Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Bird egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird egg

Well, I was cleaning up my yard from the wind storm we had on Thursday evening, and I discovered an unbroken robin's egg. It was pretty cold, but it was completely intact. I wanted to show it to my son and to Mrs. The Cat, so I picked it up and took it inside. Well, it started moving. Barely, but I could feel it move. So did my son and the Mrs. Well, we all have pretty tender hearts, and didn't want to abandon the thing if it had a chance of survival. We got a small bowl and a piece of an abandoned nest from the bushes in the front yard and placed it in the nest in the bowl. We took it to the nearby veterinarian to ask what to do. The guy behind the counter was very rude, and told us they couldn't do anything with a bird egg. So, I came home and asked Google. He told me to take it to a pet store. Fortunately, we have a Petco within a few minutes. I called and the girl that answered said she had an incubator at home and already had 2 robin eggs, and that she would be glad to take it home. She looked at it outside in the sun and determined that it will hatch in about a week, and that despite it suffering from low humidity, she could care for it through its hatching. She even volunteered to call us to let us know the progress. Son was very happy, and we wrote a very nice note on the local Petco's Facebook page thanking the young lady who took the egg.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

We're not so high tech... we just put it in a small aquarium with a 60 watt light bulb, shielding the egg from the direct light. And, yeah, we've hatched robins, starlings, wrens.....

Somewhere i have a picture of an old work shirt of mine I left in the garage, and a family of birds decided to hatch in it.

I have to admit -- I'm a softie for baby birds.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Be careful, you don't want to end up with the bugs that a friend of ours got. Can't remember exactly what they were, but they would get all over you, and were very hard to get rid of.

Comment

Bird mites?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Bird mites?
          That's the one. Thanks.

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Be careful, you don't want to end up with the bugs that a friend of ours got. Can't remember exactly what they were, but they would get all over you, and were very hard to get rid of.
              I live in the woods. We call that "nature". But, yeah, we try to keep the more "natural" parts of nature at the back of the property.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Eggs don't have mites, the birds have to hatch to get them.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Awwww....
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I live in the woods. We call that "nature". But, yeah, we try to keep the more "natural" parts of nature at the back of the property.
                    I call it "unpleasant"

Comment

Season 3, episode 12, "Mr Monk gets Cabin Fever":

'Nature! I've got Nature on my hand! Get it off! '

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Season 3, episode 12, "Mr Monk gets Cabin Fever":

'Nature! I've got Nature on my hand! Get it off! '
                        Yeah, EGGzackly!

Comment

Ah...i miss Tony Shaloub.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            Ah...i miss Tony Shaloub.
                            We often see Monk Marathons

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              We often see Monk Marathons
                              Yes we do...and the finale was one that I was actually pleased with. I meant I miss the actor himself. They did have a new series with him which I never got around to seeing before it bombed out, apparently.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X