Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Everything about dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything about dogs

This thread is for those of us who have dogs (or just like dogs) to talk about them and their care, training, whatever.

Mohm cute 4 months.jpg

This is Mohm, at 4 months old. He's now adult size, around slender Labrador size. He's the oldest by about three months, the other two (Fluke and Midnight) are brothers, black, with I think a bit of terrier in them.

My dogs are all three just around a year old, active 'farm' dogs. All presently un-neutered boys (though they will be having the chop in April)

I feed my three lads twice a day, morning and late afternoon.

They get a mixture of rice; dog biscuits and boiled chicken carcasses. Occasionally they get fish (mackerel, boned) instead of chicken. And sometimes I add chicken or pork liver and chicken giblets.

A treat is a pork leg bone each, most days they get a rawhide chew as a snack. Beef is pretty much not available here.

What do you feed your dog(s)?
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Here is my dog. Taz. Min Schnauzer. Just turned 10 years old

He eats science diet ID (low fat)

Comment

Here is my "dog" well he thinks he's a dog. He comes when he's called, plays fetch and drinks from the toilet and he likes his belly rubbed
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Attachment fails.

Dogs are cool.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I didn't want a dog.

The wise old Rabbi said, in response to the discussion of "when life begins", that it begins when the kids move away and the dog dies. I subscribed to that philosophy.

My wife, however, has been wanting a dog. She dragged me to several street fairs and animal thingies --- places where you can adopt or "rescue" a pet.

She looked at many dogs -- probably not THOUSANDS, but at least dozens. At one street fair, she found Lee. He was pretty much a mix of collie, shepherd, maybe a bit of pit pull... but had, in my estimation, a rather "skittish" personality. She wanted to take him home, and as I so often do, I whooped out the wallet and paid the "adoption fee". I told her she could adopt him, but I wasn't having a dog named LEE --- it would have to change, and I proposed Duke or Jake.

Jake HATED the ride home - he whined and cried, and trembled like crazy, and even peed on Mrs CP's knee. The first two nights, he wouldn't go to sleep, nervously pacing the hallway and even peed in the spare room on the carpet. I was glad we had a solid "return policy", because THAT boy was going back to the kennel!

Perhaps Jake was aware of my musing, because, after just 2 days, he INSTANTLY stopped peeing in the house, he stopped chewing on my shoes, he would always "sit" when offered a treat, and he would have nothing to do with Mrs. CP. He followed me around, and when I wasn't home, Mrs CP said he would lay on the hearth staring out the window watching for my car to come home.

When we could come home together, Mrs. CP would step in front of me, bending over, calling "Come here, puppy, here Jake!" and he would do an end run around her and run straight to me, tail wagging, and doing little "circle hops" til I petted him. When I go out to the shop (at the back of our property) Jake tags along. When I go get gas or diesel, Jake wants to help. When I sit in my chair to read my Bible, or watch TV, Jake lays at my feet. If I get up in the middle of the night to go lay on the couch in the living room, Jake comes and lays on the floor next to me. (Sometimes I just can't sleep, and I don't want to keep Mrs. CP awake, so I just go out on the couch and read or watch TV)

She claims I stole him. I did nothing of the sort. I think he just happens to be a good judge of character.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, and he stopped chewing on MY shoes after just 2 days, but it took another 2 months before he stopped chewing on Mrs CP's shoes.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My dog is too lazy to chew on anything that is not food.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I didn't want a dog.

The wise old Rabbi said, in response to the discussion of "when life begins", that it begins when the kids move away and the dog dies. I subscribed to that philosophy.

My wife, however, has been wanting a dog. She dragged me to several street fairs and animal thingies --- places where you can adopt or "rescue" a pet.

She looked at many dogs -- probably not THOUSANDS, but at least dozens. At one street fair, she found Lee. He was pretty much a mix of collie, shepherd, maybe a bit of pit pull... but had, in my estimation, a rather "skittish" personality. She wanted to take him home, and as I so often do, I whooped out the wallet and paid the "adoption fee". I told her she could adopt him, but I wasn't having a dog named LEE --- it would have to change, and I proposed Duke or Jake.

Jake HATED the ride home - he whined and cried, and trembled like crazy, and even peed on Mrs CP's knee. The first two nights, he wouldn't go to sleep, nervously pacing the hallway and even peed in the spare room on the carpet. I was glad we had a solid "return policy", because THAT boy was going back to the kennel!

Perhaps Jake was aware of my musing, because, after just 2 days, he INSTANTLY stopped peeing in the house, he stopped chewing on my shoes, he would always "sit" when offered a treat, and he would have nothing to do with Mrs. CP. He followed me around, and when I wasn't home, Mrs CP said he would lay on the hearth staring out the window watching for my car to come home.

When we could come home together, Mrs. CP would step in front of me, bending over, calling "Come here, puppy, here Jake!" and he would do an end run around her and run straight to me, tail wagging, and doing little "circle hops" til I petted him. When I go out to the shop (at the back of our property) Jake tags along. When I go get gas or diesel, Jake wants to help. When I sit in my chair to read my Bible, or watch TV, Jake lays at my feet. If I get up in the middle of the night to go lay on the couch in the living room, Jake comes and lays on the floor next to me. (Sometimes I just can't sleep, and I don't want to keep Mrs. CP awake, so I just go out on the couch and read or watch TV)

She claims I stole him. I did nothing of the sort. I think he just happens to be a good judge of character.

Jake sounds really great. My Mum always said that we as a family goofed when my Grandad passed away, by not getting a dog for my Grandma. Mum reckoned a dog would have kept her active and involved in her life longer. Maybe it would have - although she did live well into her 90s.

My three dogs are all outside dogs, but you can guarantee that if you're doing anything outside, Fluke will be nearby. If I crouch down to do some weeding or something, he'll be there, trying to lick my ear. He's also the lowest in the pecking order - although he did give Mohm a bite on the ear when Mohm tried to steal his bone! Usually Mohm chews his ear a bit, but this time Fluke bit Mohm's ear... just nipped through one end..

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  My dog is too lazy to chew on anything that is not food.
                  Is he like his owner, then?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Attachment fails.

Dogs are cool.
                    Yeah, dogs don't fail like attachments...

Comment

OK, a question:

I have three male dogs, all close in age. I'm wondering about getting a puppy sometime, about a year younger than my other dogs. Probably a female (will have her and them neutered). Any thoughts?

Comment

My dog goes crazy when ever a camera comes out and points at her. My wife's smart phone gets the same reaction.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have a golden retriever mix with skin sensitivity to mites (biggest problem) and fleas, he is four years old. I currently us a mix of Listerine, vinegar, diatomaceous earth and olive oil on his skin, and give him benadryl and vinegar with his food. This has limited success. Any more suggestions please?

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I've heard that wiping a cut lemon on his fur helps repel the unwanted visitors. I don't know if it works, though. Might be worth a try, shouldn't be harmful when he licks himself.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X