Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What’s wrong with India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s wrong with India?

This sort of thing puts our petty arguments into perspective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-27639735
    “Two police officers in India have been sacked for refusing to help search for two missing girls who were later found gang-raped and hanged, authorities say.
    The girls, two cousins aged 14 and 16, went missing in Badaun district on Tuesday night. They had apparently gone out to relieve themselves as they had no toilet at home.
    Their bodies were discovered the following day. A post-mortem examination confirmed multiple sexual assaults and death due to hanging.”
    http://www.arabnews.com/news/462823
    “What has gone wrong with India then?

First and foremost is the endless Indian glorification of the male of the species and the inherent superiority it enjoys over women even before it comes into being. Women are a burden, an embarrassment.

Second, we have lost our moral compass as a nation and it’s time we faced it. There was a time when moral education was part of school syllabus and children got an early grounding in what is right and what is not. The focus was on inculcating honesty, integrity and morality, rather than producing robots trained to crack exams and score impossible grades.

Third, no concept of accountability and crime and punishment is left. Karma isn’t about paying for your deeds but how cleverly you beat the system. You see politicians get away with murder, often literally, and scams worth hundreds of millions of rupees. Someone who presided over the massacre of thousands of people is a pretender for the top job in the land. Men responsible for our security routinely gun down innocent men and women in the name of fighting terror and get away with it.

How do you then expect common criminals, rapists and murderers to fear the law? Is it any wonder women and the most vulnerable sections of society feel so insecure? If journalists in a metropolis like Mumbai aren’t safe, imagine the predicament of ordinary people.”
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

I've been following this trend for awhile in India and am astonished that this sort of behavior is still widely deemed acceptable anywhere.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You live in India, then, firstfloor? I visited there a year ago (Rajasthan and Gujarat), and I'd love to go back sometime.

But I did see enough to notice that there some big problems brewing there. I wonder if part of it is that the country is such a new (relatively speaking) democracy, and its experiencing the national equivalent of growing pains?
      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I've been following this trend for awhile in India and am astonished that this sort of behavior is still widely deemed acceptable anywhere.
        Why?

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
          But I did see enough to notice that there some big problems brewing there. I wonder if part of it is that the country is such a new (relatively speaking) democracy, and its experiencing the national equivalent of growing pains?
          They've had thousands of years of civilisation.

Comment

India definitely isn't as bad as most of the other nations surrounding it, but concern-trolling the police for lack of deference to feminist feeling is the worst current form of Western feminist cultural imperialism. If women are found gang-raped and hanged in your village, it's a pretty safe bet that it's because you sent in the police like an idiot when the Hindu mobs went out to slaughter Muslims in the past.

Comment

Epo, that made absolutely no sense.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Epo, that made absolutely no sense.
                When I find women gang-raped and killed, and the police with no leads and seeming complicity, the very first question I'm going to ask is: "Are there any Muslims in the vicinity?"

Yes, even in Africa. Especially in Africa, since that whole Boko Haram thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  They've had thousands of years of civilisation.
                  India's civilization went to the crapper a long, long time ago.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Didn't the British improve it?

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                      So are you saying that the subheading for every Indian gang-rape should be "Thanks, Gahndi!"

Comment

asking...wasn't India worse before the Brits?

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                          They improved it technologically somewhat and got rid of some of the nastier elements but the British motivation for colonizing was mostly to make money, not engage in large scale social engineering.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            They improved it technologically somewhat and got rid of some of the nastier elements but the British motivation for colonizing was mostly to make money, not engage in large scale social engineering.
                            Aka, economic rape of the civilization.

There are social aspects of India that are as in the toilet as the stuff people in poorer areas fling into the gutters (Huffington Post's "poo to the loo" story is spot on in some areas), but they are also open to a lot of the organizations that seek to help women who say have been abused or were human trafficking victims while other countries that struggle with strong human trafficking underbellies could learn a few things about dealing with a problem. In that respect, I view India as a country in transition, or at least in the midst of a social struggle between the old ways of male glorification and proper feminism.
                            Last edited by Ana Dragule; 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM.
                            I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
                              Aka, economic rape of the civilization.
                              The British paid the useful people better and India benefited as a whole seeing how their population started growing under the British.

Ahh, excuse me, I forgot I'm in Civics. This is much more suitable:

Cry me a river libtard.

Comment