PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Moving

Carrikature
03-27-2014, 07:02 AM
So, my wife has been interviewing for a position in northwest Oregon. She doesn't have an official offer yet because her boss-to-be is working on finalizing the compensation package, but my wife basically has the job if she wants it (and she does). All in all, it looks like we're officially moving to Oregon sometime between now and the end of July. :yipee:

Moving will be a new experience. I've moved apartments and into a house, but I've never moved from a house to an apartment (let alone ~2,000 miles to another state). I know some of you have moved long distance (even to different countries). Any tips or lessons learned you can give me? Anyone in the Oregon area that can give me a good idea what to expect?

I'm obviously doing my own homework, but real life experience counts for a lot. :smile:

Cerebrum123
03-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Hope things go well for you there. :yes:

I know I certainly couldn't handle the cold.

Teallaura
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM
1) Start packing NOW. Anything you don't need in the next couple months belongs in a box which is carefully labeled (which room it goes in, whose it is, date packed).
2) Begin paring down - a house won't fit into an apartment so either you have to get rid of some stuff or you will need storage. Don't store stuff you don't actually want - it isn't worth it.
3) Decide on a moving company and touch base with them. I've never used one but better early than late where movers are concerned (so I hear).

Cow Poke
03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Compare the cost of moving things (furniture) to the cost of selling them and buying new. Seriously -- this could be an opportunity to "start over" with the furniture and appliances you actually WANT, rather than what you have.

And don't be concerned that the "new place" isn't completely furnished with stuff you moved up there. You need a bed to sleep in, and a kitchen to cook in. Other than that, you can spend some time collecting the other furniture you want as you can afford it.

It's not like you're going to entertain a lot of people in Week 1. Leave behind the most expensive-to-move items, unless they have serious sentimental value (the wardrobe your grandmother left you, etc).

Books -- it's often WAY cheaper to move books by "mailing" them, rather than having a moving company move them. The estimate from the moving company is going to be by weight and volume, and books, obviously, are some of the most "dense" things you have. I have shipped my books in the past "library rate" way cheaper than having to haul them with me.

As has already been said -- begin packing now, but number your boxes, and maintain a "cheat sheet" of what's in each box. Taking time to do that will save lots of aggravation on the other end when you need a particular item, and won't need to open a whole bunch of boxes until you find what it is you are seeking.

Cow Poke
03-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Moving companies, particularly cross country, don't just move YOUR stuff point to point. They will give you a "range of dates" for delivery, because they might even offload your stuff onto a different truck, mix it with belongings of other, "right size" the truck they eventually end up with, and schedule the most efficient route and times. The more demanding you are of a "date certain", the more expensive the moving company will be -- just like airlines -- flexibility is much more affordable.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Like the others said, sooner you prepare the better. Take only what you really need. How old are your kids? Will they need to take a toy or two? Or maybe they'll be happy with new toys. Check on their comfort level about moving so far...they may not want to let go of their familiar stuff.

Carrikature
03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Hope things go well for you there. :yes:

I know I certainly couldn't handle the cold.

Heh, it's not much colder than it gets here (surprisingly). It will be a lot cooler in the summers, though. And a LOT more rain...

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Forgot to mention... In our community we often get very nice yard sales from the military side cuz they normally have pretty new stuff to get rid of. They usually play up the nicer stuff in their ads. Do this with your stuff if and when you have your yard sale. But if it's mostly furniture, consider a house sale instead. Easier and safer since you wouldn't lug the pieces around and you can watch the stuff better.

Carrikature
03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Not going to quote people, but here are some comments etc...

1) We've started paring things down a fair bit. We don't know an official move date yet since I still need to find a job. It would be early July at the latest, though. We've been sorting through junk, and my wife found a home for at least one piece of furniture. I don't know what we can or can't pack just yet. That's next to work on it seems.
2) Most appliances will stay with the house (we actually just bought new ones to help it sell better). If we take anything, it would be the refrigerator, but we're trying to throw that in with the house, too.
3) I expect we'll put some things in storage. The general plan is to live in an apartment for a few months until we're more settled then start looking for a house.
4) Thanks for the tip on books. We have a LOT of books...
5) The cheat sheet is a fantastic idea for me to do.
6) Our daughter is not quite three (she'll probably be three by the time we move). She doesn't know we're moving, but there's little doubt most of her stuff is coming too. I'm going to secretly get rid of some toys. :noid:
7) My plan is to have wife/kid spend time with the MiL while I (and possibly my dad) drive up. Then I could pick up the wife/kid at the airport instead of driving ~21hrs with a three year old. That's probably a good time to move books, from the sound of it.
8) We have two cars, one of which I'll probably be driving up. Is it better to ship the second or just sell and buy a new one?
9) I hadn't thought about a house sale. Depending on what it is, we're more likely to just donate to goodwill, though.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

