PDA

View Full Version : This quote tho

Trout
07-04-2017, 06:45 PM
“The British are barbarians camped out in the relics of an older and superior civilization to whose beauties they are oblivious.” Theodore Dalrymple

Such a thing could easily be said of modern day america.

Jedidiah
07-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Yep. Very apt for modern United States.

tabibito
07-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Yep. Very apt for modern United States.

Western culture generally, methinks.

Carrikature
07-05-2017, 12:53 PM
What older and superior civilization would that be for the US, though?

Jedidiah
07-05-2017, 03:54 PM

The US of the past.

Trout
07-05-2017, 07:34 PM

The ancestral pueblo

Carrikature
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
The US of the past.

That's the same civilization. Recently, I've been taking classes about the Founding Fathers and early US history. Safe to say 'older and superior' is a myth. Look up some information on the Adams/Jefferson presidential race sometime. That's just a taste.

Carrikature
07-06-2017, 02:35 PM
The ancestral pueblo

Why not the wigwam?

One Bad Pig
07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
That's the same civilization. Recently, I've been taking classes about the Founding Fathers and early US history. Safe to say 'older and superior' is a myth. Look up some information on the Adams/Jefferson presidential race sometime. That's just a taste.
Well, same politics at any rate. Although it used to be legit to give out whiskey to get people to vote - THOSE were the good ol' days!

Trout
07-06-2017, 06:24 PM

I've been taking a class that says the opposite.

Jedidiah
07-06-2017, 07:43 PM

The USA of 60 years ago was certainly superior. And in spite of what may or may not have happened in politics, and other seriously negative things, society was superior.

rogue06
07-07-2017, 01:07 AM
A Trout with class? Unpossible says I.

Sparko
07-07-2017, 07:57 AM
A Trout with class? Unpossible says I.fish school.

Carrikature
07-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Opposite of what? I didn't even state what the class said.

Carrikature
07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
The USA of 60 years ago was certainly superior. And in spite of what may or may not have happened in politics, and other seriously negative things, society was superior.

The USA of 60 years ago gave us the Cold War, McCarthyism, the Vietnam War, and the Korean War. Segregation was in full swing, with significant resistance to rulings like Brown v. Board of Education and its implications.

You'd have far more success arguing that 50 years ago was superior given how much of that decade was push back against the 50s.

Carrikature
07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
fish school.

That boy is like school on Saturday...no class.

Jedidiah
07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
The USA of 60 years ago gave us the Cold War, McCarthyism, the Vietnam War, and the Korean War. Segregation was in full swing, with significant resistance to rulings like Brown v. Board of Education and its implications.

You'd have far more success arguing that 50 years ago was superior given how much of that decade was push back against the 50s.
I never said it was perfect, but far superior to what is going on now.

Trout
07-13-2017, 06:10 PM

The quote in the op was in regards to architecture. Not so much the cold war and such.

You have a hair trigger today, dude. I'm going to send you some Colorado weed.

rogue06
07-14-2017, 07:18 AM
The quote in the op was in regards to architecture. Not so much the cold war and such.

Does that work like a Snickers Bar?

Darth Executor
07-14-2017, 08:11 AM
The USA of 60 years ago gave us the Cold War,

The USA gave us the cold war?

McCarthyism, the Vietnam War, and the Korean War.

Nothing wrong with the first one, and the US didn't start the last two anymore than it started the Cold War.

Segregation was in full swing, with significant resistance to rulings like Brown v. Board of Education and its implications.

Segregation is nothing compared to abortion.

50 years ago was the demonic boomer generation beginning to fulfill its role as THE Antichrist.

Carrikature
07-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Ofc the quote wasn't about the Cold War. I brought up that up in response to Jed's nonsense about a superior USA.

I'm not the one that made this a civics discussion.

Carrikature
07-17-2017, 10:56 AM
I never said it was perfect, but far superior to what is going on now.

Call it blatantly ignoring all the bad things in favor of nostalgia, then.