Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ecclesiastic Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecclesiastic Music

What, other than topic, distinguishes ecclesiastic music from other music? What role does it play in worship?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

The only differentiation I can think of other than "topic" is "purpose", and there are a few possible main purposes for music in a service. The most obvious is for the praise of God (and we can easily determine from Scripture that God most probably enjoys musical worship), but there is also simply the music at the beginning of the service to get everybody settled down and in a more contemplative mood.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Music is one way for everyone to actively participate in worship, which would foster a sense of unity in community as far as I can tell.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So, music is about getting people where they need to be - what about glorifying God? How does music connect us in worship? Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          So, music is about getting people where they need to be - what about glorifying God?
          You'd already mentioned that.
          How does music connect us in worship?
          Through group participation. Listening is nice, but I don't think it fosters much connection.
          Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?
          Yes?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Worship is first about giving glory to God, that is the meaning of the word. Music in Scripture indicates that music has a rightful place in that worship. It is both a people thing and a spiritual thing, and because people are spiritual the distinction is one hardly worth making. If the question is, "Is worship for man or for God?' The answer is for God, but I certainly enjoy the music while I'm at it, and I feel exalted as I exalt Him.

But then, I'm a tongues speakin' holy roller type so you pay me no mind.
            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?
                I seem to remember my piano teacher saying something to the effect that he considered music's impact on a person to be some evidence for the existence of God. The fact that sound is able to stir such emotion is (afaik) without a secular explanation. I'd think it safe to say that ecclesiastic music possesses some spiritual component (ignoring for the moment my disbelief in such things).
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment