Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The US Catholic Bishops rejection of VAWA because of gay inclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US Catholic Bishops rejection of VAWA because of gay inclusion

This is old news but why did the Catholic bishops in the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops oppose the Violence Against Women Act because of the inclusion of sexual inclusion and gender identity? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...cs&ir=Politics I wouldn't think that helping people who were attacked, and live a sinful lifestyle would be against Catholic beliefs, it's not against Christian beliefs. I'm sure there's more to it than that, however that's how many people are thinking including lay Catholics. I don't really know a lot about the act.
    Last edited by Christy; 05-28-2014, 09:41 PM.

Could you post a link for reference?
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...cs&ir=Politics

Comment

The HuffPo article linked to in your link is probably a better source.

The concern seems to have revolved around provisions in the bill that would endanger federal funding of various Catholic charities.

Comment

Here's the article with the full statement in it:
          http://www.usccb.org/news/2013/13-046.cfm
          Last edited by Christy; 05-28-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

So there are 2 objections-- the one about funding, which I think is probably defensible, and the gender identity/orientation question. It seems as though (but I'm not by any means certain) that they saw it as validating the anthropological theory surrounding gender identity and sexual orientation.

Comment

What I don't get is why a Christian organization would think helping somebody in a sinful lifestyle as being against their conscience? How would helping somebody who was abused or a trafficking victim who's gay or transsexual be the same as condoning their lifestyle? It's not the same as refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding because the owners would think that if they did that they'd be celebrating something they see as sinful. Is the new part of the act saying that even saying being gay is a sin a form of violence?

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
                What I don't get is why a Christian organization would think helping somebody in a sinful lifestyle as being against their conscience? How would helping somebody who was abused or a trafficking victim who's gay or transsexual be the same as condoning their lifestyle? It's not the same as refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding because the owners would think that if they did that they'd be celebrating something they see as sinful. Is the new part of the act saying that even saying being gay is a sin a form of violence?
                How are you getting all of that from the article? I don't see any support for the premises of your questions in any of the articles.

Comment

The Senate’s decision to incorporate into S. 47 a title reauthorizing the Trafficking Victims Protection Act also raises concerns because this title omits language to protect the conscience rights of faith-based service providers to victims of human trafficking. We strongly supported efforts to include such provisions. Conscience protections are needed in this legislation to ensure that these service providers are not required to violate their bona fide religious beliefs as a condition for serving the needy. Failure to have conscience protection for such service providers undermines a long-held value in our democracy—religious liberty. Absent those protections, S. 47 fails to prevent discrimination against faith-based providers of care, such as the USCCB, which for years has provided exceptional service and care to such victims. In the end, the victims of human trafficking are harmed because organizations such as the USCCB are unable to render services that reach them and serve their human needs.
                  I may be reading this wrong.

Comment

It's referring to providing abortion referrals for rape victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      It's referring to providing abortion referrals for rape victims.
                      I thought that's what was meant after reading it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
                        I thought that's what was meant after reading it again.
                        Alright then. Any remaining questions?

Comment

I don't know

Comment

I've been wondering about the role of federal funding of Catholic charitable efforts. It can become not only a question of funding, but of licensing: if, in order to be allowed to provide these services, catholic organizations had to provide abortion referrals, etc, how should these organizations respond? By disbanding? By violating the law and continuing regardless? By obeying the law and forsaking their consciences? By totally secularizing their charitable functions?

Comment

By calling another Crusade.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment