Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which gospel is your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gospel is your favorite?

Just a random poll, no particular reason.
    Matthew
    18.75%
    Mark
    6.25%
    Luke
    31.25%
    John
    43.75%
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Just a random poll, no particular reason.
    I suppose if I had to choose a "favourite" Gospel, of the Synoptics I have always had a special interest in Matthew (which may be seen as somewhat strange, seeing as I am a Gentile). But I would I have to take John's Gospel in tandem with Matthew, as I find John's emphasis on the universal availability of salvation in the Gospel to be quite precious (as in First John as well).
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I would have to go with Luke for the advanced notice of detail relevant to Gentiles along with the more developed pneumatology.
      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
        But I would I have to take John's Gospel in tandem with Matthew, as I find John's emphasis on the universal availability of salvation in the Gospel to be quite precious (as in First John as well).
        This is what tilts the balance in the direction of John for me. The reporting of Peter's reinstatement is also personally meaningful to me.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          This is what tilts the balance in the direction of John for me. The reporting of Peter's reinstatement is also personally meaningful to me.
          Yes, there is something very Arminian about the Gospel of John.
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I think, for the new Christian, or Christian candidate, John is the clearest "what must I do to be saved" account.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's also just the most theological in general

Comment

I fluctuate between Mark and Matthew. Not for any particular reason than I enjoy reading them.
                Last edited by rogue06; 04-28-2014, 04:46 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Voted for John. Like that one the best.

Comment

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                      Thomas

Seriously, I doubt that!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Gospel of Jesus' Wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Seriously, I doubt that!
                          Blessed are those who have not seen but yet believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            Thomas

Gnostic infiltrator!

Comment

I like all the gospels, even the gospel of Thomas, but Mark is my favorite because of its dramatic force and unity of vision, which nonetheless expects the reader's faith to carry on the story. Matthew tells the story with more of the Jewish context of Jesus' teaching. Luke universalizes for all humanity the teachings of Jesus and tells us of how the early apostles began to fulfill the missionary command at the end of Matthew. John attempts to plumb the theological depths of Jesus' person and words. And all of that is very good, of course, but Matthew, Luke, and John are merely doing what Mark expects all of us to do, and our emphasis should be on our belief in and following of Jesus who goes before us.
                              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment