Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bees

Saturday bees arrived for this year. I got three 4 pound packages. I also served as a distributor for the local area - I passed out 11 packages to other beekeepers in the area who were getting bees from my suppllier.

I got my bees installed in their new homes on Monday. I got my two hives from last year through the winter so I am getting there.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

That sounds great, GJ!

About how many bees come in a pound?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Do beez has knees?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do the bees have to come from a certain area, or be "Alaska tolerant" or anything?

I think I mentioned that a friend of mine is a beekeeper, and he keeps a bunch of bees in Hawaii so they'll not be wildenated. (That was prolly 20 years ago, so maybe that's no longer an issue?)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          That sounds great, GJ!

About how many bees come in a pound?
          Around 3,000
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Do the bees have to come from a certain area, or be "Alaska tolerant" or anything?

I think I mentioned that a friend of mine is a beekeeper, and he keeps a bunch of bees in Hawaii so they'll not be wildenated. (That was prolly 20 years ago, so maybe that's no longer an issue?)
            Bees come to Alaska from the west coast mainly. No special adaptation for our long dark winters. I do order queen bees to replace the "California Queens" (my name for warm short winter adapted queens) in my colonies for winter. Those California Queens seldom make it through the winter. I used to get queens from Ontario, Canada. The government, however, has helped me out by making that impossible. I now get my queens from a fellow in Vermont - an area with a winter similar to ours. This last year they seem to have come through for me.

I would comment on your beekeeper friend, but I do not know what wildenated refers to. All bees are really still wild. We just provide housing for them. They never, unlike dogs or cats, become tame. I would be interested in hearing what that wildenated refers to.

Comment

isn't there some fancy name for a person who takes care of bees?

Comment

Beekeeper.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Apiarist?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Apiarist?
                    yes....that too...
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Bees come to Alaska from the west coast mainly. No special adaptation for our long dark winters. I do order queen bees to replace the "California Queens" (my name for warm short winter adapted queens) in my colonies for winter. Those California Queens seldom make it through the winter. I used to get queens from Ontario, Canada. The government, however, has helped me out by making that impossible. I now get my queens from a fellow in Vermont - an area with a winter similar to ours. This last year they seem to have come through for me.
                      Interesting!

I would comment on your beekeeper friend, but I do not know what wildenated refers to.
                      Africanized. Killer bees. Was that all just hype?

All bees are really still wild. We just provide housing for them. They never, unlike dogs or cats, become tame. I would be interested in hearing what that wildenated refers to.
                      Killer Bees. (Which, in Texas, used to refer to Astros players Craig Biggio, Derek Bell and Jeff Bagwell.)

Comment

I dunno - we teach them to come when called (lures), play fetch (gathering), and let us take their food (harvesting).

If they just wouldn't commit suicide every time we pet them we could probably tame bees...

Leaving now...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Africanized. Killer bees. Was that all just hype?
                          Killer bees are not hype from what I read. We do not have them up here in the Frozen North. I am thankfully without experience in that area, though I have had experience with very touchy bees and I don't like it.

Comment

Africanized bees are indeed responsible for deaths of humans and livestock. They are temperamental, easily annoyed and highly aggressive. While there has been a great deal of hype about them (I saw The Swarm, too) they legitimately are very dangerous creatures. In infested areas, hives and swarms should be left undisturbed until professionals can come deal with them.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X