Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

A little query about Superman and Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little query about Superman and Batman

When did it come to be that Bruce is ten or fifteen years older than Kal?

Back in the day (Silver Age, '60s and beyond), they were very close to the same age. There was even a Superboy* story wherein teenage Supes met angry teenage Bruce (who was dressed in black, but was still sorting things out regarding his crime-fighting career).

*(Not the semi-functional clone, but "The adventures of Superman when he was a boy.")

I mostly quit collecting and reading comics in the late '80s. But in several that I have read, and in some of the small-screen and big-screen productions of the past couple of decades, Bruce often seems to be considerably older. When did TPTB make that change (which I hate)?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Shouldn't they both be dead or in the retirement home by now? They have to be over 100 years old. Superman appeared in 1938 and he was in his 30's, so he would have been born around 1905. He would be over 110 by now. Batman appeared in 1939 so he is about the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Shouldn't they both be dead or in the retirement home by now? They have to be over 100 years old. Superman appeared in 1938 and he was in his 30's, so he would have been born around 1905. He would be over 110 by now. Batman appeared in 1939 so he is about the same age.
      Kryptonians live longer than humans. As for Batman... well, he's Batman

'nuff said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comic books are weird. Adults never age, but kids and teens slowly age to adulthood. Of course, this happens in any series that runs for decades. We can't have the characters get old on us, now, can we?
        And I thought the age gap was only in the movies? Different universe.
        Last edited by Christianbookworm; 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Kryptonians live longer than humans. As for Batman... well, he's Batman

'nuff said.
          How do you know Kryptonians live longer than humans?

And Batman is not Chuck Norris.

Comment

How do you know Kryptonians live longer than humans?
            Because he's still fairly young at 105 years old Duh.

And Batman is not Chuck Norris.
            No. He's Batman

Norris has gotten old. Not Batman.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then explain why their supporting casts are also still the same age? Except that the Robins all age out of being Robin eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Then explain why their supporting casts are also still the same age? Except that the Robins all age out of being Robin eventually.
                Please cease and desist your unseemly attempt to interject logic into this discussion

Comment

p-0998-art-superman-aquaman-flash-wall-poster-700x700.jpg

Comment

Comic books are weird. Adults never age, but kids and teens slowly age to adulthood. Of course, this happens in any series that runs for decades. We can't have the characters get old on us, now, can we?
                    For a while, Marvel aged their characters, but slowly. It seemed to be something like one year in-universe for every two or three years out here in the real world. And for a while, DC explicitly held Superman at 29 years old and Superboy at about 15 years younger.

And I thought the age gap was only in the movies? Different universe.
                    It also exists in the graphic novel continuation of Smallville. I don't recall whether the various animated series ever addressed it.

So in current "official" DC continuity they're still about the same age?
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

In the comics, yes. Maybe those shows want to even the playing field by giving Batman a lot more experience? Except that Superman still could accidentally kill him if he wasn't careful. I don't like it when the writers have those two fight though. I'd rather that all good guys be friends!

Comment

In the comics, yes. Maybe those shows want to even the playing field by giving Batman a lot more experience? Except that Superman still could accidentally kill him if he wasn't careful. I don't like it when the writers have those two fight though. I'd rather that all good guys be friends!
                        The first time I saw them portrayed as being at odds with each other was in Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" books. Now that I think about it, that was also the first time I saw Bruce look way older than Clark, and I'm pretty sure there it was only because Clark didn't age under a yellow sun. Maybe that's where some writers picked up the idea. I also didn't like the extent of their friction, but the basic idea of Bruce having *some* qualms about, and even envy toward, Clark, does add texture to the relationship.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment