PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in genealogies

lee_merrill
09-10-2018, 12:27 PM
Computing the age of the earth by counting genealogies has been a popular way to compute the age of the earth, yet Hebrew genealogies can have gaps in them.

Matthew 1:8 states that Uzziah was born to Joram, but in 1 Chronicles 3:10-12 three generations of kings (Ahaziah, Joash, and Amaziah) are correctly inserted between Joram and Uzziah. … Similarly, according to Ezra 7:3 Azariah was the son of Meraioth, but in 1 Chronicles 6:6-9 six generations are listed between these two names.

Even in the Genesis 5 and 11 genealogies, where the years between the birth dates of the father and the son are given, the chronology is not as tight as it may appear at first glance. Luke 3, for example, inserts at least one generation, namely Cainan, between Shelah and Arphaxad, while Genesis 11 simply records Shelah as the “son” of Arphaxad.

Blessings,
Lee

One Bad Pig
09-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Matthew's genealogy is pretty obviously set up to be numerologically significant; I just saw today an attestation that Luke's is as well (72 generations from Adam to Christ), but haven't checked that yet myself.

mikewhitney
09-10-2018, 01:28 PM
I haven't researched the chronology myself but I've been interested in the chronologies at ldolphin.org

http://ldolphin.org/barrychron.html

http://ldolphin.org/sewell/sewellchron.html

rogue06
09-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Different versions (Masoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan) all have substantially different dates/life spans:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/5Hk2v.png

ETA: Oops just realized where this is posted so I'll bow out and sorry that the second chart doesn't embiggen.

ETA2: Let's see if this helps

One Bad Pig
09-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Different versions (Masoretic, Septuagint and Samaritan) all have substantially different dates/life spans:

The chart whiffed on its definition of "Samaritans". :doh:

ETA: Also, the Septuagint numbering cannot be correct, since according to its calculations Methuselah was born 955 years before the flood (167 to Lamech +188 to Noah +600 years), meaning that he would've survived it to live 969 years.

09-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Matthew's genealogy is pretty obviously set up to be numerologically significant; I just saw today an attestation that Luke's is as well (72 generations from Adam to Christ), but haven't checked that yet myself.

The 4 names omitted in Matthews account can be shown for cause.

09-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Computing the age of the earth by counting genealogies has been a popular way to compute the age of the earth, yet Hebrew genealogies can have gaps in them.

Matthew 1:8 states that Uzziah was born to Joram, but in 1 Chronicles 3:10-12 three generations of kings (Ahaziah, Joash, and Amaziah) are correctly inserted between Joram and Uzziah. … Similarly, according to Ezra 7:3 Azariah was the son of Meraioth, but in 1 Chronicles 6:6-9 six generations are listed between these two names.

Even in the Genesis 5 and 11 genealogies, where the years between the birth dates of the father and the son are given, the chronology is not as tight as it may appear at first glance. Luke 3, for example, inserts at least one generation, namely Cainan, between Shelah and Arphaxad, while Genesis 11 simply records Shelah as the “son” of Arphaxad.

Blessings,
Lee

In the book of Jude Enoch is seventh from Adam (Jude 14). The gap is noted only in Luke with the giving of one name.

The continents separations are dated some 200 to 300 million years ago. So that could be post creation (the 6 days) and post flood some time before Abraham. I am open on this.

Christianbookworm
09-11-2018, 11:34 AM
:huh: Are you saying that the Flood happened millions of years before humans or that the continents split quickly without somehow killing everything?

mikewhitney
09-11-2018, 04:12 PM
It seems that the chronologies on the ldolphin.org website have identified the gaps and had also justified which scriptures (and chronologies) had more relevant time data.

I didn't notice the uncertainties specified for the dates on my quick examination of the chronologies before posting the links. But I remember that tolerances were added on calculated dates.

09-12-2018, 09:05 AM
:huh: Are you saying that the Flood happened millions of years before humans or that the continents split quickly without somehow killing everything?

Animals were made on the 5th day, man on the 6th. What is deemed flood fossils by YEC are the same fossils on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. Which has been separating for some 300 million years. So that would make Noah and the flood about some 300 million years ago.