Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Neutron stars go boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutron stars go boom

Hot on the heels of their Nobel Prize, the LIGO collaboration is announcing the first detection of a neutron star collision. Unlike with black hole collisions, this one had a photon-based detection, in the form of a gamma ray burst picked up by the Fermi space telescope. So that confirms that neutron star collisions are producing the short gamma ray bursts we've been detecting for years. In addition, some heavy elements were found in the debris; these were unlikely to be formed in supernovas, so we weren't entirely sure how they got here. Now we know.

It's a great validation for the National Science Foundation, which funded LIGO to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, all without a guarantee that it would ultimately work.

The story's going to be all over the place - it was released at 10am US Eastern, so i don't have links at the moment.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

What's with all the collisions? Are they driving drunk? they need to take defensive driving courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      What's with all the collisions? Are they driving drunk? they need to take defensive driving courses.
      Gravity has a habit of proving it still works.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Sometimes painfully so, as my wife experienced a couple weeks ago on a sidewalk at work.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Gravity is an atheistic lie. It is all Intelligent Attraction (or as I prefer, Intelligent Falling).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            Hot on the heels of their Nobel Prize, the LIGO collaboration is announcing the first detection of a neutron star collision. Unlike with black hole collisions, this one had a photon-based detection, in the form of a gamma ray burst picked up by the Fermi space telescope. So that confirms that neutron star collisions are producing the short gamma ray bursts we've been detecting for years. In addition, some heavy elements were found in the debris; these were unlikely to be formed in supernovas, so we weren't entirely sure how they got here. Now we know.

It's a great validation for the National Science Foundation, which funded LIGO to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, all without a guarantee that it would ultimately work.

The story's going to be all over the place - it was released at 10am US Eastern, so i don't have links at the moment.
            This is an incredible result. I was amazed when I saw it. Amazing to thing that the gold we use and is so rare on this world is produced in such an event.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Gravity is an atheistic lie. It is all Intelligent Attraction (or as I prefer, Intelligent Falling).
              That is nothing but Gravity of the Gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Sometimes painfully so, as my wife experienced a couple weeks ago on a sidewalk at work.
                Your wife works on a sidewalk?

No, scratch that.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment