PDA

View Full Version : Dumb

Meh Gerbil
04-10-2017, 01:36 PM
I had a certification test scheduled for Friday.
I took a practice exam today.
I've now rescheduled the test for next week Wednesday.

Wow, bombage.

Meh Gerbil
04-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Interesting question although I'm wondering what it has to do with the material I studied?

rogue06
04-10-2017, 01:51 PM
From the title may we presume that your trying to be certified as dumb? :huh:

Meh Gerbil
04-10-2017, 01:55 PM
From the title may we presume that your trying to be certified as dumb? :huh:
Nailed that entire certification path early on.

rogue06
04-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Nailed that entire certification path early on.
Flunked the IQ test?

Meh Gerbil
04-10-2017, 02:44 PM
My practice test score: 53.
To pass: 80.

Sparko
04-10-2017, 02:45 PM
MG You are certifiable. No denying that.

Darth Executor
04-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Interesting question although I'm wondering what it has to do with the material I studied?

It could be worse. I took a course called "mechatronics" because I thought it would teach me how to connect electronics systems to conventional machines. In fact the prof spent the first couple of weeks pimping a course we already took explaining about the coming industry 4.0 and the internet of things and how mechatronics connects electronics with mechanics and computers and bla bla bla. Course is p much done, exam next week, i still have no idea how to start so much as an electric engine with an electronic circuit (i suspect there's a transistor somewhere that can do the job relatively easily but even this knowledge didn't come from the course). The advanced version doesn't seem to cover much on this front either. I get the feeling I am being "yada yada'd" through their mechatronics option, seinfeld style.

Meh Gerbil
04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
It could be worse. I took a course called "mechatronics" because I thought it would teach me how to connect electronics systems to conventional machines. In fact the prof spent the first couple of weeks pimping a course we already took explaining about the coming industry 4.0 and the internet of things and how mechatronics connects electronics with mechanics and computers and bla bla bla. Course is p much done, exam next week, i still have no idea how to start so much as an electric engine with an electronic circuit (i suspect there's a transistor somewhere that can do the job relatively easily but even this knowledge didn't come from the course). The advanced version doesn't seem to cover much on this front either. I get the feeling I am being "yada yada'd" through their mechatronics option, seinfeld style.
Much of the stuff I have to memorize - normally I'd just Google.

Carrikature
04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Much of the stuff I have to memorize - normally I'd just Google.

Welcome to the professional practices exam for engineering. :yes:

Sparko
04-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Yeah the most valuable lesson I learned both in school and on the job is "how to look things up"

There is no way to memorize everything, especially if you don't use the knowledge every day. But once you can identify the problem and know how to look up the answer, you are "the expert" and unstoppable.

half of my job in IT is just knowing how to google the solution.

One Bad Pig
04-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the professional practices exam for engineering. :yes:
In my introductory astrophysics classes in college, we were expected to solve word problems by deriving the necessary equations and arriving at a solution without the use of any notes or calculator. Mercifully, the prof graded on a curve, but those were easily the most difficult exams I've ever taken. There's nothing like solving equations involving trigonometry, logarithms and calculus in your head. :argh:

Meh Gerbil
04-11-2017, 08:39 AM
In my introductory astrophysics classes in college, we were expected to solve word problems by deriving the necessary equations and arriving at a solution without the use of any notes or calculator. Mercifully, the prof graded on a curve, but those were easily the most difficult exams I've ever taken. There's nothing like solving equations involving trigonometry, logarithms and calculus in your head. :argh:
Sounds like a weed out class.
Get rid of the poseurs.

One Bad Pig
04-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Get rid of the poseurs.
It was good at that. The record while I was there was the first guy dropping out 5 minutes before the first class actually started.

Sparko
04-11-2017, 08:59 AM
It was good at that. The record while I was there was the first guy dropping out 5 minutes before the first class actually started.

you should have asked for a safe space.

Carrikature
04-12-2017, 12:50 PM

That sounds maddening.

I had a communications (signals) course where the professor wouldn't let you use calculators during exams. Everyone had a conniption. The problems were all based on identities and 3/4/5 triangles. Trivially easy. They still had a conniption.

Carrikature
04-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Get rid of the poseurs.

I think the intro to EE course at my university was the only one in the curriculum that wasn't billed as weed-out. Every class was on a curve. I got a 26 on an exam for Electromagnetics I. I got a high B. I don't understand how people are expected to learn in those courses.

Meh Gerbil
04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Took another practice test: 64.

rogue06
04-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Took another practice test: 64.
So you finally assumed room temperature.

Chrawnus
04-14-2017, 08:13 PM
mechatronics connects electronics with mechanics and computers and bla bla bla.

So basically, it's a "how to create your own mech-suit" course? Nice. :thumb:

Meh Gerbil
04-19-2017, 11:07 AM
I passed. Barely. :smug:

rogue06
04-19-2017, 11:50 AM
I passed. Barely. :smug:
All that studying for your IQ test seemed to help.