Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shroud of Turin - New Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shroud of Turin - New Date?

Originally posted by USA Today
    New scientific tests on the Shroud of Turin, which went on display Saturday in a special TV appearance introduced by the Pope, dates the cloth to ancient times, challenging earlier experiments dating it only to the Middle Ages.
    Pope Francis sent a special video message to the televised event in the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Turin, Italy, which coincided with Holy Saturday, when Catholics mark the period between Christ's crucifixion on Good Friday and his resurrection on Easter Sunday.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...splay/2038295/

Anyone know what the heck they did? It mentions 'infra-red light and spectroscopy' but doesn't give details.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Gary Habermas will be happy with that
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Anyone know what the heck they did? It mentions 'infra-red light and spectroscopy' but doesn't give details.
      He really should have published the research in a journal, or at the very least made the relevant scientific reports much more accessible. The only way to find out, at the moment, is to buy his book.

Comment

This is very interesting, though 300 BC to 400 AD is still quite a wide range so certainty will probably never be possible.

But, yes, Habermas should be very pleased as Raph said. He has been one of the few academics to consistently hold to its authenticity.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm fairly sure Italian experts, way before this, used this computer imaging software to determin it couldn't have been faked.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

FWIU, Fanti, as mentioned in your link, employed infra-red light and spectroscopy but appears to have developed his own method of analyzing the data. Essentially he developed a calibration curve based on examining changes in cellulose structure on a few samples of fabrics from an assorted different time periods (ranging from 1000 to 4000 years old) and then figured where the Shroud fit into the results.

Again, FWIU, his original results showed that the Shroud was actually several hundred years older than the time of Christ but Fanti, citing the fire that the Shroud was damaged by in the 16th century, "corrected" the dates and moved the dates up so that the calculated age of the Shroud included the time that Jesus was crucified.

ETA: This from Wikipedia:

Source: Shroud of Turin: Recent Developments

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by rogue06; 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It sounds very interesting, but since there's no information about the technique used or how it was applied, there's nothing yet that really overturns the original C-14 dating, from my perspective. If its legitimate, that would be very interesting.

Addendum: Given rogue's info, if that's an adequate description, I find this new dating highly dubious.
              Last edited by Leonhard; 05-27-2014, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Rogue!

Um, Leo, Rogue's link is discussing an earlier effort, as near as I can tell. The article I cited specifically states they used samples taken in '88 - the same samples (presumably the spares or controls) that were used for the C-14.

I'd like to know exactly where the sample came from - there were big problems with the '88 sampling. I'm dubious of the '88 date - but if the sample came from the same area, I'm also dubious of this thing (if memory serves, there might be a sample from an undisputed area - but I can't swear to that).

Anyway, thanks, guys!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks, Rogue!

Um, Leo, Rogue's link is discussing an earlier effort, as near as I can tell. The article I cited specifically states they used samples taken in '88 - the same samples (presumably the spares or controls) that were used for the C-14.

I'd like to know exactly where the sample came from - there were big problems with the '88 sampling. I'm dubious of the '88 date - but if the sample came from the same area, I'm also dubious of this thing (if memory serves, there might be a sample from an undisputed area - but I can't swear to that).

Anyway, thanks, guys!
                  Rogue's link is the same effort. Check the dating on the article you linked. Also, the article you linked says where the samples came from:

The new test, by scientists at the University of Padua in northern Italy, used the same fibers from the 1988 tests but disputes the findings. The new examination dates the shroud to between 300 BC and 400 AD, which would put it in the era of Christ.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue's Wiki Link
                    collected through vacuuming by Riggi during the 1978 STURP tests
                    No, it isn't - they're talking about the '78 exam. And I said my article stated the samples were from '88.

Haven't had your coffee yet, huh?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Found this article concerning criticism of Fanti by Rinaldi (actually what appears to be a translation of note #17 mentioned in the Wiki entry):

Source: A Critical Review of Giulio Fanti’s New Book: Unreliable Results Because of Inadequacy of Methods

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

However, there's one thing tgat bothers me, and that's that tge Gospels seem to contradict this. Tgey list a seperate sheet for both his head, and body.
                        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                          However, there's one thing tgat bothers me, and that's that tge Gospels seem to contradict this. Tgey list a seperate sheet for both his head, and body.
                          There's an explanation for that - but that's another thread.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Considering the problematic issues with the history of the shroud, nature of the traditional shroud, and the image, does anyone actually believe the shroud is the genuine shroud of Jesus Christ?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Considering the problematic issues with the history of the shroud, nature of the traditional shroud, and the image, does anyone actually believe the shroud is the genuine shroud of Jesus Christ?
                              Considering that those issues have been addressed many do in fact believe it to be a First Century artifact - that being the case, Jesus' burial shroud would be the most likely explanation.

And that's a topic for another thread!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment