PDA

View Full Version : Forum Policy

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 05:32 AM
Greetings:

After the recent kerfuffle in Apologetics 301 over 'quote mining' I thought it may be a good idea to clarify policy for The Drama Club. I don't want the stink of what happens in wastelands like Apologetics 301, Naturalism 101, or The Rolling Pin to make its way to these sacred grounds. Before I get to the policy let's define the term quote mining:

Quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as contextomy or quote mining) is an informal fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.

Suffice it to say: This behavior is absolutely forbidden in The Drama Club. To take the clear meaning of a passage and to distort it against the author's wishes is an act that makes me sick - it is a violation of a very personal nature and it will not be tolerated.

Now some of you are asking: "What if I'm losing an argument and I need a handy quote from a credible source to save my forum reputation?". My initial response would be to ask why you're engaging people in debate who are clearly smarter than you are, but I digress. I'll back pedal at this point and thank you for asking - because this question gets to the heart of the matter. My best answer is to do what I do in these situations and that is to custom craft a quote that meets your needs. You can win the argument and nobody can accuse you of quote mining.

If you are asked to provide a source, especially when asked to do so by the alleged author, blame the Russians.

It is these sorts of cutting edge policies that allow us to run the best fora on TWEB, but don't take my word for it:

I'm grateful to Meh Gerbil, and to a lesser extent, Trout, for running the tightest forum on TWEB.

Sincerely,
Meh Gerbil

mossrose
04-06-2017, 07:08 AM
The Rolling Pin? A wasteland?? A WASTELAND???

:glare:

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 07:23 AM
The Rolling Pin? A wasteland?? A WASTELAND???

:glare:

You admitted as much the other day:

My forum is a freakin' wasteland. I wish it was used to create high quality content, you know, like The Drama Club.

^--- I lead by example. You should try that sometime.

mossrose
04-06-2017, 07:51 AM
You admitted as much the other day:

^--- I lead by example. You should try that sometime.

But you said,

My bestest friend mossy has the bestest forum in the whole wide interweb! The Rolling Pin rocks as well as rolls! Great times are always to be had there, not like this boring, stodgy old Drama Club! And mossy is the most amazing person I have ever not met! I wish I WERE mossy!

Don't tell me you fibbed when you said that!

Sparko
04-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Sparko is the smartest and most honest person on the Internet. You can trust him with your bacon. Take my word on it. I never lie

Thanks MG. :demure:

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 08:02 AM
I stand behind both of those statements.
:hug:

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 08:03 AM
As an aside: Please don't abuse forum policy.

rogue06
04-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Greetings:

After the recent kerfuffle in Apologetics 301 over 'quote mining' I thought it may be a good idea to clarify policy for The Drama Club ... blame the Russians.
Got it :thumb:

Sparko
04-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Ban me! :thumb:

I like this new policy. :yes:

rogue06
04-06-2017, 08:13 AM
But you said,

My bestest friend mossy has the bestest forum in the whole wide interweb! The Rolling Pin rocks as well as rolls! Great times are always to be had there, not like this boring, stodgy old Drama Club! And mossy is the most amazing person I have ever not met! I wish I WERE mossy!

Don't tell me you fibbed when you said that!
Reminds me of the time he said

rogue06 is by far the coolest poster on Tweb. I wake up each morning eagerly wondering what pearls of wisdom he has posted today. And his ninja squirrel assassins are awesome as well. I strive to be just like him.

If I weren't the most humblerest person here I would put that in my signature :demure:

rogue06
04-06-2017, 08:15 AM
I'm really a tofu loving spy for the royal navy. Bacon sucks.

:stunned:

To be sure many of us have suspected it all along.

One Bad Pig
04-06-2017, 08:26 AM
To take the clear meaning of a passage is an act that makes me sick - it is a violation of a very personal nature and it will not be tolerated.
:hrm:

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 08:32 AM
Now that you've all received training and demonstrated your proficiency with the new policy you may now go and use your new skills for a career at CNN.

Meh Gerbil
04-06-2017, 08:43 AM
:hrm:
Bad Pig. Bad!

One Bad Pig
04-06-2017, 09:04 AM
:smug:

Darth Executor
04-06-2017, 11:39 AM
The Drama Club[/I]. I ... want the stink of what happens in wastelands like Apologetics 301, Naturalism 101, or The Rolling Pin to make its way to these sacred grounds. Suffice it to say: This ... is ... the clear meaning of ... the author's wishes...

a violation of a very personal nature... is the... sort... of cutting edge policies that allow us to run the best fora on TWEB, but don't take my word for it:

Sincerely,
Meh Gerbil

I couldn't agee more.

Great Shatner impersonation too.