PDA

View Full Version : Edward Snowden installed as rector

firstfloor
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
What wonderful news. Intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden has been installed as rector at Glasgow University. The former US National Security Agency contractor fled from his homeland last May after revealing extensive details of internet and phone surveillance. The 30-year-old is currently staying in Russia, where he has temporary asylum. Speaking via a video link from Russia, Mr Snowden said he was honoured to take up the post but could not attend as he was not allowed in the UK.

Bill the Cat
04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
He's still a liar.

Spartacus
04-23-2014, 11:47 AM
He's still a liar.

Could be worse. He could be Obama.

seer
04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
What wonderful news. Intelligence whistleblower Edward Snowden has been installed as rector at Glasgow University. The former US National Security Agency contractor fled from his homeland last May after revealing extensive details of internet and phone surveillance. The 30-year-old is currently staying in Russia, where he has temporary asylum. Speaking via a video link from Russia, Mr Snowden said he was honoured to take up the post but could not attend as he was not allowed in the UK.

Why haven't we droned him yet?

Spartacus
04-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Why haven't we droned him yet?

Because as little love as our government has for its Constitutional limitations, it still isn't quite ready to make a habit of executing citizens without trial.

Darth Executor
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Plus, droning someone in Russia could be problematic.

seer
04-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Because as little love as our government has for its Constitutional limitations, it still isn't quite ready to make a habit of executing citizens without trial.

Well didn't we drone a couple of Muslim American citizens a while back?

seer
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Plus, droning someone in Russia could be problematic.

Yes, for the one getting droned. I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...

Spartacus
04-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Well didn't we drone a couple of Muslim American citizens a while back?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

Yes, "we" did, and it's only one entry on a long list of unconstitutional acts by this president.

Snowden's certainly done more that's worthy of this honorary position of rector than Obama did with respect to the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cerebrum123
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Could be worse. He could be Obama.

:rofl:

ManwŰ S˙limo
04-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm glad that a Snowden happened - even if nothing substantial changes from it.

TimelessTheist
04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes, for the one getting droned. I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...

He wouldn't feel like he could get away with such acts if Obummer wasn't such a "tolerant" (Buzzword), compulsively lying, little wimp, who lost the support of his people a long time ago.

firstfloor
04-23-2014, 02:01 PM
I see that in 2005, the politically astute Glasgow University students elected another whistle blower, one Mordechai Vanunu after he was released from 18 years of imprisonment for spilling the beans on the secret Israeli nuclear weapons program. Vanunu said he suffered "cruel and barbaric treatment" at the hands of Israeli authorities while imprisoned, and suggests that his treatment would have been different if he had not converted to Christianity from Judaism.

Epoetker
04-23-2014, 11:04 PM
He's still a liar.

He is technically a traitor to the State. Whether this makes him a traitor to the historic American Nation is another question entirely.

I'm tired of kissing Putin's ass...

It's guaranteed to be cleaner than President Down-Low's.