Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Leftism is Permanent Ingratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftism is Permanent Ingratitude

The story that explains most of why Donald Sterling didn't want people to see his mistress with black people in general (and not just business rival Magic Johnson in particular.)

But there’s another piece to Sterling’s warped worldview, one that illustrates the bizarre and incoherent ways in which racism works. As Sterling allegedly schemed to rid his properties of certain racial minorities, he sought to fill his development with Koreans, an ethnic group he valorized as hardworking and reliable.

Sterling did not take a passive approach to attracting Korean tenants. He changed the name of one of his buildings to “Korean World Towers,” adorned his buildings with Korean flags, and explicitly stated a preference for “Koreans” in his housing ads. A group of tenants, who saw this as a thinly disguised attempt to discriminate against black and Latino housing applicants, filed a discrimination case against Sterling in 2002. In 2003, a U.S. district judge issued an injunction barring him from using the word “Korean” in his building names and advertisements.

Why did Donald Sterling love Koreans? At a basic level, he was buying into the myth of the “model minority”: the perception that Asian-Americans, compared with other nonwhite minorities, are innately intelligent and well-behaved.
    I figured it was more he was buying into the reality that Koreans actually did pay their rent on time. According to leftists: BIZARRE! INCOHERENT! MYTH!

According to ESPN’s Peter Keating, in 2003 Sterling’s real estate business “had 74 white employees, four Latinos, zero blacks, and 30 Asians.”

Lest you think Sterling’s prejudices begin and end with race, note that 26 of his 30 Asian employees were women, and that he wanted them to fulfill an Orientalist fantasy. One former employee claimed that Sterling would “tell me that I needed to learn the ‘Asian way’ from his younger girls because they knew how to please him.”

Legions [An unnaturally appropriate name coming from a leftist -ed] of social scientists and historians have debunked the myth of the Asian-American’s “natural” orientation toward economic achievement. They point out that it is more a function of immigration trends in the 1960s, which favored East Asian professionals who often arrived with significant educational and wealth advantages. In the mythical retelling, the minority’s model behavior speaks to an inborn superiority, an almost genetic predisposition to success. This is the flip side of a deeply held, racist worldview: Alongside the “undesirable,” vermin-attracting minority groups, there is another group that does everything right.

Why did Donald Sterling idealize Koreans? Because, in his view, they did whatever Donald Sterling wanted them to do, and they did it without complaint.
    THIS SO-CALLED "PERSONAL EXPERIENCE" IS JUST YOUR WORLDVIEW-OPINION BASED ON MYTHS WE'VE DEBUNKED OURSELVES, BIGOT!

Finally comes the capper:

Love and hate, praise and condescension —they are all engines of exploitation.
    Or, "Not a thing you do is going to stop me from denouncing you as a racist." (Except giving the NAACP millions of dollars a year to stay away.)

For Asian-Americans who eagerly stand with other minorities in denouncing Sterling, this is all very awkward—even more so because Sterling’s history of housing discrimination is filled with small moments of Asian-American complicity. The housing case brought against Sterling in 2003 includes black, Latino, and white plaintiffs but no Korean-Americans. We have not been able to find prominent public complaints against Sterling by any Asian-American individuals or groups. There are also troubling stories of Sterling at one point replacing his security team with “Korean-born guards who were hostile to non-Koreans.”

Of course, focusing exclusively on one minority’s gain when pitted against another risks obscuring the bigger picture [Translation: Threatens my cushy job as a liberal journalist]. These moments when Korean-Americans enter the Sterling narrative are a reminder of how, on the rare occasions when Asians are invited in to a public conversation about racism, it is to play the role of the middleman. This is how California’s debates around affirmative action, for example, have become framed, with Asian-Americans as the purported victims of policies that benefit their fellow minorities.
    Purported, you say? "Fellow minorities," you say?

Now, based on that experience with black people in LA, how do you think Koreans might have felt if they saw anyone associated with Donald Sterling hanging out with black people in public?

I don't understand the thread title. The jobs of the writers exist only because of leftism. Seems to me that they're quite grateful and more than willing to pay back the debt in vocal anti-rayciss'm.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment