Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dialects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialects

Just a real quick observation, I think we all are aware of the phenomenon of "Christianese" where Christians use a shorthand term to refer to a theological concept; and it is very natural to develop a jargon to speak of complex ideas.

However, the metaphor that Christianese is a language has an interesting twist when you talk about dialects. It has occurred to me that as a Classic Pentecostal there are some terms that I use that a Charismatic might not understand completely, let alone a Traditional Catholic. And I am certain that two Calvinists who did not moderate their word choice for accessibility to outsiders could leave me confused. This is mostly just something to think about. But TWeb is a melting pot and so on one hand we as community members learn each other's terms and are less likely to therefore notice a term they don't recognize however, we ourselves use jargon that sounds foreign to many Christians, I doubt most dispensationalist could tell you what a "dispie" is, I know I couldn't until I saw it used by (I think) Nick Peters. Agree? Disagree? Obvious? Examples? (Not so much an ecclesiastical challenge as an observation of compartmentalization of Christianity by our ecclesiological differences.)
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

I had to learn a whole new set of jargon when I became Orthodox.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I had to learn a whole new set of jargon when I became Orthodox.
      We too had to learn a whole new set of jargon when you became Orthodox. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
        We too had to learn a whole new set of jargon when you became Orthodox. ;)
        Hah! Welcome back!
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X