PDA

View Full Version : Exploratory Thread: Mutants and Masterminds 2e

Chaotic Void
05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Okay, folks... If you've every wanted to play a Street-Level super-hero, this is the chance for you to do so! What do I mean by "Street Level"? I'm referring to your military-trained vigilantes, your paranormal investigators, your low-end mutants, your cyborgs, your time cops, and your ninjas.

You don't have the book? Not a problem, let me know if you're interested in this game and I'll PM you a link to get it.

Here's how it's gonna go down:
-Cinematic Iron-Age Heroes (with a cherry on top): Your heroes will be Power Level 8, but instead of having 120 Power Points to spend, you get an extra 10 PP (which makes it 130 Power Points)
-Heroics is Serious Business: This is a grittier campaign, so keep that in mind as you make your characters.

Additional Rules (Things to keep in mind when you start making your characters... don't worry, this will make sense when you start character creation)
-No Iron Man Meets Harry Potter: If your hero packs technological Power Armor that shoots lasers from everywhere but it’s backside, that’s fine. If you’re a mage that channels her spells via her twin hand-cannons, that’s also fine. What isn’t fine is a Psychic who can cast magic and has a Super-Science device that can create time portals. Pick a concept with one Power source and stick with it.
-Every Hero Has their Limitations: I require that you have one Complication and One Drawback minimum.
-Largest number goes first: When making Power Arrays, the Alternate Powers' ranks can't exceed the base Power (ie, you want to have Magnetic Control 8, with Strike as an Alternate Power. That’s fine, but the rank of your alternate power can’t exceed 8, so you might as well get an Extra on that power to balance out the excess points)
-Your Time to Shine: With my permission, and provided it suits your character's 'flavor', you can exceed the Power Level Limits by a maximum of two ranks (ie, Let’s say that your Hero is an Assassin-type. I’ll let you take Sneak Attack enough times that it can exceed the maximum Damage limit by two ranks. Or let's say that your hero is an Aquatic hero... you can take "Favored Environment (Aquatic)" without worrying about Power Level Limits.)
-No Slow Fade for You: You can only take Slow Fade on Powers that fade normally... and only once. If you take the “Fades” flaw on a power, you can’t take the Slow Fade Power Feat.

Note: This is only an exploratory thread, so this won't be happening right away. Take this time to share Superhero concepts and makes sure we don't have a "Vampire, Meet Vampire Hunter" type of party. :wink:

Carrikature
05-19-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm going to see if I can find my teleporting swordsman, but define 'grittier'.

And...Iron Age? Is the setting medieval-ish?

Chaotic Void
05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm going to see if I can find my teleporting swordsman, but define 'grittier'.

And...Iron Age? Is the setting medieval-ish?

Iron Age is an age of comics where things were dark and gritty. Think along the lines of the Punisher.

Carrikature
05-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Iron Age is an age of comics where things were dark and gritty. Think along the lines of the Punisher.

Oh. :blush:

Irate Canadian
05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Any good resources for building our characters?

Chaotic Void
05-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Here's the 'teaser' from the "What do YOU want to play?" Thread, just so people don't have to go to that thread to find out what's going on. :hehe:

To: Viper (Viper@Brood.com)
Subject: Recent Recon File (Urgent Priority)

One of our corporate spies found something of critical interest with one of their scouting drones. Here’s the audio from our espionage over at Voltt Industries…

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Voltt, sir?”

“Yes, Miss Helmsby. What is it?”

“There’s someone here to see you, sir. He claims to be an old friend of yours.”

“That so? I have many old friends. What’s this one like?”

“Well, this one in particular seems to disregard our company’s non-smoking policy, but he’s giving off a certain vibe that makes none of our security guards seem willing to confiscate his pipe from him.”

“Oh. THAT old friend.” *amused chuckle* “Send him in.”

*A couple minutes of silence, followed by a door crash*

“Geez, you’d think those cretins you’ve got down there would appreciate the nice aroma of a good jalapeno chocolate pipe tobacco… Nothing but grumblers, I tell you.”

“Their grumbling was probably more due to my strict non-smoking policy than their taste in aromatics, Nexus.”

“Eh, whatever.” *tapping noise* “Now that I’ve got your attention, have you given any thought to my offer?”

“*Sigh* I figured that’s what this was about. As much as I’d love to get back down there and help you clean up the streets, I’ve got my hands full as the CEO of this company.”

“Well, if not you, then surely at least you could spare your cyborg, that Bionic Ice character.”

“No can do. It’s public knowledge that he’s employed by Voltt Industries. You know the law as well as I do… If he starts getting involved in vigilante shenanigans, I’ll be up to my ears in Metahuman investigations. That’s also partially why I can’t don my Gigavolt armor and go down there.”

“Great… Well, that almost leaves me up the creek without a paddle when it comes to veteran hero backup.”

“Almost? Don’t tell me you’re planning to consult the Reciprocator for--”

“Not a chance. Unless I absolutely have to, that guy is staying as far away from this project of mine as possible. Things are already bad enough as it is… I don’t need some crazy monk completely undoing my work six months from now just to fulfill some stupid Oath.”

“Geez. How bad is it down there...?”

“You really wanna know? You’ve got your typical creepy cultists, these ones with a hair obsession, randomly kidnapping people for I-don’t-even-want-to-know-what infernal purpose.”

“Cultists? That doesn’t sound pretty. That can’t be all, though.”

“You’re right… that’s only the tip of the iceberg. There’s a pack of mercenaries and assassins slithering about, selling their skills and their tech- which is insanely advanced- to the highest bidder.”

“Ugh. Do I want to know what lies at the bottom of this iceberg?”

“Maybe… There’s rumors that the mob is making a grab for power here by uniting the local crime-lords. Apparently, they’ve got an ace up their sleeve that’s gotten them really cocky.”

“So, Cultists, the Mob, and High-Tech Mercenaries? That sounds like an unhealthy combination for anyone to deal with. If things are that bad down there, I’m surprised that the government hasn’t sent in the Battle Brigade.”

“Not a chance. They wouldn’t risk their prized Superhero team breaking a nail over something they’ve probably got their greasy hands in.”

*chuckle*“Somehow, your opinion on that matter doesn’t surprise me. Either way, my hands are tied. I wish you well in finding some other vigilantes to help you.”

“Thanks… I’m sick of this political baloney restricting supers to being government flunkies, prison numbers, or corporate shills- no offense.”

“None taken; I’m not a fan either. Even with my corporate sponsorship, Bionic Ice is still highly restricted as to what he can do.”

“Hey, look on the bright side. If I pull this off, maybe Washington will take the hint that their silly little Superhero Sponsorship Act isn’t worth the Paper it’s- Hold on, I think I just bumped into something.”

“Really? What?”

“I don’t know… let’s find out.”

*Decloaking sound, followed by the sound of crunching and twisting of metal, ending with static*

“Rea--y, V—tt… Y—ne-d to d- s-me bett—ba--gr—nd che-ks on you—em—oy—s…”
--------------------------------------------------------------

On a related note, our spy was discovered and terminated moments after they sent this to me.

If this plan of Nexus's comes to fruition, this could potentially spell trouble for us. I await your input on as to what we should do about this matter…

===========================

To: Dr. Mongoose (Mongoose@Brood.com)
Subject: RE: Recent Recon File (Urgent Priority)

I wouldn’t worry too much about this Nexus character... From what I know, his powers are of a highly unstable nature. As for this so-called band of ‘heroes’ he plans to assemble, find out where they’re supposed to meet and send a small squad there. See if you can find a way to ‘anonymously’ tip off the other groups as well. Might as well nip this in the bud.

============

Chaotic Void
05-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Any good resources for building our characters?

I think Hero-Lab has a Mutants and Masterminds character creator (If you go that route, M&M Second Edition is the one you're looking for). Other than that, I've done things by ear relying on the handbook.

Carrikature
05-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm making a telekinetic ghost, but I have a question about ability scores. I'm taking Insubstantial Rank 4, Duration: Continuous, Flaw: Permanent to get a permanent incorporeal form. The incorporeal form has a non-existent strength score. I'm planning to drop Constitution to 0 (I have a Regeneration Power planned). I should be able to drop Strength to 0 too, since I can't use it anyway, right?

Pinoy
05-27-2014, 03:49 AM
is this ok to generate character? http://www.pathguy.com/d20modern.htm

Irate Canadian
05-27-2014, 06:05 AM

That's a D&D character generator...

Chaotic Void
05-27-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm making a telekinetic ghost, but I have a question about ability scores. I'm taking Insubstantial Rank 4, Duration: Continuous, Flaw: Permanent to get a permanent incorporeal form. The incorporeal form has a non-existent strength score. I'm planning to drop Constitution to 0 (I have a Regeneration Power planned). I should be able to drop Strength to 0 too, since I can't use it anyway, right?

Yep. As a matter of fact, it says in the book you have no strength if you take rank 4. Just remember, only your Mental and Sensory powers will affect the corporeal world unless you take the Affects Corporeal Extra on the other powers (a fairly reasonable tradeoff)

Nope. This game is running off a different rule-system entirely (Mutants and Masterminds).

Teallaura
05-27-2014, 08:20 AM
When are you planning to get started?

Chaotic Void
05-27-2014, 08:26 AM
When are you planning to get started?

Not right away. I've got to build the world a little more before I'm ready to go (No, Teal, don't worry. I don't have 5000 different NPCs to keep track of). If you're still interested I can send you the handbook.

Teallaura
05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
(4998 instead, huh? :wink:)

I was more concerned about having time myself - as long as you aren't starting right away, I should be able to play. Send the book, please.

Chaotic Void
05-27-2014, 09:40 AM
(4998 instead, huh? :wink:)

I was more concerned about having time myself - as long as you aren't starting right away, I should be able to play. Send the book, please.

Book Sent. For those who demand a specific time-frame, I don't see myself starting this campaign for about a month. I've got other things to do over the next month (including some visiting to do in the middle of June.)

Teallaura
05-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Eh, I didn't need a specific time frame - just making sure I didn't have to do this within the next week!

Carrikature
05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Yep. As a matter of fact, it says in the book you have no strength if you take rank 4. Just remember, only your Mental and Sensory powers will affect the corporeal world unless you take the Affects Corporeal Extra on the other powers (a fairly reasonable tradeoff).

That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I could use those extra PP.

And...here's my first attempt: Karla "Slip" Brandt (https://db.tt/jwxhG8j9). She's officially know as the Weiss Geist (White Ghost), but prefers the nickname Slip.

It seems like there should be some immunities that come with having no constitution. I'm not sure how to handle those.

Zymologist
05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm interested, but totally ignorant. (Seriously...I know nothing about these things.)

Since I seem to be the only one around here that literally knows nothing, is this a bad place to start? How does one go about learning...whatever this is?

Carrikature
05-27-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm interested, but totally ignorant. (Seriously...I know nothing about these things.)

Since I seem to be the only one around here that literally knows nothing, is this a bad place to start? How does one go about learning...whatever this is?

You are far from the only one that knows nothing. I expect most of us playing will know nothing (or next best thing to).

Zymologist
05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
You are far from the only one that knows nothing. I expect most of us playing will know nothing (or next best thing to).

No, I mean I don't even know what this game (the system) is called.

Teallaura
05-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Mutants and Masterminds is the game system. Ever play any RPG before?

Zymologist
05-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Mutants and Masterminds is the game system. Ever play any RPG before?

Outside of a video game? No. (Well, there was the time my friend and I tried to invent a tabletop RPG while we were on a fish processing barge with no fish to process...but that doesn't count.)

ETA: It seems this was a bad place to start, so pardon my intrusion. Carry on. :smile:

Chaotic Void
05-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Well, if you don't mind being The New Guy(TM), and if the other more seasoned players (more with the concept than this particular rule system) don't mind lending a hand, I'd be glad to have you.

Teallaura
05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Fresh meat! Er, I mean, sure, we'll help the new guy...

:hehe:

Chaotic Void
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
So... Anyone got any character concepts they want to put on the table? :grin:

Spartacus
06-06-2014, 02:34 PM
A mime.

Carrikature
06-06-2014, 02:53 PM
I linked to a telekinetic ghost. I have an idea for a duplicating corrosion or fatigue monster.

Chaotic Void
06-07-2014, 06:59 AM
A mime.

If you want to play a mime... by all means, go ahead. :tongue:

I linked to a telekinetic ghost. I have an idea for a duplicating corrosion or fatigue monster.

I like the ghost concept, though those other ones could work too. :thumb:

Spartacus
06-07-2014, 07:27 AM
If you want to play a mime... by all means, go ahead. :tongue:

Communicating with wild gesticulations and fighting using invisible constructs as weapons. Best of all, I don't need to write any dialogue :teeth:

Teallaura
06-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Is it too early to kill the mime?

Spartacus
06-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Slightly.

Carrikature
06-07-2014, 11:29 AM

Telekinetic ghost mime?

Spartacus
06-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Telekinetic ghost mime?

If you kill him and he becomes a ghost, then he might start possessing people. And making them act like mimes.

I think I just came up with a really despicable idea for a villain.

Carrikature
06-07-2014, 12:01 PM
If you kill him and he becomes a ghost, then he might start possessing people. And making them act like mimes.

I think I just came up with a really despicable idea for a villain.

I'm pretty sure "acting like a mime" falls under the extra check rules for making them do things they wouldn't normally do. :tongue:

Teallaura
06-07-2014, 02:05 PM
We can all have dead characters and call ourselves 'The Dead Squad'! :idea:

:egad: Maybe not...

Spartacus
06-07-2014, 02:22 PM
We can all have dead characters and call ourselves 'The Dead Squad'! :idea:

:egad: Maybe not...

Only if the setting is "zombie apocalypse"

Chaotic Void
06-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Yeah, little too early. Heck, with my luck, he may be the character that saves your backsides every fight. :rofl:

ETA: So, Teal... What kind of hero(ine) you planning to make? :grin:

Teallaura
06-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Ooh, that gives me an idea... :idea:

Hey, Spart, how would you feel about a mime named Kenny? He'd die every encounter but we'd forget it and he'd come right back.

:grin:

I'm still thinking, CV... :ponder:

Carrikature
06-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Ooh, that gives me an idea... :idea:

Hey, Spart, how would you feel about a mime named Kenny? He'd die every encounter but we'd forget it and he'd come right back.

:grin:

I'm still thinking, CV... :ponder:

Just take ranks in Regeneration: Resurrection.

Chaotic Void
06-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Just take ranks in Regeneration: Resurrection.

I could also just allow for a plot-device death/resurrection for comedic effect. Just because.

He'd still be able to die by normal means (ie, Fails his saves bad enough, makes a REALLY stupid decision), but other than that, Kenny would die every encounter and come back to life shortly after. :hehe:

Spartacus
06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
So I've come up with a different idea: a person who was driven mad (and given strange powers) through exposure to a mysterious relic known as the Wand of Gamelon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibK0Nj0sjyU&feature=kp).

Confusion as a power is a must. The ability to store impossible amounts of stuff (dimensional pocket) and to summon a swarm of angry cuccos (minion horde) would also be appropriate.

Cerebrum123
06-11-2014, 12:18 PM
So I've come up with a different idea: a person who was driven mad (and given strange powers) through exposure to a mysterious relic known as the Wand of Gamelon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibK0Nj0sjyU&feature=kp).

Confusion as a power is a must. The ability to store impossible amounts of stuff (dimensional pocket) and to summon a swarm of angry cuccos (minion horde) would also be appropriate.

Never got to play that one. That was an unlicensed Zelda game wasn't it?

Spartacus
06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Never got to play that one. That was an unlicensed Zelda game wasn't it?

I've never played it, either, and I can't tell you any more than you could discover for yourself through a Google search.

Chaotic Void
06-12-2014, 07:26 PM

It's just weird and anti-hero ish enough to work in an Iron Age game... :twitch:

Spartacus
06-12-2014, 07:46 PM
It's just weird and anti-hero ish enough to work in an Iron Age game... :twitch:

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2011/04/01/323-philips-box/

The character could either be gritty or utterly ridiculous, and I'm gonna have to resist the temptation to fall more on the ridiculous side. I guess if he's not gritty enough, I can always tell people that they must die for daring to bring light into my lair. Or tell enemies that consuming their hearts will sustain me.

Chaotic Void
06-13-2014, 07:01 AM
http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2011/04/01/323-philips-box/

The character could either be gritty or utterly ridiculous, and I'm gonna have to resist the temptation to fall more on the ridiculous side. I guess if he's not gritty enough, I can always tell people that they must die for daring to bring light into my lair. Or tell enemies that consuming their hearts will sustain me.

Go nuts, Sparty. :grin:

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Go nuts, Sparty. :grin:

Not just nuts... Deku nuts.

Teallaura
06-13-2014, 09:55 AM
So, the great dane is out, huh?

:wink:

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
So, the great dane is out, huh?

:wink:

Methinks Iron Age Mystery, Inc. will be a little more difficult to pull off than a madman with some LoZ inspiration.

Teallaura
06-13-2014, 10:15 AM
You're no fun... :tongue:

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 10:18 AM
You're no fun... :tongue:

Yeah, I know. It's all yawns when I'm around.

Teallaura
06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
:hmph: Now I'll be running around with a PC because of whom someone will have to explain all the in jokes to me.

Carrikature
06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
:hmph: Now I'll be running around with a PC because of whom someone will have to explain all the in jokes to me.

I don't think anyone else will get the in-joke either.

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't think anyone else will get the in-joke either.

He's supposed to be a madman. If you understand all the in-jokes, I'm doing it wrong :teeth:

Teallaura
06-13-2014, 12:27 PM
He's supposed to be a madman. If you understand all the in-jokes, I'm doing it wrong :teeth:
I never did much video gaming - I know what LoZ is and that's about it. :shrug:

I do have an idea for my character finally, however...

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
I can explain the jokes in the commentary thread.

Teallaura
06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
:ponder: Well, I guess that'll do.

Chaotic Void
06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
:bump:

So... How's everyone coming along with their characters? :grin:

Irate Canadian
06-17-2014, 06:38 PM

So... How's everyone coming along with their characters? :grin:

Getting the main points of my character done, however trying to figure out how I do a character sheet for M&M properly.

Teallaura
06-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah, now I gotta actually roll the thing up... :sigh:

Irate Canadian
06-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah, now I gotta actually roll the thing up... :sigh:

What's your idea Teal?

Chaotic Void
06-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Getting the main points of my character done, however trying to figure out how I do a character sheet for M&M properly.

What are you having trouble with?

Meta Knight
06-19-2014, 12:40 PM
There's a 2nd edition of M&M? And also, do you still need people? Because I'm still up for it as ever I used to be.

Chaotic Void
06-19-2014, 04:12 PM
There's a 2nd edition of M&M? And also, do you still need people? Because I'm still up for it as ever I used to be.

Don't worry, there's plenty of room. :grin:

Technically, 2nd Edition was the edition we had been using on old Tweb. The third edition does look interesting though (I have the DC Adventures Heroes Handbook, which is based off of M&M 3e).

Chaotic Void
06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Since Carrik brought up a valid point in the SB, here's what I meant by 'Gritty': The overall campaign is going to have a darker, more serious tone. The big thing is that the villains will be genuinely trying to kill your heroes. Sure, they might hang you over a death trap and slowly lower you in... but they actually plan to use that ChunkySalsanator 5000.

Spartacus
06-20-2014, 10:05 PM
So we should be expecting something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNitT8zcbuw

Teallaura
06-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Um, not sure I'll be able to play after all. I'm gonna have trouble being online for a while.

Chaotic Void
06-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Um, not sure I'll be able to play after all. I'm gonna have trouble being online for a while.

Not a problem, Teal. You can always jump in later, should your online time increase.

Speaking of which, how's everyone else coming along rolling up characters?

Meta Knight
06-27-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna need the material again, since it was all on my old computer.

Chaotic Void
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Okee, folks... would anyone object to starting the game on the 13th? Gives you about 11 days to build/finalize your characters.

Spartacus
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna be gone the week of the 21st, just for reference. I'll try to get a coherent character sheet together in the mean time, though.

Irate Canadian
07-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Hey CV, mind sending me that template for Character sheets you use?

Chaotic Void
07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Hey CV, mind sending me that template for Character sheets you use?

Gladly. Do you want the annotated version (which basically notes "This is what this does/means")?

Irate Canadian
07-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Gladly. Do you want the annotated version (which basically notes "This is what this does/means")?

Yes. Thanks in advance.

Chaotic Void
07-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Yes. Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Oh, and before I forget folks... the name of the city the game takes place in is called Purgatory. It's a large place, population of about 300k. I don't want to get into too much detail other than that, lest I spill the beans. :blush:

Carrikature
07-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Have you looked over my ghost? Should I draw up an alternate?

Teallaura
07-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Ooh, me too, please!

Chaotic Void
07-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Have you looked over my ghost? Should I draw up an alternate?

She seems all right. Your math Checks out for what you have, but you forgot to add Immunity 30 (FORT Saves) because she's technically not alive. Also, her Toughness is crap (even though it technically starts at 0. I rule that since your CON score is Non-Existent, she doesn't get a negative penalty), and her other saves are questionable as well. It might be a good idea to rework her, or perhaps roll up something else (I do like the concept, though).

Chaotic Void
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Ooh, me too, please!

Sent.

If either of you (Teal and IC) have questions, feel free to ask me here or in PM.

MaxVel
07-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Working on a build:

Crusher - Intrepid reporter who turns into a rock monster 'brick' with a few earth-themed powers added (super movement, super senses...)

Irate Canadian
07-07-2014, 11:48 AM
My build is

Cyberpunk - Software Billionaire who has martial arts training and a self-aware gauntlet which can control electronics around the city.

Spartacus
07-07-2014, 12:00 PM
All I have so far is the ability to summon two swarms of angry cuccos and a sword with a few alternate powers, including the ability to attack every enemy within 40 feet.

Meta Knight
07-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Can I just get a list of characters so that I know what not to build?

Chaotic Void
07-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Can I just get a list of characters so that I know what not to build?

Here's a quick rundown. If I'm wrong, Correct me folks.

-MaxVel: Reporter that assumes an Earthen Form.
-Teallaura: Unknown (She seems to be keeping her concept under wraps, but she may be a late-comer anyways)
-Carrikature: A ghost character (unless he's planning to switch her out for something else)
-Spartacus: Shapeshifter who's entire shtick is that he's crazy and his forms are inspired by Legend of Zelda masks.
-Irate Canadian: Martial Artist with a sentient AI in his techno-gauntlet

MaxVel
07-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Here's a quick rundown. If I'm wrong, Correct me folks.

