PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian columnist wants to sue Israel for ten plagues

KingsGambit
04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
An Egyptian columnist has proposed that Egypt sue Israel for damages from the ten plagues in Exodus. Here is OT scholar Claude Mariottini's take:

http://claudemariottini.com/2014/04/04/suing-israel-for-the-damage-caused-by-the-ten-plagues-in-egypt/

RBerman
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Keep us posted! I'd like to sue Adam and Eve myself.

thewriteranon
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
This is the best.

KingsGambit
04-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Payment will come via their descendants, I'm sure.

RBerman
04-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Payment will come via their descendants, I'm sure.

Oh, like I could track them down at this late date! :P

Zymologist
04-07-2014, 10:07 AM
An Egyptian columnist has proposed that Egypt sue Israel for damages from the ten plagues in Exodus. Here is OT scholar Claude Mariottini's take:

http://claudemariottini.com/2014/04/04/suing-israel-for-the-damage-caused-by-the-ten-plagues-in-egypt/

Wouldn't it make more sense to sue God?

Christianbookworm
04-07-2014, 10:11 AM
And over an event that happened over three thousand years ago? :lol: Wow... It wouldn't be possible to even determine anything about the "case" in terms of damages.

Cerebrum123
04-07-2014, 10:17 AM
And over an event that happened over three thousand years ago? :lol: Wow... It wouldn't be possible to even determine anything about the "case" in terms of damages.

Not to mention that it would be well beyond the statute of limitations. :yes:

Christianbookworm
04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
All mortal parties involved are long dead! Notice that I said mortal parties, of course God's still around but no way can you sue Him! Least not successfully...

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
IF you can show that the effects continue AND that a party or parties is/are substantively responsible, THEN, assuming Egyptian law is similar to the US, you could actually sue and the Statute of Limitations would not apply.

If it's being brought in the World Court, no problem - kangaroo courts will hear anything...

KingsGambit
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
The problem here is I would put the blame on Egypt here. Pharaoh kept bringing the plagues on himself.

Christianbookworm
04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
The problem here is I would put the blame on Egypt here. Pharaoh kept bringing the plagues on himself.

Indeed. How about DON'T tick of the Creator of the universe by enslaving His chosen people!

One Bad Pig
04-07-2014, 11:54 AM

:no: Wouldn't fly. If I ignore someone's threats to rob me and they subsequently do, they're the ones who are going to be prosecuted for it.

RBerman
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to sue God?

Difficult to deliver the subpoena. Or perhaps just difficult to come back after the delivery.

I was disappointed that the blog post by the theologian was not more lively, given the topic.

Sparko
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
IF you can show that the effects continue AND that a party or parties is/are substantively responsible, THEN, assuming Egyptian law is similar to the US, you could actually sue and the Statute of Limitations would not apply.

If it's being brought in the World Court, no problem - kangaroo courts will hear anything...except neither current nation is the same nations as was involved in the original "dispute"

But perhaps Israel can sue for the enslavement of their entire nation by the egyptians and get recompense for that. Seems to work here in the USA.

Christianbookworm
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
except neither current nation is the same nations as was involved in the original "dispute"

But perhaps Israel can sue for the enslavement of their entire nation by the egyptians and get recompense for that. Seems to work here in the USA.

Didn't God already deal with that by kicking Ancient Egypt's butt? And then telling them to plunder the Egyptians "trick or treat" style?

thewriteranon
04-07-2014, 12:40 PM
If I can sue anyone in history for hurting me or my people, then there are a lot of ancient kingdoms and empires who have some answering up to do.

Sparko
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
If I can sue anyone in history for hurting me or my people, then there are a lot of ancient kingdoms and empires who have some answering up to do.Yeah!!!

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 12:57 PM
:no: Wouldn't fly. If I ignore someone's threats to rob me and they subsequently do, they're the ones who are going to be prosecuted for it.

A landlord threatening eviction would be the more correct analogy.

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
except neither current nation is the same nations as was involved in the original "dispute"

There was some part of 'IF' that you didn't understand? :eh:

Sparko
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
There was some part of 'IF' that you didn't understand? :eh:I am suing you for your cyberbully attitude!

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I am suing you for your cyberbully attitude!

I'm countersuing for your cyber-annoying me!

Sparko
04-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm countersuing for your cyber-annoying me! But I was hired to do that. Take it up with my boss, Rogue06.

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 01:20 PM
But I was hired to do that. Take it up with my boss, Rogue06.Too bad you didn't read the fine pring - his contracts all have an indemnity clause in case his employees actually do what he says. But you, I can sue! :grin:

Sparko
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Too bad you didn't read the fine pring - his contracts all have an indemnity clause in case his employees actually do what he says. But you, I can sue! :grin:

I gots one of those in denim claws too! It says that if you sue me, I can take all of your bacon, and feed your cats to CP's killer cows!

...among other things I am not telling you about yet.

One Bad Pig
04-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Too bad you didn't read the fine pring - his contracts all have an indemnity clause in case his employees actually do what he says. But you, I can sue! :grin:

You have to sign the contract before you can find out what's in it.

Zymologist
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM

This will just never get old.

TimelessTheist
04-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Oh no Israel! Better watch out, 'cause if you don't show up to the hearing at World Court, then the UN will.....do absolutely nothing, as it's always done.

Catholicity
04-07-2014, 02:20 PM

there are things i'd like to chat with eve about

Teallaura
04-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Which is why you should never sign a contract with Rogue...

One Bad Pig
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Which is why you should never sign a contract with Rogue...
The contracts Rogue has people sign are succinct and unambiguous. It's what he does with the signature later that worries me.

ManwŰ S˙limo
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm so gonna sue Satan.

Just Some Dude
04-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Should we post Weird Al's "I'll Sue Ya" song?

Teallaura
04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
The contracts Rogue has people sign are succinct and unambiguous. It's what he does with the signature later that worries me.
Which is why I never sign anything he might get his hands on....