley? No. A melange of woodland mushrooms? Do you actually want me to punch you?

There are three cheeses you should consider using:

Chihuahua cheese is a kind of Mexican white cheddar or jack cheese--it melts and experiences separation, but has a rich dairy flavor.
Asadero cheese (sometimes called Queso Quesadilla or just "quesadilla" cheese) is reminiscent of a smoother melting jack cheese. It doesn't separate as much if you over heat it, but I find it doesn't have the same flavor as chihuahua cheese.
Oaxacan (don't embarass me at the store--it's pronouned wa-HOC-an) cheese is sold as a round ball of finger thick strings of cheese. It melts and tastes similar to mozzarella.

If, because you live down Rural Route 666 in Gringostan, you can't find those things, then you should use cheddar, jack, or mozzarella.

Now, properly done, a quesadilla is griddle cooked. If you must use a flour tortilla, then you don't need to add fat to the pan, because the tortillas will soften naturally as they cook. You don't need to fry them in fat, but you can.

If you are doing this right though, you have a corn tortilla. You might need to microwave it for ten seconds to make it pliable, or you are going break it in half when you try to fold it. ( A proper quesadilla is folded.) Alternately (or as I like to say, ideally) you can pan fry the tortilla in a little fat to soften it. Do not brown the tortilla, or again, you'll break it when you fold it.

Rick Bayless, Mexican Chef extraordinaire and arch-hipster, writes in his first book, the one he wrote before he became famous, that a proper Mexican-mexican quesadilla is actually made from a raw masa (Mexican cornmeal flour) tortilla. After the tortilla comes out of your tortilla press, put the cheese right onto the raw tortilla, fold, and fry. The inside is a gooey mixture of molten cheese and semi-raw dough while the outside is crispy. I did this once and almost died from bliss, so be careful.

There are a couple of good types of fat to use and all have their strengths and weaknesses: olive oil and lard are two solid choices. Some people, who are deranged, donít like the taste of lard. Butter is okay but can sometimes make your tortillas soggy because of its higher water content.
In my opinion, the best way to do this is to fry some bacon in a pan, and then fry the quesadilla in the bacon fat as you eat the bacon.

If you put the bacon on the quesadilla, thatís okay because you can put bacon on anything. Itís Godís universal vegetable. But while we are on the subject of bacon, you should consider chorizo which some of us consider Mexican bacon. Itís a (usually) pork sausage that crumbles as you cook it. The meet is infused with a mix of spices and flavorings that are astounding. Mexican chorizo is sold frozen or fresh, and if fresh it will smoosh if you poke it. Do not confuse this with Portuguese or Spanish chorizo, which is cured like salami. While fatty, I wouldnít fry the chorizo and then fry the quesadilla in it, because your tortilla will get a reddish cast from the oil. Chorizo goes on the inside.

So this then is the recipe:

First, in separate pans, fry as much bacon and chorizo as you and your dog can eat.
Second, make fresh corn tortillas from masa in your tortilla press.
Third, put some cheese, chorizo, and/or bacon in the tortilla. Fold it.
Fourth, fry it in the fat/oil.

If you do this right, then a proper quesadilla gets all over your shirt when you eat it standing over the stove.

Hereís an alternate recipe, that I call ďthe bachelor.Ē

First, open the bag of flour tortillas.
Second, put a slice of velveeta on the tortilla. Fold it.
Third, pop that symbol of your grief and loneliness into the microwave. It doesnít matter how long you cook it because you still wonít have a girlfriend or wife.
Fourth, sob about the pain of your life as you eat it. You might as well eat glue.

Pick either method. Itís your choice.

Cheers,
guacamole

PS. A quesadilla is a taco, and a puck is a ball.

That sure is a long post for something that is simply melted cheese on a tortilla. I think you are just a wee bit off your rocker.

Recipe:
Put cheese on a tortilla.
Melt it.

Eat it.

Boring! Now Tacos, that is like heaven on a tortilla. You got meat, lettuce, onions, hot peppers, cheese. All of the food groups. A balanced meal.

guacamole
03-10-2017, 10:04 AM
That sure is a long post for something that is simply melted cheese on a tortilla. I think you are just a wee bit off your rocker.

Ain't no wee bit about it, pirate.

Recipe:
Put cheese on a tortilla.
Melt it.

You forgot the bacon.

Eat it.

Boring! Now Tacos, that is like heaven on a tortilla. You got meat, lettuce, onions, hot peppers, cheese. All of the food groups. A balanced meal.

It's good stuffs.

But you forgot the most important ingredient. The...

guacamole!

Sparko
03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Ain't no wee bit about it, pirate.

You forgot the bacon.

It's good stuffs.

But you forgot the most important ingredient. The...

guacamole!

Bacon is for Tacos. Or for bacon.

guacamole is some of the most horrible stuff ever invented. It is like an alien puked on your plate.

guacamole
03-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Bacon is for Tacos. Or for bacon.

guacamole is some of the most horrible stuff ever invented. It is like an alien puked on your plate.

:mad: :rage: :incomprehensiblewaffling:

That's like saying pirates are simply sociopathic ocean-going hobos.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 10:17 AM
:mad: :rage: :incomprehensiblewaffling:

That's like saying pirates are simply sociopathic ocean-going hobos.

what's your point?

guacamole
03-10-2017, 10:45 AM
what's your point?

That they are also exquisitely delicate sociopathic ocean-going hobos.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
That they are also exquisitely delicate sociopathic ocean-going hobos.

thank you.

guacamole
03-10-2017, 11:35 AM
And therefore, guacamole is exquisite and delicate alien puke on your plate.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 11:38 AM
And therefore, guacamole is exquisite and delicate alien puke on your plate.

truthfully, to me guacamole doesn't have much taste at all, and the color/texture is just nasty and gross. There is no reason to put it on anything.

guacamole
03-10-2017, 12:35 PM
truthfully, to me guacamole doesn't have much taste at all, and the color/texture is just nasty and gross. There is no reason to put it on anything.

I don't even know who you are anymore.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 12:37 PM
I don't even know who you are anymore.

Besides, isn't guacamole the spanish word for this?

The Melody Maker
03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Pit two tacos against each other, and that's certainly something to taco bout.

:teeth:

thewriteranon
03-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Are you eating guacamole or mashed avocado?

Jedidiah
03-10-2017, 02:50 PM

I can safely assume that bacon is the exception that proves the rule.

Sparko
03-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Are you eating guacamole or mashed avocado?there's a difference?

thewriteranon
03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
there's a difference?

Yes.

QuantaFille
03-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Whatever you are eating that you think is guacamole, probably isn't even related to guacamole.

Littlejoe
03-10-2017, 08:18 PM
there's a difference?
Is there a difference between bacon and turkey bacon? There's your answer! :littlejoe:

Sparko
03-11-2017, 04:27 AM
Yes.
nevar! ECREE!

guacamole
03-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Whatever you are eating that you think is guacamole, probably isn't even related to guacamole.

This thread is really starting to confuse me. What guacamole are we talking about again?

Jedidiah
03-13-2017, 07:29 PM
there's a difference?

Avocado is wonderful, guacamole (the food) is thus wonderful as well. That other guacamole is okay as well.

thewriteranon
03-13-2017, 08:04 PM
I'm hungry. Pass the guacamole.