PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Mercenaries (D&D 3.5e)



Carrikature
06-03-2014, 01:26 PM
The Companions of Strength and Honor are known for their hospitality. The wise take advantage of that fact when arriving in a new city. You're no exception. First things first: food then sleep. Food was a hearty stew with chunks of meat. Hopefully, it was beef. Thick slices of bread and mugs of beer completed the meal. It was a large room, but the fifty or so people eating at long tables made it feel cramped. The Companions ate with their guests, but that was no surprise.

After the meal, a gruff dwarf with just a hint of stubble on his face directs you and three other guests to your room. He informs you that you get two nights stay and two meals a day for free. He points out a tall human woman as the local recruiter should anyone be interested in joining. She's also the person to talk to if you wish to stay longer than the two nights. He warns you that staying longer requires you to help out in some manner, but that you can work out how with her. He quickly completes his spiel and moves on to the other guests.

It's a larger room than you expected, even if there's just enough space for a pair of bunk beds and a short bench. At least it's not communal barracks...


Welcome to Hargalond.

Carrikature
06-03-2014, 01:53 PM
[Er, you four are all in the same bunkroom.]

Spartacus
06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
A large half-orc claims one of the bottom bunks by tossing his backpack on it. He then sets a massive warhammer down on the ground before greeting his new roommates. "Ratzus. Slave to none save Jeul."

One Bad Pig
06-03-2014, 02:29 PM
A fashionably-dressed gnome quickly claims the other bottom bunk in similar fashion. "Greetings, Ratzus. My name's Calpurnius."

Pinoy
06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Nataer look at the bunk beds and notice the lower bed is already occupied. "Hello roommates, I am Nataer."

Nataer put his backpack at the top of half-or bed and as agile as cat push himself to the top bed.

"So are you a fighter too Ratzus, just like me?" Nataer asked?

Spartacus
06-04-2014, 05:44 AM
[He's a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas. He is... the most interesting half-orc in the world.]

"It's not just a hammer. It's a Holy Symbol."

Ben Zwycky
06-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Kevian gestured towards the last bunk and his leopard sprung up onto it and curled up on the blanket.

"The names's Kevian and this is my companion, Colin. If you don't mind my asking, what are your plans for your stay here?"

Spartacus
06-04-2014, 09:38 AM
"Pick up supplies and head north, unless the Companions have some use for me here."

Pinoy
06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
"What's up north? Are there caravan that needed a hand?" Nataer queried.

"I am looking to earn some gold, maybe the companion have some needs for people like me."

"Who would like to join me in talking to the woman pointed by the dwarf?" Nataer asked.

Spartacus
06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Ratzus shrugs. "I was going to talk to her anyway."

Ben Zwycky
06-04-2014, 11:35 PM
"Yes, it would only be right to see what use we can be here before setting off, to repay the kindness they have shown us. We shall also ccompany you."

Spartacus
06-05-2014, 10:05 AM
"You could join, you know," Ratzus says, pointing out the shield clasp on his cloak.

Carrikature
06-05-2014, 10:11 AM
[It's late. Just go to sleep and you can find her after breakfast. She'll be around. :smile:]

Pinoy
06-05-2014, 03:03 PM
"Ok let's look for her tomorrow. For tonight let's us rest, I had a long journey this morning" Nataer told his companion then went to sleep.

TimelessTheist
06-05-2014, 10:13 PM
[Dang, didn't know it was going to start yet. Ah well, I'll get the next game.]

Spartacus
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
[Irate Canadian is still building a character and will be joining us soon. If there's room for him, there's probably room for you. If you want to play, PM Carrik a sheet.]

Carrikature
06-06-2014, 06:09 AM
[Dang, didn't know it was going to start yet. Ah well, I'll get the next game.]

[Post in the exploratory thread (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?666-Exploratory-Thread-Mercenaries-(3-5e)/page47), or find us in the shoutbox. This thread is reserved for current players. :smile:]

Carrikature
06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
[If you're ready, let's move on.]

Spartacus
06-06-2014, 12:18 PM
[guess so.]

One Bad Pig
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
[yes - sorry, swamped at work the last couple days]

Carrikature
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
[yes - sorry, swamped at work the last couple days]

[No need to apologize. I just don't want us to bog down this early. :smile:]

Ben Zwycky
06-06-2014, 02:19 PM
[I guess we all go to sleep, then, and see what tasks are set before us in the morning?]

