Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Turmeric Compound Boosts Cognitive Power, Reveals New Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turmeric Compound Boosts Cognitive Power, Reveals New Study

I have long advocated the consumption of large amounts of raw Turmeric for health benefits. I take 2 grams in the morning an evening with meals in capsule form. The main direct benefits are boost to the immune system, anti-oxidant properties, and reduce inflammation in part through improvement of peripheral circulation. Some of the resulting health benefits are: reduce and prevent arthritis, improve cognitive ability with aging, help prevent cancer, and other problem related to reduced arterial flow with age. The benefits are mainly long term consistent use, but some short term benefits are documented.

The University of Maryland has probably done the most research on Turmeric. You can google it to get their results.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/curcumin-cognitive-power-05656.html

Turmeric Compound Boosts Cognitive Power, Reveals New Study

Curcumin has previously been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in lab studies.

It also has been suggested as a possible reason that senior citizens in India, where curcumin is a dietary staple, have a lower prevalence of Alzheimer’s disease and better cognitive performance.

“Exactly how curcumin exerts its effects is not certain, but it may be due to its ability to reduce brain inflammation, which has been linked to both Alzheimer’s disease and major depression,” said study lead author Dr. Gary Small, from Longevity Center and the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at the University of California.

Dr. Small and co-authors examined the effects of an easily absorbed curcumin supplement on memory performance in people without dementia, as well as curcumin’s potential impact on the microscopic plaques and tangles in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease.

The double-blind, placebo-controlled study involved 40 adults between the ages of 50 and 90 years who had mild memory complaints.

Participants were randomly assigned to receive either a placebo or 90 milligrams of curcumin twice daily for 18 months.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

But didn't you tell us that you were suffering from arterial hardening and some resultant cognitive issues from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But didn't you tell us that you were suffering from arterial hardening and some resultant cognitive issues from that?
      You are not quoting me accurately. I am 71, of course like virtually every male in the world arterial hardening of the arteries is a reality including the side effects to varying degrees. I do suffer from any significant cognitive impairment. The subject of the thread is use of the herb Turmeric and its benefits, which is what I take for its benefits. This article documents further research,
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I've heard a lot about the good effects of turmeric for arthritis and would like to try it, but it horribly expensive here to get it in supplement form, and I am not used to the taste of it. Probably couldn't get enough of it in food, anyway.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I've heard a lot about the good effects of turmeric for arthritis and would like to try it, but it horribly expensive here to get it in supplement form, and I am not used to the taste of it. Probably couldn't get enough of it in food, anyway.
          Walmart sells Turmeric capsules that is reasonable.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            I haven't looked there yet. Maybe I'll check Costco, as well.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Assuming you can trust Wal-mart's supplements, sure.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                They're quite costly at Costco. Walmart sells other brands besides their own, so I would try another brand.

Your link is almost 3 years old, too, maybe they've wised up.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I try and do my homework on supplements over time. The Walmart brand has never been cited for quality or health concerns, though some internet sources have been cited for quality problems (containing stuff other than Turmeric.) Simple inexpensive herbs like Turmeric root have fewer problems than more costly herbs. Research by the USDA has revealed some sources of more expensive herbs failed to contain the herb or contained so little that it was ineffective. One positive note is Walmart products have a high rate of turnover, and reduces the problem of shelf life problems.

It is somewhat anecdotal, but my experience of using Turmeric root for more than ten years as an herb, and cooking with it for more than 40 years is that I have no symptoms of arthritis as compared to the rest of my relatives my age and my general health is significantly better. Yes, I have a small short term memory problem associated with age, and arteriosclerosis. I have monitored this closely with medical evaluations at Duke. The result is my symtoms are marginal and not signifcant as far a cognitive abilities. Again when comparing this with all my relatives including extended relatives I far better. I believe this is due to long term herbal use, ie Turmeric, Amino acid therapy with L-Arginine and others, life style, diet, Martial Arts, and consistent history of intensive exercise. I am presently a member of Planet Fitness, the cheapest and best gym on the market except for those who can have free access, and do intensive workouts at least three times a week.

There are other herbs with fairly well documented effects are cayenne and various Tart Cherry extracts. Also my heavy use of various hot peppers in cooking contributes to my cayenne consumption.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-01-2018, 09:23 AM.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X