Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

NIV 1978 > 1984 > 2011 So-So, better now worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIV 1978 > 1984 > 2011 So-So, better now worse.

In 1978 I got a copy of this new translation. Act 2:38 had a problem.

My 1984 version is OK. Acts 2:38 was fixed by the publisher. I like the foot notes in the OT. As a translation again still so-so. It is touted to be easier to understand.

The 2011 edition is gotten worse. Singulars are translated as plurals. "brethren" is translated "men and women." Really.

Now here is an article regarding other matters on this: http://brandplucked.webs.com/whatabouttheniv2011.htm
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Now here is an article regarding other matters on this: http://brandplucked.webs.com/whatabouttheniv2011.htm

What's wrong with the Vatican/RCC being allied with the UBS/Nestle-Aland editors in the quest to ascertain the most likely-to-be-accurate NT Greek text?

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
      What's wrong with the Vatican/RCC being allied with the UBS/Nestle-Aland editors in the quest to ascertain the most likely-to-be-accurate NT Greek text?
      The author is merely poisoning the well. The KJO crowd often resorts to that tactic, in my experience.

I've never particularly cared for the NIV (too bland), and Zondervan's over-abundant myriads of packaging for the text rubs me the wrong way.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
        Did that NA Greek NT change enough between 1984 to 2011 to justify those changes in translation? I do not think so.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The author is merely poisoning the well. The KJO crowd often resorts to that tactic, in my experience.

I've never particularly cared for the NIV (too bland), and Zondervan's over-abundant myriads of packaging for the text rubs me the wrong way.
        My bad. I was looking at the NIV to NIV translation changes. I failed to notice the tell tale "KJB" for KJV. Sorry about that. And worse yet on my part, I totally overlooked the obvious "Another King James Bible Believer."

While I do use the KJV as my primary bible translation, I am not a KJV onliest.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X