Carrikature
06-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Travel weariness overtakes you, and soon all in the room are fast asleep. The next sound you hear is that of a fist pounding on the door followed by a shout that breakfast is ready. Morning ablutions completed, you head out across the grounds to the hall where you ate the night before.

The Companions believe that the first meal sets the tone for the rest of the day. Thick slices of bacon and fluffy, golden biscuits are piled high on plates set out on the tables. Bowls filled with creamy gravy sit adjacent to the biscuits, and pitchers of chilled water cut with wine are waiting on the tables.

As you eat, you notice that the hall is not nearly as full as it had been last night. There are roughly two dozen men and women in their grey cloaks, but nearly all of the guests are missing. You see the woman you're looking for standing by the door. Those present eat their meals and disband; those in cloaks presumably heading off to their various tasks. The guests eat quickly and head for the door, ducking their head and hurrying out into the morning sunlight. The woman looks grim, and her frown deepens as each guest leaves without speaking to her. Before long, the four of you are the only guests left in the hall.

One Bad Pig
06-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Calpurnius approaches the woman after he finishes eating, and says, "Good day, m'lady. Thank you for your hospitality. Is there anything I or my companions can help you with in repayment?"

Pinoy
06-08-2014, 04:14 AM
When Nataer finishes eating approaches the woman as the same time as Calpurnius. But when Carpurnius was first to say something, Nataer did not continue what he is about to say instead he just listened.

Carrikature
06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Calpurnius:

The woman's eyebrows raise in surprise. "You...wish to help?" She looks you over appraisingly. "There's a matter you could help with, but it will take more than just you." She hesitates. "Your clothing probably won't survive, though."

Spartacus
06-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Ratzus steps in. "I can help."

One Bad Pig
06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Calpurnius:

The woman's eyebrows raise in surprise. "You...wish to help?" She looks you over appraisingly. "There's a matter you could help with, but it will take more than just you." She hesitates. "Your clothing probably won't survive, though."
"In that case, I'd better visit a local rag shop first. Can you recommend one?"

Carrikature
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Ratzus:
The woman faces Ratzus. "Well met, Shield Brother. I was hoping you would offer your services. What chapter do you hail from?"


Calpurnius:
"My clothing is provided by the Companions, so I don't really know," the woman replies. "The market square is in the northwest part of the city, though. The permanent shops are located south of that."

Spartacus
06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Ratzus:
The woman faces Ratzus. "Well met, Shield Brother. I was hoping you would offer your services. What chapter do you hail from?"

He salutes. "Bepool. I have extended leave for personal things."

Pinoy
06-09-2014, 09:46 PM
"I will help too", Nataer interjected.

Ben Zwycky
06-10-2014, 01:42 AM
"Colin and I will happily assist," adds Kevian. "What is it that needs to be done?"

Carrikature
06-11-2014, 06:27 AM
The woman nods her head in acceptance of Ratzus' answer. She looks over the four of you for a quick moment. "Well," she says at last, "I could have hoped there would be more of you, but this will have to do." She pauses briefly.

"Three weeks ago, a team was ordered to survey the surrounding area and suggest possibly locations for the establishment of a new waystation. The team consisted of three men and one woman and their retinue. They were due to report back last week, but there has been no sign of them. I can't afford to send any of my men and women to investigate. If you wish to help, please try and find them. Let me know whatever you find out so I can inform my superiors."

"I hesitate to ask this of you, especially since I have no idea of your particular skills. There's not much choice. I'll have to trust that Ratzus here is able to bring you back in one piece." She looks at Ratzus expectantly.

Spartacus
06-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Ratzus nods. "Find the survey team, bring everyone back alive. Where do we start looking?"

Carrikature
06-11-2014, 07:54 AM
"Follow the main road out of North Gate for about a day and a half. After that, head due west for about half a day. Their main camp should have been somewhere in that area." She glances at Kevian. "With luck, you might even be able to pick up their trail."

Spartacus
06-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Ratzus nods again. "I would leave now, but I have no rations for the journey." He looks at the rest of the group. "And you?"

One Bad Pig
06-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Ratzus nods again. "I would leave now, but I have no rations for the journey." He looks at the rest of the group. "And you?"
Calpurnius says, "I need to stop in the market in the northwest section of the city anyway to get some clothing. It shouldn't be too far from the gate, and you can probably find rations there."

Spartacus
06-11-2014, 11:23 AM
[gonna try to move this along...]

Ratzus nods again before looking back at the woman. "Is there anything else we ought to know before we go, hrm... my apologies, I cannot recall your name."

Carrikature
06-11-2014, 12:10 PM
"You may call me Sorin. It should go without saying to be careful, but...be careful. There's no telling what you might encounter in the jungle."

Ben Zwycky
06-12-2014, 04:05 AM
"Do you have any sample of their clothing or something with their scent on it? That will help with tracking if conventional means prove fruitless."

Pinoy
06-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Nataer listens intently and try to remember all information discussed.

Carrikature
06-12-2014, 08:17 AM
"Do you have any sample of their clothing or something with their scent on it? That will help with tracking if conventional means prove fruitless."

"I don't have anything like that, no. There were enough people that their trail shouldn't be completely obscured, though."

Ben Zwycky
06-13-2014, 04:15 AM
"Thank you. If there is nothing else, then let's head out."

Pinoy
06-13-2014, 06:03 AM
"Let's go"

"But first there are some of us who wanted to buy somethings, so i suggest we head to the store first"

Carrikature
06-13-2014, 12:11 PM
The woman wishes you good luck and leaves the hall. You collect your things and make your way to the marketplace.

[Who is buying what?]

One Bad Pig
06-13-2014, 12:30 PM
[Calpurnius is buying a set or two of clothing he can wear out in the bush.]

Spartacus
06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
[6 days trail rations, 30 sp. Bedroll, 1 sp. signal whistle, 8 sp Holy symbol, 1 gp (forgot to put that on my character sheet). Peasant's outfit (unless you want the half-orc to run around in just a breastplate and cloak), 1 sp. Total cost: 5 gp]

Ben Zwycky
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Kevian does a weather forecast:

survival: 2+15+2{above ground bonus due to knowledge(nature)}=19

Carrikature
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Kevian:

The sky looks clear, and you expect it to be sunny and hot until late tomorrow morning.

Pinoy
06-14-2014, 04:27 AM
[i will be buying arrows: normal 20 (1gp), cold iron 20 (2gp), adamantine 5 (300gp), silvered (40gp)]

Carrikature
06-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Purchases made, the you make your way out of the city, reaching the gates just before noon. A rough dirt road stretches away to the north, though it's much narrower than you would have expected. There doesn't seem to be any traffic on it all.

As you approach the gates, you are stopped by two male humans in worn steel breastplates. At their sides are strapped longswords, and a heavy steel shield is slung across their back. The man on the right steps in front of you. "Halt!" he says. "It is not safe to journey past the walls. Turn back."

Spartacus
06-17-2014, 10:01 AM
"The gates were open yesterday. What has changed?"

Carrikature
06-17-2014, 10:44 AM
[I think you would have come in from the south, but it doesn't matter. The gates are open right now, too, but the guards are just trying to keep you from going out.]


Ratzus:

The guard frowns at you disapprovingly before returning his attention to the other three. "Which of you owns this thing?"

Spartacus
06-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Ratzus growls as he adjusts the cloak so as to draw attention to the emblem of the Companions. "Jeul."

One Bad Pig
06-17-2014, 11:10 AM
"He is free to do as he pleases."

A weasel slips out the gate to see what's on the other side.

Pinoy
06-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Nataer approaches from the back of the group, and ask "Why is it dangerous to travel outside?"

Carrikature
06-19-2014, 08:29 PM
All:

The guard is clearly unimpressed by Ratzus' display, but he makes no further comment. He looks askance at Nataer's question. "Are you daft? It's the jungle. No telling what you'll encounter out there. And that's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the orcs'll...well, you get the idea."


Calpurnius:

Beyond the city gate, a dirt road leads away from the city in a northerly direction. To either side, all the trees within a thousand yards of the wall have been completely cleared away. Maintaining it is obviously an ongoing process. Beyond this stretch, the jungle grows unimpeded. It's difficult to see very far into the dense vegetation.

Nothing moves on the road ahead. There are no people in sight.

Spartacus
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
[oh no! the jungle! If only we had someone in our party who is attuned to nature, like a ranger or a druid!]

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Calpurnius shrugs. "We all got to the city without incident yesterday."

Spartacus
06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Ratzus takes a deliberate, deep breath and steps aside and back to let the rest of the party try to manage the negotiations.

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 06:09 AM
[oh no! the jungle! If only we had someone in our party who is attuned to nature, like a ranger or a druid!]

