Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Why are bees dying off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are bees dying off?

This is not an argument, but an educational video.

https://www.ted.com/talks/marla_spiv...e_disappearing
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

I was under the impression that bee numbers had started improving again the last couple of years. (I read it somewhere, not sure where at the moment)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Interesting.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

found some stories on it:

http://time.com/4885569/honeybee-population-increase/
        http://www.newsweek.com/bees-populat...species-645694
        https://apinz.org.nz/nzs-honey-bee-p...on-increasing/

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          This is not an argument, but an educational video.

https://www.ted.com/talks/marla_spiv...e_disappearing
          How are your own bees doing?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            I was under the impression that bee numbers had started improving again the last couple of years. (I read it somewhere, not sure where at the moment)
            I had not heard this before. Glad to hear it. Of course 3% may just be a statistical fluke. Some efforts have been made and are being made to reverse the decline, I hope they are responsible.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              How are your own bees doing?
              As far as the factors in the video mine are doing fine. My only problem is getting bees to survive the winter. Several of us are working to develop a strain that will winter here. I am afraid that will not happen as long as we are getting new packages each year.

Comment

As far as the factors in the video mine are doing fine. My only problem is getting bees to survive the winter. Several of us are working to develop a strain that will winter here. I am afraid that will not happen as long as we are getting new packages each year.
                Have you lost sizable numbers of bees in the winter, Jed?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Have you lost sizable numbers of bees in the winter, Jed?
                  I routinely lost all my bees until I began bringing in queens from winter hardy stock. I still loose some, but at least I have stopped having to buy new packages each spring. I hope that continues.

Comment

I routinely lost all my bees until I began bringing in queens from winter hardy stock. I still loose some, but at least I have stopped having to buy new packages each spring. I hope that continues.
                    have you thought about setting up special winter green houses for them bees?

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

have you thought about setting up special winter green houses for them bees?
                      Bees do not do at all well in green houses. It is not the cold that kills bees*. It is the long cold winter and the bees not raising brood until warm weather comes. That does not work in long dark winters we have up here.

*One researcher wintered bees in one of the northern states, in hives with screens for sides. The bees came through minus 40 degrees (in Celsius that is minus 40 degrees) just fine. If, on the other hand the cold lasts too long the bees will starve to death. So in that sense cold can indirectly kill bees.

Comment

Bees do not do at all well in green houses. It is not the cold that kills bees*. It is the long cold winter and the bees not raising brood until warm weather comes. That does not work in long dark winters we have up here.

*One researcher wintered bees in one of the northern states, in hives with screens for sides. The bees came through minus 40 degrees (in Celsius that is minus 40 degrees) just fine. If, on the other hand the cold lasts too long the bees will starve to death. So in that sense cold can indirectly kill bees.
                        I was thinking that the greenhouse would allow flowers (meaning bees can get food) and you could use lamps to simulate a better day/night cycle through the long dark winters.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

I was thinking that the greenhouse would allow flowers (meaning bees can get food) and you could use lamps to simulate a better day/night cycle through the long dark winters.
                          Honey bees just hit the wall trying to get out. They do not forage that close to home normally. Wintering is a normal procedure for bees, it is just that most of our bees are from warm short winter areas and they loose their abilities. Also keeping a greenhouse warm enough for the bees to fly is not terribly practical when we have 5 to 6 months of winter. You are thinking like many new beekeepers up here so you are doing alright.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X