Cow Poke
03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
To me, C, the Cheat Sheet was probably the most helpful. Simply labeling a box "bedroom" or "living room" isn't nearly as helpful as knowing that "the chess board is in box #22".

As part of the process, I tend (just because I'm anal this way) to put the most likely needed items in the lower numbered boxes, so I unpack them accordingly.

Stuff I know I won't need fairly soon after the move will be in the higher numbered boxes -- quilts, extra bed sheets, blankets, wedding presents we've never used, etc.

And I like keeping my cheat sheet in an Excel spreadsheet or something on my laptop or ipad so I can do a quick e-search. :smile:

Teallaura
03-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Depends on how much you owe as to whether selling it and getting a new one is a good plan. If you have the time you can take a bus back and drive the car yourself - much cheaper than shipping (and you can pack more books!). I would not replace a paid for vehicle if you are planning to buy a house soon.

Since you're going to be using storage, you might consider a container shipper like PODS. Pack it yourself, they ship and then store it until you're ready.

Leave the fridge. Most apartments will already have one and it will just take up storage space and then not fit the new house (because fridges do that, you know. :wink:)

KingsGambit
03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Leave the fridge. Most apartments will already have one and it will just take up storage space and then not fit the new house (because fridges do that, you know. :wink:)

The same with washers/dryers.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 10:04 AM
How old are the vehicles and in what shape are they? You may be better off selling the one.

I remember Oregon as being very ecologically minded. They had some very strict rules about travel trailers when we went through. Lessons they learned from other states about pollution and keeping their state green.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 10:16 AM
When I was living in apartments, fridges were extra. That may have changed.

Cow Poke
03-27-2014, 10:23 AM
As part of the process, I tend (just because I'm anal this way) to put the most likely needed items in the lower numbered boxes, so I unpack them accordingly.

I might add that I don't SEAL these "lower numbered" boxes til the last minute, and load them onto the truck or in the car last, so they are LIFO. :smile:

Catholicity
03-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Obviously KG and I moved me accross the country not to long ago. I would STRONGLY encourage getting a mobile storage Unit. For a houseful I would be going for PODS or something similar as opposed to UBOX. UBOX is good for apartments PODS for a house. Weigh the cost of what you have and DOWNSIZE IT, and PLEASE DO NOT MOVE IT YOURSELF. A good mobile storage will deliver the unit needed to your home, you pack it, take it and deliver it to your new house, then pick it up. Which for a big move is worth the price tag. Get rid of anything torn, broken down, mildewed, molded, etc. If it's basically not "brand new" condition, or familial value, you can replace it with nice 2nd hand stuff. (we're talking serious experience here) Of course I pretty much only took the bare necessities and the wrong boxes, I ended up throwing the wrong boxes and giving the good ones away, I pretty much needed all new clothing due to the baby anyhow and Annie hit a MASSIVE growth spurt. SHEESH!!! the things we forget about...

Cerebrum123
03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Heh, it's not much colder than it gets here (surprisingly). It will be a lot cooler in the summers, though. And a LOT more rain...

Rain, cold, not much of a difference as far as my body can tell...

I wouldn't be able to handle either actually. :sigh:

Carrikature
03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
The fridge is either staying with the house or being given to a relative. I had forgotten about the washer/dryer. In this area, fridges go with the person unless it's an apartment (though often you need your own microwaves depending on the complex). I know that can be different in other locations, but I don't know about Oregon.

My car is a Honda Fit, and we paid for it completely up front. My wife's car is a 2010 Honda CR-V, and I don't remember what we owe on it. I would guess ~14k. I know there are inspections required to register a car in Oregon that aren't required here. I'll have to look into what that takes. The bus ride back is not a bad idea, it just makes the process that much longer.

Most of our furnishings are in like new condition. I have no idea what we're going to do with artwork, but I suspect that's all going with us...

Teallaura
03-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Start eating all that stuff in the freezer. Aim for having nothing left in the fridge by the time you are ready to move so if you must buy ketchup, get the small size.

All that shredded paper at the office makes great packing material - see if it's okay to take a few bags home.

Check with a vet in Oregon to see if your pet's shots are up-to-date for Oregon. Especially check whether or not the current rabies is okay for them.

Figure out how pets will travel and go ahead and get the carriers you'll need. Then start crate training if they aren't already - it's a long trip either way.

Use up supplies as much as possible between now and then - why ship 32 rolls of TP? But do have one box of 'necessities' for when you arrive - and include a couple rolls of TP. Dragging your exhausted self to Wally World after a day of unloading/unpacking for TP and tooth paste is no fun.

I wouldn't ship a washer and dryer unless they were brand new (and my high end babies) - you can always use the Laundromat until you find a used set in the classifieds. (Yes, I are cheap - why do you ask?)

Cow Poke
03-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Start practicing "99 bottles of beer on the wall".

Teallaura
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM

^Yeah, that! :wink:

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
LOL. Our pit stops were our pets' pit stops.

Carrikature
03-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Check with a vet in Oregon to see if your pet's shots are up-to-date for Oregon. Especially check whether or not the current rabies is okay for them.

Figure out how pets will travel and go ahead and get the carriers you'll need. Then start crate training if they aren't already - it's a long trip either way.

The dogs moved to my parents' house a year or two ago. We have a guinea pig that is free to a good home...

If only. :sigh:

KingsGambit
03-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Cath and I sang that when driving cross country.

We had a couple interesting moments with her cat as well. He got thirsty and stopped drinking anything. We had to stop at a grocery store in Illinois to buy a syringe for him.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah cats don't generally like travel. We had one who hated it until we got a travel trailer. Once he figured out there was a house following us, he was more agreeable.

Raphael
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Furthest I've moved in 12000km. WE got professionals to pack all our stuff up into a container and gave away/ tossed what didn't fit. The container went on a ship we went on a plane.

The one thing I learnt , you have too much junk you will take with you, throw more away.....

ETA: pets.....when moving locally I found on the main packing and unpacking days, it was best to put the cats into a cattery for a few days.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Got a lot of help didn't you?

Raphael
03-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Got a lot of help didn't you?

Not really. Mostly didn't want to stress the poor kitty cat out. Also means that the cat can settle in to the new house without everything being frantic.

DesertBerean
03-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Oh ok. Most of mine were like that. Only one was a people cat...He even helped the plumber fix my sink.

Teallaura
03-28-2014, 06:18 AM
The dogs moved to my parents' house a year or two ago. We have a guinea pig that is free to a good home...

If only. :sigh:

That's why you haven't mentioned them in a while, huh? :doh:

Catholicity
03-28-2014, 06:39 AM
My cat mostly did ok. He was especially fine after we bathed him, syringed him some water. He preferred sitting with the driver and looking out the window of the car.

Teallaura
04-01-2014, 04:11 PM
From Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/245446248415651802/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/245446248415646461/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/245446248415641863/

Carrikature
04-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Teal. I'll check those out when I get home.

Carrikature
04-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Quick update on this. The current plan is this:

The house will go on sale the last week of May. My wife's last day at her current job will be July 3rd (4th?). My last day will be no later than July 9th. We have sisters (one for each of us) getting married the 11th and 19th. My wife's start date is going to be sometime the week of 21-25th of July. My start date is tentatively August 1st.

I need to work out moving dates asap. We should be able to vacate the house July 7th or so, with anticipated delivery set for July 16th (includes one vehicle). My family and I will go to Lubbock for the 11th wedding. I will leave from there driving to the new place and directing moving. Not sure yet if my wife will come with me or not. Kid will go with grandparents for sure. I and whoever goes with me will leave the car at Portland airport then fly back to Lubbock for the other wedding. We'll have to hitch rides that weekend, but that's not a big deal. Family can drop us off at Lubbock airport the morning of the 20th.