[:hehe:]

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Calpurnius:

The guard nods. "Yes, the southern roads are regularly patrolled. That keeps incidents down. The northern road is different, though. No one uses this road unless they're slavers. We can't guarantee your safety past this point."

One Bad Pig
06-20-2014, 06:44 AM
"Ah. Thank you for the warning, then. Unfortunately, we're trying to determine the whereabouts of a party that left this gate a couple weeks ago."

[Why is the marketplace near a gate that only slavers use? And we have a freedman, while exploring an area slavers frequent. :uhoh:]

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 07:13 AM
[Why is the marketplace near a gate that only slavers use?

[The city has three gates: one directly north, one on the southeast side and on on the southwest side. The quality goods and craftsmen are in permanent buildings on the southwest and west parts of town. Administrative facilities and the upper class neighborhoods are on the southeast side of town. The seedier neighborhoods are to the north. The slavers set up their market and slave housing facilities in the north and northeast. The marketplace in the northwest sells lower quality goods, and it serves the sort of clientele likely be in that part of the city.]



And we have a freedman, while exploring an area slavers frequent. :uhoh:]

[:yes: This campaign is going to be interesting, if I do say so myself.]

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Calpurnius:

The guard frowns. "You're looking for a group of slavers? Just the four of you?"

Spartacus
06-20-2014, 07:17 AM
[:yes: This campaign is going to be interesting, if I do say so myself.]

[you're welcome :smug: ]

One Bad Pig
06-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Calpurnius:

The guard frowns. "You're looking for a group of slavers? Just the four of you?"
[Where is the map? I can't find it. I'm having a hard time reconciling the guard's assertion that only slavers use the gate and the surveying mission north.]

"No, this was a small group of people as well."

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
[Where is the map? I can't find it. I'm having a hard time reconciling the guard's assertion that only slavers use the gate and the surveying mission north.]

[Reference thread is here (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?703-Mercenaries-Reference). World map is here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9nq9jy0pfnh5ge/Warvine.png). Basically, everything north of Hargalond is wild jungle, and beyond that is where the orc tribes are found.

The surveying mission is an anomaly. The guards you're dealing with may or may not have been aware of it, let alone present for its departure. If it's easier, I can just modify their statement to saying "almost no one uses it but slavers". :shrug:]


Calpurnius:

The guard looks at his partner. "Did you know about that?"

The second guard shakes his head. "No, but that doesn't mean much." He turns to address the group. "Be on your way, then. Don't expect anyone to come save you, though."

"And don't say we didn't warn you!" adds the first guard. He steps out of the way.

Pinoy
06-20-2014, 09:49 AM
"Thank you for the warning" natter said as he goes out of the gate.

Nataer noting that they are going to travel in "slaver's road" turned to his companions, "So what is our plan?"

"Are we going to travel on this "slavers road?"

"Or are going to walk in the jungle instead create our own road?"

Spartacus
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
[who will rescue the rescuers? The next set of PCs, obviously]

"We will make better time on the road. We should take the road and have a plan in case we run into trouble."

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 10:30 AM
[who will rescue the rescuers? The next set of PCs, obviously]

[Mercenaries 2.0 will be in 4th edition, too. :hehe:]

One Bad Pig
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
"We can probably assume that the surveyors stuck to the road unless they saw something off to the side they wanted to investigate. We should keep our eyes open for any disturbance to the side of the path, but they probably went at least a day's journey before seriously looking for a good spot for a way station."

Ben Zwycky
06-20-2014, 12:10 PM
"That is a sensible approach. Let us depart."

[Sorry for my absence guys, babies have been keeping me up at night, so I'm pretty much zombified most evenings now. That situation should improve soon, I hope.]

Pinoy
06-20-2014, 10:19 PM
"Ok let's go".

Ben Zwycky
06-22-2014, 12:52 PM
[Would I need to buy animal feed for my animal companion? If so, ten days worth for 1 sp or however much food for a leopard would cost. I assume we're not keeping track of weight?]

Carrikature
06-23-2014, 09:25 AM
[Would I need to buy animal feed for my animal companion? If so, ten days worth for 1 sp or however much food for a leopard would cost. I assume we're not keeping track of weight?]

[No.]

Ben Zwycky
06-25-2014, 03:12 AM
[Ok, so we're on our way, then?]

Pinoy
06-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Seeing his companions lingering a bit at the gate, Nataer ask, "Are we waiting for someone?"

Irate Canadian
01-19-2015, 02:15 PM
[Carrik, since you're back, mind coming back for these folk?]