PDA

View Full Version : MormonLeaks

Sparko
03-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Yeah apparently there is a MormonLeaks, like Wikileaks, but for mormons. They release top secret mormon documents.

https://mormonleaks.io/newsroom/

Note: this is just for informational purposes if anyone is interested. Remember we still have a rule around here about not discussing the Mormon Temple Ceremonies and that still holds. This site might contain information that we are not able to discuss on tweb.

Meh Gerbil
03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Out of curiosity, why aren't we allowed to discuss the Mormon Temple Ceremonies?

Sparko
03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Out of curiosity, why aren't we allowed to discuss the Mormon Temple Ceremonies?

It is sacred to them and tends to drive mormons away from the site when they are discussed by nonmormons. So in concession we have agreed not to discuss the details here. We still allow general discussions about the ceremonies just not specifics.

Meh Gerbil
03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
It is sacred to them and tends to drive mormons away from the site when they are discussed by nonmormons. So in concession we have agreed not to discuss the details here. We still allow general discussions about the ceremonies just not specifics.Translation: This site is owned and operated by the Mormon Church.

Sparko
03-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Translation: This site is owned and operated by the Mormon Church.You got us. darn.

One Bad Pig
03-14-2017, 02:01 PM
I note that, due to this rule, this forum is crazy busy. :shifty:

Meh Gerbil
03-14-2017, 03:18 PM
You got us. darn.
So I can deconstruct an atheist's world view thereby leaving him an incoherent, slobbering moron (1) but we protect the Mormons?
Are they endangered?

NOTES
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: For examples of my handiwork see Tassman, JimL, sylas.

Bisto
03-14-2017, 03:25 PM
A question out of ignorance: are there topics for Muslims, Jews, etc. that similarly drive them away if discussed by 'outsiders'?

Do WE as Christians have any such topics? I've noticed sometimes that blasphemy gets edited(1) out, but that's about it.

(1): I am not sure whether this word should have a double 't' (as in "editted") not.

rogue06
03-14-2017, 03:49 PM
So I can deconstruct an atheist's world view thereby leaving him an incoherent, slobbering moron (1) but we protect the Mormons?
Are they endangered?

NOTES
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: For examples of my handiwork see Tassman, JimL, sylas.
I like the rule if for no other reason it allowed me to give my dear older little twin brother from another mother (:cp:: the prodder of bovines) his very first infraction/warning. :smug:

Good times. Good times :yes:

Trout
03-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Can we outlaw "worldview" threads?

Trout
03-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Mormonism is hemorrhaging membership. I think most Mormons have internet access now.

Littlejoe
03-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Mormonism is hemorrhaging membership. I think most Mormons have internet access now.Then it probably won't be long before the Mormon Church bans it from their members...:hehe:

Adrift
03-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Mormonism is hemorrhaging membership. I think most Mormons have internet access now.

It was my understanding that Mormonism was one of the fastest growing religions in the world behind Islam and non-denominational/Evangelical Christianity. Is that no longer true?

Trout
03-14-2017, 06:51 PM
It was my understanding that Mormonism was one of the fastest growing religions in the world behind Islam and non-denominational/Evangelical Christianity. Is that no longer true?

Their growth rate is as low as its been since 1937.
The growth they do enjoy seems to be outside the US, Latin America, Mozambique etc. Locally speaking, active membership has been declining for the last 25 years or so. They have less missionaries, report less baptisms, and aren't developing real geographic membership centers like they were.

Adrift
03-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Their growth rate is as low as its been since 1937.
The growth they do enjoy seems to be outside the US, Latin America, Mozambique etc. Locally speaking, active membership has been declining for the last 25 years or so. They have less missionaries, report less baptisms, and aren't developing real geographic membership centers like they were.

Is that in keeping with the general trend we're seeing throughout Christianity as well (I know most Mainline denominations are also seeing major declines), or are they losing members faster than even most Christian denominations?

Trout
03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Is that in keeping with the general trend we're seeing throughout Christianity as well (I know most Mainline denominations are also seeing major declines), or are they losing members faster than even most Christian denominations?
Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.

03-15-2017, 06:10 AM
There is something unique about Mormon Christians - the Mormon glow.
Researchers from Canada have proven that something is different about Mormons, and even those who do not subscribe to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can see it.

A study done by psychology professor Nicholas Rule, of Toronto University, shows that Mormons and non-Mormons alike can identify Mormons based on no more than their skin quality.

Sparko
03-15-2017, 06:44 AM
I think theologyweb is off limits to mormons because we kept deconverting them. Or scaring them off like Trout's brother in law LDStrue, and nrajeff. We are probably on some "do not go there or you might lose your faith" list.

Littlejoe
03-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.Do the Assemblies of God count as mainline? The 2015 U.S. Growth rate was 1.4%. In fact, they have had 24 straight years of growth. I think from what I could find, the AOG global growth rate is 1.7%

KingsGambit
03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
If the growth rate is declining, it's still by definition growing.

ke7ejx
03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

:lmbo: They claim it to be the case. However, they have horrible retention rates. Not to mention they're losing members a lot faster than they're gaining them.

ke7ejx
03-15-2017, 05:23 PM
I think theologyweb is off limits to mormons because we kept deconverting them. Or scaring them off like Trout's brother in law LDStrue, and nrajeff. We are probably on some "do not go there or you might lose your faith" list.

I can live with that :teeth:

setsurinvich
05-11-2017, 06:34 PM
:lmbo: They claim it to be the case. However, they have horrible retention rates. Not to mention they're losing members a lot faster than they're gaining them.

really? is that true?

ke7ejx
05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
really? is that true?

Yep.

setsurinvich
05-12-2017, 12:59 PM
any proof of that?

rogue06
05-12-2017, 01:07 PM
As an aside, a new employee at where I work is Mormon and was in a polygamous marriage (3 wives) from 20004 to 2014. I'm looking forward to picking his brain 22327 er, I mean :innocent:

Sparko
05-13-2017, 11:10 AM
20004? 10 thousand years from now?

tabibito
05-14-2017, 08:59 AM
20004? 10 thousand years from now?

"from 20004 to 2014" would indicate either BC, or perhaps they had some weird experience with living backwards through time. Not sure which is the more likely though.

Bisto
05-14-2017, 08:29 PM
"from 20004 to 2014" would indicate either BC, or perhaps they had some weird experience with living backwards through time. Not sure which is the more likely though.
Perhaps that's what poligamy does to you?

:outtie:

Doctrine Matters
01-31-2019, 03:07 PM
It is sacred to them and tends to drive mormons away from the site when they are discussed by nonmormons. So in concession we have agreed not to discuss the details here. We still allow general discussions about the ceremonies just not specifics.

I post on many apologetic sites, and it doesn't drive Mormons away at all. They simply don't comment. I think, personally, that people who are interested in the temple rituals can simply go to the NewNameNoah channel on Youtube and they'll be able to observe them for themselves.

Sparko
02-01-2019, 06:31 AM
I post on many apologetic sites, and it doesn't drive Mormons away at all. They simply don't comment. I think, personally, that people who are interested in the temple rituals can simply go to the NewNameNoah channel on Youtube and they'll be able to observe them for themselves.

We have had some mormons who got mad and left when we had some temple discussions here, so that is why we made the rule.