Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Molting Border Collie - just shave it all off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molting Border Collie - just shave it all off!

Here is Autumn, my 11 year old Red Border Collie. Every spring her shedding goes into overdrive, and she leaves huge tufts of fur wherever she can. It's worse than her normal shedding. On top of that, she has a double coat and her soft underfur gets matted easily. The easiest solution is to just shave it all down to 1/4". Her tail was shaved down to 1". She was unusually cooperative this year and I completed the job in only a little over an hour.

AutumnBefore1.JPG

AutumnBefore2.jpg

AutumnandLeah.jpg

AutumnAfter1.jpg

AutumnAfter2.jpg
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

My Gabrielle had to be shaved every spring - I paid the vet to do it. She was not amused - evidently she was going for the corded kitty look.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

poor doggy.

Comment

That's against the law in some municipalities!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My daughter used to have their Maine Coon cat shaved every spring. He refused to allow them to remove his mats, and the vet had to do the shaving.

He looked so embarrassed to be naked.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Mine won't put up with combing and brushing for very long. I do have a Furminator for her and it works pretty well, but only on her back and sides. Her head, neck, legs and tail have to be dealt with in other ways and if she won't let me brush her, then she'll have no fur. She especially hates having her tail touched at all and I had to get Rational Gaze to hold her down so I could shave it. Keeping it brushed is out of the question. She was a rescue dog so we don't know what happened to her as a puppy but we think someone pulled her tail a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              Here is Autumn, my 11 year old Red Border Collie. Every spring her shedding goes into overdrive, and she leaves huge tufts of fur wherever she can. It's worse than her normal shedding. On top of that, she has a double coat and her soft underfur gets matted easily. The easiest solution is to just shave it all down to 1/4". Her tail was shaved down to 1". She was unusually cooperative this year and I completed the job in only a little over an hour.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26500[/ATTACH]
              I recommend getting a Newfoundland. Then you won't even notice the hair from the border collie. One advantage of a Newfie is that if your carpets are getting worn down, they will be renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                I recommend getting a Newfoundland. Then you won't even notice the hair from the border collie. One advantage of a Newfie is that if your carpets are getting worn down, they will be renewed.
                Seems like that would just be more surface area to be shaved.

Comment

I needed a laugh this morning!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seems like that would just be more surface area to be shaved mowed.
                    If you've ever seen a Newfie you'd understand why I corrected your post.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Seems like that would just be more surface area to be shaved.
                      Nope, it's just a large carpet to be walked.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't think my house is big enough to store the fur from one of those. The ceilings would keep getting lower as the carpets got thicker.

Comment

We would vacuum our German Shepard. These dogs have a double coat too. And it seemed to feel really good to him. Better than two brown paper bags full of fluffy hair.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            We would vacuum our German Shepard....
                            Just have him stand by the curb...

maxresdefault.jpg

Comment

That's why you had to dunk them in the bay - get all that loose hair off.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X