Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Numbers 5:21 - 22, Dark Meat, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers 5:21 - 22, Dark Meat, Anyone?

This came up in another thread. The assertion is that the 'thigh' in 5:21 and 22 is referring to the woman's genitals. The NIV translates it as 'womb' but Strong's and ISBE don't seem to support that.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/...gs=H3409&t=KJV

So, what is the term referring to in this passage?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    This came up in another thread. The assertion is that the 'thigh' in 5:21 and 22 is referring to the woman's genitals. The NIV translates it as 'womb' but Strong's and ISBE don't seem to support that.

According to Jacob Milgrom in The JPS Torah Commentary: Numbers (Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society, 1990),
    "Thigh" probably is a euphemism for the procreative organs (...), thus referring to the physical inability to beget children (...).

Comment

Okay, thanks. Hmmm....
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hello again.
        http://biblehub.com/hebrew/3409.htm
        Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance
        body, loins, shaft, side, thigh
        From an unused root meaning to be soft; the thigh (from its fleshy softness); by euphem. The generative parts; figuratively, a shank, flank, side -- X body, loins, shaft, side, thigh.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

FF, I posted that - didn't dispute the possible understanding of genitalia (although it cannot be every case because it makes no sense). The question is what it means in the actual passage - and John posted a support for part of your reading.

It hasn't proven the abortion case by a long shot but I want to think about it before framing the next question.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

FF, I posted that - didn't dispute the possible understanding of genitalia (although it cannot be every case because it makes no sense). The question is what it means in the actual passage - and John posted a support for part of your reading.
            It hasn't proven the abortion case by a long shot but I want to think about it before framing the next question.
            No problem. I am sitting on my hands.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X