Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

All will repent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All will repent?

When I was at church one Sunday, I mentioned to someone my hope that all will be saved. I was then asked for a Scriptural argument. My reply was a question, “When God commands all people everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30), does he have as at least one of his purposes, that all people repent?” Upon being informed that he does, I then mentioned Isaiah 55:11,

“As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
    and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
    and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
    so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:10-11)

So God’s word, in commanding all to repent, we may hope for it accomplish its purpose. We may then hope for all to repent.

Blessings,
    Lee

P.S. I acknowledge my debt to Thomas Talbott’s essay here in "Universal Salvation? The Current Debate", where he makes a similar argument from an Arminian perspective.
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Where in Scripture does God have, as one of his purposes, that all repent? Without that, your case collapses.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Where in Scripture does God have, as one of his purposes, that all repent? Without that, your case collapses.
      Except for Peter stating the Lord's preference is that none should perish, but come to repentance, I know not.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Source: Eze. 33:11

Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

© Copyright Original Source

Surely this indicates that God's purpose is that the wicked turn from their ways!

"Let the wicked forsake their ways
        and the unrighteous their thoughts.
        Let them turn to the Lord..." (Isa. 55:7)

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’

Surely this indicates that God's purpose is that the wicked turn from their ways!

Blessings,
          Lee
          It is, no doubt, His preference. We, however, are not puppets.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Blessings,
            Lee
            It is certainly God's desire. Note, however, that the wicked die nonetheless.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
              It is, no doubt, His preference. We, however, are not puppets.
              But then would that mean that God's word would not accomplish its purpose?

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
              It is certainly God's desire. Note, however, that the wicked die nonetheless.
              Yes, so we may hope that the wicked may repent after death?

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

When I was at church one Sunday, I mentioned to someone my hope that all will be saved. I was then asked for a Scriptural argument. My reply was a question, “When God commands all people everywhere to repent (Acts 17:30), does he have as at least one of his purposes, that all people repent?” Upon being informed that he does, I then mentioned Isaiah 55:11,

“ . . . so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
                It will not return to me empty,
                but will accomplish what I desire
                and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:10-11) . . .
                But you are making a big assumption here in saying that His word not coming to nothing means what you say it means. The Bible has many examples, some mentioned here, of His preferences not being fulfilled as we are able to see. His sovereign will ultimately will be done whether as you see it or not.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

But then would that mean that God's word would not accomplish its purpose?
                  It certainly accomplishes its purpose in those who accept Christ, and it certainly accomplishes its purpose in offering Salvation to all who will believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    But you are making a big assumption here in saying that His word not coming to nothing means what you say it means. The Bible has many examples, some mentioned here, of His preferences not being fulfilled as we are able to see. His sovereign will ultimately will be done whether as you see it or not.
                    I only assume that God's purpose in commanding all to repent is that indeed, all repent. And as far as all God's preferences being fulfilled, we read:

Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
                    And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’. (Is 46:10)

So God's purposes will be achieved, and all his desires will be fulfilled.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It certainly accomplishes its purpose in those who accept Christ, and it certainly accomplishes its purpose in offering Salvation to all who will believe.
                      But God's purpose is more that just offering Salvation! It is that all repent:

"For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies," declares the Lord God. "Therefore, repent and live." (Eze. 18:32)

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

I only assume that God's purpose in commanding all to repent is that indeed, all repent. And as far as all God's preferences being fulfilled, we read:

Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
                        And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’. (Is 46:10)

So God's purposes will be achieved, and all his desires will be fulfilled.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Yes His purposes will be accomplished. I just prefer to allow Him to decide, rather than jump to conclusions on what seems to me to be inadequate information revealed.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I only assume that God's purpose in commanding all to repent is that indeed, all repent.
                          That's a pretty big assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Yes His purposes will be accomplished.
                            Amen!

I just prefer to allow Him to decide, rather than jump to conclusions on what seems to me to be inadequate information revealed.
                            But where is the flaw in the argument? That is what I am hoping to hear.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              Originally posted by lee_merrill
                              I only assume that God's purpose in commanding all to repent is that indeed, all repent.
                              That's a pretty big assumption.
                              I think it's quite Scriptural:

"Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’ " (Eze. 33:11)

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X