It's definitely going to be a crazy time.

Teallaura
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Is your housing market that hot? :uneasy:

Sparko
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM

I was going to ask the same thing. In my neighborhood, there have been very nice and affordable homes for sale for over 2 years now. Just sitting there. He might have to just move, and live in an apartment and keep paying his mortgage on his old house until the realtor can sell it for him.

Carrikature
04-02-2014, 01:46 PM

It is, actually. There are comps that have sold in two days. From what I'm given to understand, the current inventory for homes with our value range is ~6,500. That's for the entire DFW metroplex. If it's priced right, we're realistically expecting two weeks at the outset with multiple offers getting us ~97% of asking price. It's absolutely insane.

Teallaura
04-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Wow. Glad for you - but also glad I don't have to buy there!

Carrikature
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Wow. Glad for you - but also glad I don't have to buy there!

No kidding! A co-worker was looking for houses in a nearby area, but she ultimately gave up and is settling for an apartment until things calm down. At least one house in that area had multiple offers in a matter of hours.

DesertBerean
04-02-2014, 02:15 PM
97% of asking? Not bad.

Teallaura
04-03-2014, 07:57 AM
No kidding! A co-worker was looking for houses in a nearby area, but she ultimately gave up and is settling for an apartment until things calm down. At least one house in that area had multiple offers in a matter of hours.

Ouch...

Teallaura
04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Another tip: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/245446248415203027/

Basically, they Saran wrapped the cutlery tray. Soooo doing this myself next time!

Sparko
04-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Basically, they Saran wrapped the cutlery tray. Soooo doing this myself next time!

Here is the best tip. Get your friends to help you move in exchange for pizza.

...then while they are doing all the work, tell them you are going to get the pizza. Come back 3 or 4 hours later and the job is done.

Teallaura
04-05-2014, 04:26 PM
:brood:

Sparko
04-06-2014, 06:15 AM
what??? It' a perfectly cromulent plan. It embiggens everyone.

Teallaura
04-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Carrikature
04-16-2014, 08:46 AM

I'm pretty sure we did something close to this the last time we moved.

Carrikature
05-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Well, it's happening. We go to market next Wednesday, the 28th. We'll be out of town that weekend but back on Sunday. We're expecting to have had a few offers by then, and the realtor said she'd have an open house that Saturday or Sunday if she wasn't happy with the immediate interest levels.

Teallaura
05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
:thumb:

:pray:

Bill the Cat
05-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Here is the best tip. Get your friends to help you move in exchange for pizza.

...then while they are doing all the work, tell them you are going to get the pizza. Come back 3 or 4 hours later and the job is done.

Feigning an arthritic knee works great too! :yes:

Carrikature
05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
So for those who are interested, my house went on the market yesterday afternoon ~3pm. There were five showings yesterday and ten or so today. We met with the realtor this evening to go over the four offers we've received so far. Did some minor adjustment (timeline only) to the best one and sent it back. Hoping to hear tomorrow. Have I mentioned the market here is crazy?

robrecht
05-29-2014, 06:47 PM
So for those who are interested, my house went on the market yesterday afternoon ~3pm. There were five showings yesterday and ten or so today. We met with the realtor this evening to go over the four offers we've received so far. Did some minor adjustment (timeline only) to the best one and sent it back. Hoping to hear tomorrow. Have I mentioned the market here is crazy?Sounds like a sellers market. Oil boom in Texas? Hopefully, for your sake, things are easier on buyers in Oregon.

Teallaura
05-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Wow...

Carrikature
05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a sellers market. Oil boom in Texas? Hopefully, for your sake, things are easier on buyers in Oregon.

It's definitely a sellers market. I don't think it's an oil boom (that would be further south), but I really couldn't guess the reason. We've rented an apartment in Oregon, though. We didn't want to attempt moving 2000 miles AND finding a house.

Carrikature
05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
And the prospective buyers accepted our timeline changes, so we're officially on countdown. Fingers crossed...

Teallaura
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
:woohoo:

Hope all goes well.

:pray:

DesertBerean
05-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I saw a couple of reports that said 40% of home purchases over the last year were all cash. Generally, the buyers had sold their homes and used the proceeds for their new one.

Cerebrum123
05-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Hope the move goes well. :yes: