Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

When it wasn't the Will of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it wasn't the Will of God

Here's the outline of the situation.
    1. A man receives what he believes was a call of God on his life. This call requires a major change including relocation.
    2. Events happen that give the perception that God is opening doors to follow this call.
    3. Apparently those who he consulted believed also that this was a call of God. (I wasn't involved in this step.)
    4. The man takes 6 - 9 months to do the heavy lifting to prepare for the following the call.
    5. The man leaves on the call.
    6. About 6 months latter, the man has experienced a crushing failure and is returning home.

I personally believe the man involved is sincere in his belief that was God's call on his life. I also know hindsight is usually 20/20.

How would you respond in this situation? As you might discern from my avatar, tact isn't a strong point for me and I've already recognized my initial reactions are not helpful to the situation.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I'd need more facts, TM, and would sit down with the man to discover those facts.

It's SO EASY for us to want something, and to convince ourselves it's "God's Will", or even "God's Call". I've been there.

I think the biggest thing, though, is "what's next"? Does this event preclude following God in the future? I mean, it would be easy to use this as an excuse NOT to continue following.

I really don't know that the "crushing failure" is, or how much responsibility rests on the shoulders of the many to whom you refer.

Paul's advice to Timothy in two letters constantly encourages Timothy to understand that there ARE difficulties out there, there ARE people who oppose us (Alexander the coppersmith, for example) and lots of setbacks. He tells him to endure hardships like a good soldier, and, in effect, to "cowboy up".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think God's will is for us to familiarize ourselves with the Bible and to employ wisdom, not to read omens. If the guy was living by the word of God in a wise manner, then the failure should not stop him. If he was relying on mystical signs and feelings, then he got what he deserved.

Comment

Discerning between the will of God and the designs of man is the first thing you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          Here's the outline of the situation.
          1. A man receives what he believes was a call of God on his life. This call requires a major change including relocation.
          2. Events happen that give the perception that God is opening doors to follow this call.
          3. Apparently those who he consulted believed also that this was a call of God. (I wasn't involved in this step.)
          4. The man takes 6 - 9 months to do the heavy lifting to prepare for the following the call.
          5. The man leaves on the call.
          6. About 6 months latter, the man has experienced a crushing failure and is returning home.

I personally believe the man involved is sincere in his belief that was God's call on his life. I also know hindsight is usually 20/20.

How would you respond in this situation? As you might discern from my avatar, tact isn't a strong point for me and I've already recognized my initial reactions are not helpful to the situation.
          You might have to elaborate on what "crushing failure" is. Sometimes what seems like failure is just a bump in the road, or a very painful and/or scary test, as God is leading us to the destination he has for us. I always keep my focus on the life of the saints of the bible. Imagine being in Joseph's shoes while believing that God is leading you to the call he has for you. Most of us -- ESPECIALLY myself -- would have been devastated (psychologically and probably spiritually)if we went through what Joseph went through before God brought him to the destination he had for him. Or look at the life of Elijah as God was leading him through severe times of famine and persecution. The faith of these men absolutely amaze me. I wish we knew the back story, how they were raised, who taught them and how they got to point of unmovable faith during some of most severe tests they were put through.

Comment

Good post, Sean.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Thanks KG.

Comment

Crushing failure is a near nervous breakdown and having to leave the mission field. I know he was excited about what he was suppose to do and from personal experience he was good at it. I know that there were a few health question about him going in the first place. I'm certain the agency that sent him won't consider him again as a missionary.

Sitting down probably won't happen. He's not coming back here but to middle Ohio where his extended family is. This is good.

He's bounced back before from defeat but there is always a danger that this time he won't. He certainly had many talents that a good local church would benefit from.

You could with justification say he follows the fad of the day. He didn't always finish what he started. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this case.

Hope this helps everyone who has been kind enough to respond. I can suffer from Schadenfreude, "I-told-you-so-itis", or total tactlessness so I'm trying to be careful before I say anything.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Most of the Apostles suffered crushing defeat...from the world's point of view that is...(death by crucifixion: Peter, Andrew, Jude, Simon (Not Peter), death by beheading: Paul, Matthew, Mattais (who replaced Judas), James son of Zebedee, speared to death: Thomas. then you have those who were flayed, thrown down from a great height...etc. yet Christianity prospered. Why, because they were obedient. So, how do you rate success or failure? We are not called to be successful, or even sacrificial, we are called to be obedient. If he was, then he is a success no matter the outcome.

I'm a little rushed, so I hope that didn't come out as "harsh"

LJ
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Thanks for the insights, Littlejoe.

Comment