Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Mockingbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mockingbirds

Do ya have any in your area?

There are two that seem to hang out around my front yard, watching for squirrels trying to cross the street.
    They work in a team to chase the squirrels back and forth - and more than a few times, I've seen one of the mockingbirds snatch the tail of a squirrel, and kinda flip him in the air, apparently "just for fun".

They're fun to watch.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't think we get mockingbirds here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I don't think we get mockingbirds here.

I wondered - it says North America, including Mexico, US and Canada.

Northern mockingbirds live throughout North America, including Canada and Mexico. They are most common in the southern United States, especially in Texas and Florida. They breed from northern California, eastern Nebraska, southern Ontario and Atlantic Canada to southern Mexico.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lest others wonder....

1200px-Mimus_polyglottos_adult_02_cropped.jpg

Comment

This is interesting... a whole range of mockingbird songs...

Northern Mockingbird singing and singing and singing and occasionally leaping up out of frame for a brief flight display. He does a lot of Great-tailed Grackle calls, some Cardinal and Cactus Wren. He does a bit of car alarm at 2:50, and he does an AMAZING "Mourning Dove taking off" imitation at 10:21. How many bird calls can you recognize him "mocking"?

Comment

Interesting kind of bird, it seems.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Northern mockingbirds live throughout North America, including Canada and Mexico. They are most common in the southern United States, especially in Texas and Florida. They breed from northern California, eastern Nebraska, southern Ontario and Atlantic Canada to southern Mexico.
              Well, according to my provincial bird book, the northern mockingbird spends the summer breeding in the southeast corner of the province. So it doesn't get up this far even in summer.

The only other mockingbird this book refers to is called the Sage Thrasher, and it "might" have a breeding area in the same southeast corner of the province, but apparently is not found anywhere else.

So, I don't think we have mockingbirds here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You know, I have never noticed any. They look rather plain so I might have seen them and never paid attention.

Can they imitate speech?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You know, I have never noticed any. They look rather plain so I might have seen them and never paid attention.

Can they imitate speech?
                  I've never heard of them imitating speech - just stealing the songs of other birds, and even car alarms.

Comment

Not all of the US and Canada.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

We have them around here. I don't really watch them though so I have never seen the antics with squirrels. We have many more grackles than anything else, it seems. So many that it's common to hear recordings of their distress calls being played on speakers in parking lots to keep them away. I haven't paid attention but the mockingbirds around here have probably started imitating that, too.
                      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Not all of the US and Canada.
                        Yeah, they obviously left out some of the most important parts.

Comment

That's kinda like having an international airport, though. They have one flight that goes to some small town across the border.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            That's kinda like having an international airport, though. They have one flight that goes to some small town across the border.
                            Like a Texas based airline flying to Louisiana?

Comment

Our mockingbirds are much darker than that pic. They pick up sounds but I'm not aware of them imitating speech. They do pick on cats and dogs.

Our ravens are a bigger pain however.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X