Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Touch screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch screen

What makes touch screen work? Why do my fingers generally not do what they are supposed to do? I have use those 'rubber' pointers, but they quit before long. What is the problem? Help.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Try moisturizer or a stylus

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eens/index.htm

http://news.wjct.org/post/ask-deemab...spond-my-touch

With my phone, i have sometimes had trouble accessing the touch screen with the hand I'm holding the phone with. I probably changed the capacitance effect that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      What makes touch screen work? Why do my fingers generally not do what they are supposed to do? I have use those 'rubber' pointers, but they quit before long. What is the problem? Help.
      First question - do you have a screen guard? Like a scratch resistant or crack resistant film? Often, those make the touch screen less sensitive.

Secondly - because you and I are "up in years", our fingers tend to be drier. I actually saw a disclaimer on my biometric gun safe that "persons above 65 years of age should not...." Basically it was warning that our fingerprints tend to be less recognizable.

See if a younger person has any trouble making your screen respond.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't like touch screens. Hooves make them very complicated.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thanks for the input.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

They work by using capacitance. At least the modern ones to. Your skin is conductive and when you touch the screen, the capacitance at that location changes. Earlier touch screens worked by resistance and strain gauges. When you pressed on the screen, it deflected the glass and the strain gauge could use that to detect where you pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              They work by using capacitance. At least the modern ones to. Your skin is conductive and when you touch the screen, the capacitance at that location changes. Earlier touch screens worked by resistance and strain gauges. When you pressed on the screen, it deflected the glass and the strain gauge could use that to detect where you pressed.
              Just for grins, there are other touch screens (usually much bigger ones) that use cameras in the corners, triangulating the position of the finger on the screen.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment