PDA

View Full Version : My feelings

Trout
03-22-2017, 07:54 AM
I try to be careful on the Facebook when I'm discussing a political subject. Not because I don't want to dig deep, or am scared of those who have contrary voices.

It's because people are so darn sensitive.

Inevitably someone gets their feelings hurt. And somehow I'm the bad guy. Even an innocuous subject like should we defund NEA. Who cares what my opinion is about that? Who cares that I think PBS drives a liberal agenda? Who cares what an aging farmer thinks? Apparently people care enough to get their feelers hurt. Gah .... get some thicker skin peeps.

Meh Gerbil
03-22-2017, 07:56 AM
It is a form of manipulation that, 9/10 times, comes from women.

Darth Executor
03-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Liberal men are basically women anyway.

rogue06
03-22-2017, 08:03 AM
One of the advantages of... perhaps the only advantage of, reading Nietzsche and Machiavelli at age 11 or so is that it is nearly impossible to make me feel guilty about such things.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 08:17 AM
I know exactly what you mean Trout. I have to be careful commenting on my liberal friends posts because they seem to take any criticism as me hating them. Or they go ballistic and turn into some crazed demon bent on my destruction. I have a liberal cousin, who always blamed Bush for everything (this was when Obama was president) - I made a few comments about how I liked Bush and thought he did a good job and it was not fair to blame him for everything. She went nuts, cussed me out and blocked me. My own cousin! And my comment was not nasty at all. It's crazy.

Darth Executor
03-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Wow I looked at Trout's FB page and it's even worse than Gerbil when he was being henpecked by a half dozen comedians. At least the Gerbil unapologetically swatted back at them. I always thought Trout wore the pants in this forum. I guess I was wrong.

Trout
03-22-2017, 08:47 AM
I know exactly what you mean Trout. I have to be careful commenting on my liberal friends posts because they seem to take any criticism as me hating them. Or they go ballistic and turn into some crazed demon bent on my destruction. I have a liberal cousin, who always blamed Bush for everything (this was when Obama was president) - I made a few comments about how I liked Bush and thought he did a good job and it was not fair to blame him for everything. She went nuts, cussed me out and blocked me. My own cousin! And my comment was not nasty at all. It's crazy.

I say things the nicest way possible. The liberals day things the meanest way possible. I really try to be nice/reasonable. Scary world out there.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 08:51 AM
I say things the nicest way possible. The liberals day things the meanest way possible. I really try to be nice/reasonable. Scary world out there.Yeah I saw some of the liberal posters on a few of your facebook threads and even tangled with one or two. They get irate at the drop of a hat and expect everyone to bow to their superior moral senses and knowledge.

I can't wait till (hopefully) all this political nonsense dies down some. People should be able to disagree on various subjects and remain friends (or family).

Darth Executor
03-22-2017, 08:55 AM
I can't wait till (hopefully) all this political nonsense dies down some.

Your hope is in vain, it'll end with civil war.

Trout
03-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Yeah I saw some of the liberal posters on a few of your facebook threads and even tangled with one or two. They get irate at the drop of a hat and expect everyone to bow to their superior moral senses and knowledge.

I can't wait till (hopefully) all this political nonsense dies down some. People should be able to disagree on various subjects and remain friends (or family).

The wife sees people in town and they jump her about some stuff I've said. She always tells them to leave me alone. People can't separate themselves from their ideas. Conservative views are like a brush fire, people have to stamp out any sign of smoke using any method available.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 09:11 AM
The wife sees people in town and they jump her about some stuff I've said. She always tells them to leave me alone. People can't separate themselves from their ideas. Conservative views are like a brush fire, people have to stamp out any sign of smoke using any method available.Your facebook posts are pretty innocuous. You aren't trolling or poking the bear. You just post something and make a humorous comment about it. Like your comment about Bert and Ernie and gun safety. I thought it was funny. Ka-boom!

Trout
03-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Your facebook posts are pretty innocuous. You aren't trolling or poking the bear. You just post something and make a humorous comment about it. Like your comment about Bert and Ernie and gun safety. I thought it was funny. Ka-boom!

I said pbs was in the business of propaganda in another discussion. Somebody flipped out and thought I wore a tin foil hat I thought the best way to communicate that was by saying you'll never see bert and Ernie at the gun range. I was wrong. The best way to communicate is silence.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 09:39 AM
I said pbs was in the business of propaganda in another discussion. Somebody flipped out and thought I wore a tin foil hat I thought the best way to communicate that was by saying you'll never see bert and Ernie at the gun range. I was wrong. The best way to communicate is silence.The only thing I watch on PBS is Sherlock and they imported that from the BBC. I used to watch NOVA, but haven't in many years. If they eliminated funding for PBS, anything worth watching will show up on another network, or already was from another network (e.g. Sherlock) and nothing will be lost. In fact, if PBS as an entity is really worth having, then they should be able to survive as a real network. Just sell advertising. If the shows are any good they will get viewed and PBS will make money. If it has to be supported by the government then it is just saying that it is not good enough to pay for itself and should be gone.

KingsGambit
03-22-2017, 09:46 AM
I think PBS (whose children's programming is excellent) and NPR (which I personally find snooty) could likely commercially survive on their own.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 09:54 AM
I think PBS (whose children's programming is excellent) and NPR (which I personally find snooty) could likely commercially survive on their own.The discovery network (history, TLC, science, discovery) seem to have. They basically started out with the same sort of programming. Of course now they are all about reality shows and alien abductions, and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen to PBS, but I think they could do it commercially and retain their standards.

rogue06
03-22-2017, 09:57 AM
The discovery network (history, TLC, science, discovery) seem to have. They basically started out with the same sort of programming. Of course now they are all about reality shows and alien abductions, and I certainly wouldn't want that to happen to PBS, but I think they could do it commercially and retain their standards.
Shows like NOVA, Nature and even Antique Roadshow could almost certainly make it on their own.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 10:02 AM
Shows like NOVA, Nature and even Antique Roadshow could almost certainly make it on their own.And even if PBS went under they could probably find another network like the Science Channel or the History Channel to pick them up.

KingsGambit
03-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Though the big thing about PBS is it's available through antenna whereas these other networks are cable-only.

rogue06
03-22-2017, 10:11 AM
I said pbs was in the business of propaganda in another discussion. Somebody flipped out and thought I wore a tin foil hat I thought the best way to communicate that was by saying you'll never see bert and Ernie at the gun range. I was wrong. The best way to communicate is silence.
Here at roguetech™ we have a line of stylish tin foil hats suitable for every taste. I think these might be right down your alley

21519 21520

Order now and you too can be as :cool: as this guy.

I might even throw in the nifty tin foil lasso for free :yes:

Darth Executor
03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
roguetech seems strangely devoid of any actual tech

Sparko
03-22-2017, 10:26 AM
roguetech seems strangely devoid of any actual techIt keeps exploding.

rogue06
03-22-2017, 10:26 AM
roguetech seems strangely devoid of any actual tech
roguetech™ has diversified into many endeavors. What else would you expect from a company that started out as rogue tech labs and bait shop?

Trout
03-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Though the big thing about PBS is it's available through antenna whereas these other networks are cable-only.

Stop having a reasonable conversation. It's un American.

Carrikature
03-22-2017, 12:28 PM
I try to be careful on the Facebook when I'm discussing a political subject. Not because I don't want to dig deep, or am scared of those who have contrary voices.

It's because people are so darn sensitive.

Inevitably someone gets their feelings hurt. And somehow I'm the bad guy. Even an innocuous subject like should we defund NEA. Who cares what my opinion is about that? Who cares that I think PBS drives a liberal agenda? Who cares what an aging farmer thinks? Apparently people care enough to get their feelers hurt. Gah .... get some thicker skin peeps.

Starts thread complaining about how people get their feelings hurt because feelings hurt.

This guy.

Sparko
03-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Starts thread complaining about how people get their feelings hurt because feelings hurt.

This guy.

Trout has, over the years, perfected the 'sarcastic irony' post.

it's his thang.

Trout
03-22-2017, 12:49 PM

This guy.

I think my feelings are impervious to dialog. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Carrikature
03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
I think my feelings are impervious to dialog. Maybe that's part of the problem.

That you think they're impervious? Could be.

Carrikature
03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Trout has, over the years, perfected the 'sarcastic irony' post.

it's his thang.

"My wife has to tell them to leave me alone" doesn't sound like sarcasm to me. :shrug:

Trout
03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
That you think they're impervious? Could be.

I can separate my ideas from my person. It's pretty impossible to hurt my feelings in a discussion. My wife runs into people with hurt feelings. She reminds them to leave me alone.

Trout
03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Mr. Carrikature, I'm an open book here .... if you have a question.

Carrikature
03-23-2017, 04:41 PM
I can separate my ideas from my person. It's pretty impossible to hurt my feelings in a discussion.

There's a distinction in here between "I won't be offended/hurt if you disagree with me" and "I have no emotions about the interaction". I think we're both the former. I don't think anyone is the latter. You can and do get frustrated with people and their reactions. That can and does affect your future behavior, even if it only means a mini-rant in a drama club.

Carrikature
03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Mr. Carrikature, I'm an open book here .... if you have a question.

Maybe explain how having impervious feelings could be part of the problem?

Trout
03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
There's a distinction in here between "I won't be offended/hurt if you disagree with me" and "I have no emotions about the interaction". I think we're both the former. I don't think anyone is the latter. You can and do get frustrated with people and their reactions. That can and does affect your future behavior, even if it only means a mini-rant in a drama club.

Well spoken.

I do expect, perhaps naively, those who challenge my religious/political holdings to be capable of logical discourse. Somewhat stripped of emotion. Our current climate certainly doesn't bode well for my expectations.

I'm always shocked when I suggest something innocuous like: our government should defund the National Endowment of the Arts, and I'm met with shrill emotion and name calling and unfriending.

It makes me glad I choose my words carefully in a more open setting than the likes of theology Web.

Sparko
03-24-2017, 05:45 AM
"My wife has to tell them to leave me alone" doesn't sound like sarcasm to me. :shrug:Maybe I should have used "smart-aleck"