-MaxVel: Reporter that assumes an Earthen Form.
-Teallaura: Unknown (She seems to be keeping her concept under wraps, but she may be a late-comer anyways)
-Carrikature: A ghost character (unless he's planning to switch her out for something else)
-Spartacus: Shapeshifter who's entire shtick is that he's crazy and his forms are inspired by Legend of Zelda masks.
-Irate Canadian: Martial Artist with a sentient AI in his techno-gauntlet

Errmmm... that should be Intrepid Reporter (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IntrepidReporter)... (Gotta follow those tropes) :wink:

Chaotic Void
07-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Errmmm... that should be Intrepid Reporter (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IntrepidReporter)... (Gotta follow those tropes) :wink:

:hehe: Got it.

Chaotic Void
07-11-2014, 08:49 PM
So... Uhh... Do you guys need more time to concoct characters? It's two days till Go-Time, but I have no problem waiting a little longer for folks to polish their character sheets.

Meta Knight
07-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I haven't really had time to work on it (been busy with work). You may need to start without me and I'll fall in later when it becomes appropriate.

Chaotic Void
07-11-2014, 09:13 PM
I haven't really had time to work on it (been busy with work). You may need to start without me and I'll fall in later when it becomes appropriate.

I'm actually tempted to just give you guys another week or two, since Spart will be gone the week of the 21st, and both You/Teal will be latecomers. No point in starting if half the party is gonna be late. :shrug:

MaxVel
07-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm nearly ready to go, just got to tidy up my build and background a bit. But I don't mind waiting.

Teallaura
07-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Haven't had time to do anything with it this week. Should have time by Tuesday.

Chaotic Void
07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Haven't had time to do anything with it this week. Should have time by Tuesday.

Okee dokee.

As it stands, MaxVel and Carrik are the only people I have character sheets from.

Chaotic Void
07-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Okee dokee.

As it stands, MaxVel and Carrik are the only people I have character sheets from.

Speaking of which, folks... :bump:

How are the characters coming along?

Teallaura
07-21-2014, 07:47 AM
:sad: Sowwy - it was a really busy week-end...

Chaotic Void
08-09-2014, 07:39 PM
So... Uh... Anyone home?

MaxVel
08-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Still here....:smile:

If anyone needs help with a build I might be able to assist...

Spartacus
08-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Still here....:smile:

If anyone needs help with a build I might be able to assist...

Ooh, ooh, pick me! I need help!

Teallaura
08-10-2014, 05:30 PM
As soon as I finish my character in IC's game I'll work on this one.

In other words, I will be begging for help shortly.

MaxVel
08-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Ooh, ooh, pick me! I need help!

With the first pick of the 2014 M&M draft, MaxVel chooses.....

Spartacus!

A prolific scorer out of Hashtag, Nevada. Raised on the banks of the Tiber, Spartacus is noted for his feisty defense and creativity on offense.

{PM me what you have so far, or post it here....}

Spartacus
08-10-2014, 07:30 PM
With the first pick of the 2014 M&M draft, MaxVel chooses.....

Spartacus!

A prolific scorer out of Hashtag, Nevada. Raised on the banks of the Tiber, Spartacus is noted for his feisty defense and creativity on offense.

{PM me what you have so far, or post it here....}

The concept is: legend of zelda-themed lunatic who uses a mask to transform into various characters from the series. I have a few specific ideas for powers, but I really don't know what makes a good MnM character. I'm looking for an overall blueprint to make this furniture work.

We have a total of 130 points to distribute. I can spend about 50 to get device 16 with easy-to-lose, which in turn gets me 10 ranks of shapeshift, which means each power setting gets 50 points to distribute.

The base character (minus the mask) will have the ability to summon angry swarms of chickens (summon minion) and a surprising amount of storage space (extra-dimensional space): together, they shouldn't need to take up more than 10-15 PP, which leaves 65-70 for the base character.

The first three mask settings I have planned are based on the transformation masks from Majora's Mask.

Pretty flexible other than that. Basically, I need to know what the base character and the transformations will need to make a viable overall character.

Chaotic Void
08-10-2014, 07:38 PM
As soon as I finish my character in IC's game I'll work on this one.

In other words, I will be begging for help shortly.

PM me when you get to that point. I'll be able to help you with that. :grin:

Irate Canadian
08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Can I get some expert help? :p

Chaotic Void
08-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Can I get some expert help? :p

Sure. Shoot me a PM.

MaxVel
08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
The concept is: legend of zelda-themed lunatic who uses a mask to transform into various characters from the series. I have a few specific ideas for powers, but I really don't know what makes a good MnM character. I'm looking for an overall blueprint to make this furniture work.

We have a total of 130 points to distribute. I can spend about 50 to get device 16 with easy-to-lose, which in turn gets me 10 ranks of shapeshift, which means each power setting gets 50 points to distribute.

The base character (minus the mask) will have the ability to summon angry swarms of chickens (summon minion) and a surprising amount of storage space (extra-dimensional space): together, they shouldn't need to take up more than 10-15 PP, which leaves 65-70 for the base character.

The first three mask settings I have planned are based on the transformation masks from Majora's Mask.

Pretty flexible other than that. Basically, I need to know what the base character and the transformations will need to make a viable overall character.

Ok...

For the chicken summon you could use this:

Summon (Minion) Power Rank 1 [Feat: Progression 6; Extra: Horde] 8pp
Can summon 100 Chickens as one standard action; 15pp per chicken

Options you could add to the power:
Progression 7 (summon 250 chickens) +1pp
Feat: Mental Link (allows communication over any distance) +1pp
Power Rank 2 (gives you 30pp to build a mean chicken) +1pp
Extra: Duration (Sustained to Continuous) +1pp/PR - the chickens would be around until you dismiss them, without you having to spend any effort or concentration to maintain them.

Next:

Dimensional Pocket Power Rank 4 8pp
Allows storage of 1,000 lbs of stuff

Options:
PR 5, can store 2,500 lbs, +2pp
PR 6, can store 10,000 lbs, +4pp

Depending on the character concept (and with CV's approval) you could perhaps make the Summon power an Alternate Power of the Dimensional Pocket. Benefit: Costs less pp; drawback: you can't use both at the same time (You couldn't access the pocket while summoning chickens, or summon chickens while using the pocket). You would be storing stuff in the 'Chicken dimension', from where you can also summon a horde of loyal followers...

This would look like:

Dimensional Pocket PR 4 9pp
(can store 1,000 lbs)
Alternate Power: Summon (Minion) Power Rank 1 [Feat: Progression 6; Extra: Horde] 8pp
Can summon 100 Chickens as one standard action; 15pp per chicken

For the rest of the base character I think you should carefully choose skills and feats, abilities and saves that are going to be helpful when you're in your different mask forms.

The Mask:

(I'm not at all familiar with Zelda)

I think you could build the Mask as a Device (as you suggest), perhaps with the Restricted Feat (+1pp, limits it to only people of a certain bloodline, or with certain stats (eg Wis 20), or only women, etc)

I don't think you need to use Shapeshift: that seems to be a power for changing into any one of a bunch of related forms (eg Shapeshift into any land animal)

I think perhaps Alternate Form is better.

So:

Alternate Form Power Rank 10
Base Form: 'Goron' form
{50pp to build whatever powers needed}
Alternate Power: 'Deku' form
{50pp to build}
Alternate Power: 'Mogma' form
{50pp to build}

etc (use whatever forms you want)

Cost: 50pp, plus 1pp per Alternate Power

Each form would effectively be a separate character build

Cerebrum123
08-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Switch out the Mogma for a Zora. Majora's Mask didn't have Mogma's, I think they first showed up in Skyward Sword.

Spartacus
08-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I was planning on a Zora form, yes.

Also, better than rolling attacks for 100-250 chickens would be treating the group as a single large swarm.

I guess I didn't make it sufficiently clear:

For the rest of the base character I think you should carefully choose skills and feats, abilities and saves that are going to be helpful when you're in your different mask forms.
That was exactly what I wanted help with.

MaxVel
08-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Spartacus -

You can integrate bonuses to stats and saves etc into the Mask's different power forms, so as a base character you just need to build the base stats and stuff that the character would have without the mask. These don't necessarily have to be very high, although you might want to think about how to operate if you don't have the mask.

For Feats I would be looking at general combat feats like Accurate attack, Power attack, All out attack, Takedown; also you may want to have Defensive roll (if it's an agile character) or Dodge focus, Evasion, things like that. These should all be available when you have the mask on, too.

It's a bit hard to be more specific without a better idea of the concept for the base character. I'll try and make a 'build' when I get a bit of time later today.

Another thought: You could make the chickens a 'flavour' for another power, for example
Visual Obscure, PR4 8pp
A mass of angry fluttering chickens fills the area (100 foot radius)

Spartacus
08-22-2014, 05:17 PM
The idea of creating multiple shapeshifting forms has proven just a bit too complex and intimidating for an inexperienced player.

Teallaura
08-22-2014, 05:39 PM
:hug: Don't feel bad...

Chaotic Void
08-22-2014, 06:41 PM
The idea of creating multiple shapeshifting forms has proven just a bit too complex and intimidating for an inexperienced player.

That bites... maybe make something simpler? Like a Psychic... or The Spleen. :grin:

Spartacus
08-22-2014, 08:31 PM
That bites... maybe make something simpler? Like a Psychic... or The Spleen. :grin:

Was thinking more along the lines of a flying brick.

Chaotic Void
08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Was thinking more along the lines of a flying brick.

Eh, if all else fails, we could help you whip up a character. :hehe:

rogue06
08-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Mystery Men reference? Years ago our DM retired our party (AD&D) as we had gotten so (overly) powerful we "could fart 6hp damage."

Chaotic Void
08-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Mystery Men reference? Years ago our DM retired our party (AD&D) as we had gotten so (overly) powerful we "could fart 6hp damage."

Yes, that was a Mystery Men reference. :woohoo:

What happened if you lit the fart? :whistle:

Chaotic Void
08-24-2014, 07:41 PM
By the way, folks... I'm going to need for each of you to provide me with what color you want your Hero's Token to be when it comes to the map. :grin:

Teallaura
08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Pink!

Er, wait, wrong game...

MaxVel
08-25-2014, 02:17 AM
Orange or tan (or some suitable earthy colour).

MaxVel
08-31-2014, 05:35 AM
<Bump>

Anyone need any help making a character?

I could rough up a possible build if someone has some concepts that they're working on....

Chaotic Void
08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
<Bump>

Anyone need any help making a character?

I could rough up a possible build if someone has some concepts that they're working on....

I built IC one, Spart's got his new concept fleshed out, and Teal's gonna work on it when she gets a chance (though she says we can start without her). I'll be starting once Sparty sends me his character sheet.

Spartacus
08-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Spart's got his new concept fleshed out

Quite the opposite, actually. :tongue: But maybe that's an overly circuitous way of speaking.

It's a robot :teeth:

Chaotic Void
08-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Quite the opposite, actually. :tongue: But maybe that's an overly circuitous way of speaking.

It's a robot :teeth:

Nice of you to spark up the pun content here.

Teallaura
08-31-2014, 11:29 AM
I built IC one, Spart's got his new concept fleshed out, and Teal's gonna work on it when she gets a chance (though she says we can start without her). I'll be starting once Sparty sends me his character sheet.
I'll need help when I get into the mechanics but at this point I'm still lost on the possibilities - and that's because I haven't had time to really read the section I need to. I have to have an idea of what the game allows to get a grasp of the character I'm building - it that makes sense to anyone.

:shrug: You knew I was weird...

Chaotic Void
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM
http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?3546-Game-Thread-Retribution-in-Purgatory-(A-M-amp-M-2e-Campaign)&p=96535#post96535

It's up, folks. Let's see what happens. I'll have a commentary thread up soon.

Teallaura
09-27-2014, 06:56 PM
So, what do you need? I'm perfectly willing (and probably should) to give up trying to figure out what I want to do with this thing and just be whatever the party needs - assuming Max is still willing to help with creation 'cause I'm not getting it (my fault- can't even blame the game. :rant: ).

Chaotic Void
09-27-2014, 07:39 PM
So, what do you need? I'm perfectly willing (and probably should) to give up trying to figure out what I want to do with this thing and just be whatever the party needs - assuming Max is still willing to help with creation 'cause I'm not getting it (my fault- can't even blame the game. :rant: ).

Well, a more magically-inclined character wouldn't be a bad idea. That way if someone drops an EMP the party isn't ENTIRELY up the creek (otherwise, they're relying on Crusher to do all the work. :wink:)

Meta Knight
09-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Magic is a little bit complex for someone who's never used the system before. Maybe I should build a magic character if ever I find the time to join.

Spartacus
09-27-2014, 09:11 PM
I made a walking gun because it seemed like a simpler way to go.

Someone with super-speed could be good.

MaxVel
09-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Very happy to help in any way I can, Teal. I actually will have some time to do so, too, over the next few weeks.

My suggestion is go for a character that you want to play, rather than whatever best fits the party needs. If you're struggling for ideas, decide what kinds of powers you want to have, and how you'll approach combat, and build around that.

So, some questions and some of the possible answers:

How does the PC move? - Fly/ run super fast/ super leaps/ climb walls / normal

How do they protect themselves? - armor / very hard to hit / hard to damage / shield / force field

How do they fight? - melee / use a gun / blast enemies from range with a power / use a weapon / use traps, deception, paralysis etc

What physical attributes do they have? - normal / super strong / super smart / super agile

What skills and abilities do they have? - none special / genius inventor / good at driving / sneaky / know everyone / great at spotting things

What unusual powers do they have? - none / invisible / can go through walls / super senses / made of metal / can control fire

Another approach is to think of the PC background - how did they become a hero? - and build powers that make sense for that background. Eg would be Spiderman - bitten by a spider, has spider abilities.

Also you can pick a hero that you like, and build a version of that. 'I love Rogue from the X-Men' - build your version of Rogue, with your own flavor.

Spartacus
09-28-2014, 08:10 AM
If the :tlaura: smilie isn't relevant to the character, I'll be disappointed.