Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

New to fishing, and getting my bait stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to fishing, and getting my bait stolen

I've decided to take up fishing as a hobby but I am brand new to it. So far, when fishing locally, I've been having trouble with having sunfish steal all my bait (the hooks I'm using are too large for them, as sunfish, naturally, are not my target). What are some ways I could get past this issue?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

You are fishing too close to the shore. What is your target? Bass?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I've decided to take up fishing as a hobby but I am brand new to it. So far, when fishing locally, I've been having trouble with having sunfish steal all my bait (the hooks I'm using are too large for them, as sunfish, naturally, are not my target). What are some ways I could get past this issue?
      Well, sounds like you are using live bait of some kind, try moving to an artificial kind. The Banjo Minnow is pretty good in my experience anyway. Although if you go too small you will get bluegill/sunfish etc.

Oh, and you could try moving to a somewhat smaller hook, this way, you can still get the excitement of reeling in the little guys while you wait for the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        You are fishing too close to the shore. What is your target? Bass?
        Catfish.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Catfish.
          I hear that chicken livers dipped in cherry Kool-Aid is great for them.

Try fishing deep, if you(like me) need to use a float/bobber(can't tell when I'me getting a bite otherwise ), then it might be good to get a decently heavy one. They tend to cast a bit further. If you know how to fish on the bottom without one, that might work better.

ETA: You can always try noodling too, that way you ARE the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

ETA: You can always try noodling too, that way you ARE the bait.

I was going to suggest that!

Couple of things:

1) be careful about using the smaller hooks. It can tear through the mouth of the larger fish, and you end up with no bait again.
            2) Catfish like denser bait. Chicken gizzards work great and the sunfish and bluegills can't tear it apart as easily. Squid works good too, but they can tear some off if it is too thin. Artificial baits like Berkley PowerBait Catfish Chunks serve the same purpose
            3) Catfish prefer live bait to dead. While nightcrawlers are a preferred food, things like frog legs and crayfish are super baits that the smaller fish will not touch.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If you want to catch catfish you have to use mice as bait.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  You don't like catfish?
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    If you want to catch catfish you have to use mice as bait.
                    Mice don't last long under water.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      You don't like catfish?
                      I used to see catfish as a poor substitute for other sorts of fish when it came to dining. That was until one of my brother's friends opened up a restaurant. His was so good that I stopped ordering shrimp and would get a double order of catfish.

Unfortunately for whatever reason he thought that he didn't need to pay payroll taxes and the IRS shut him down

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I used to see catfish as a poor substitute for other sorts of fish when it came to dining. That was until one of my brother's friends opened up a restaurant. His was so good that I stopped ordering shrimp and would get a double order of catfish.

Unfortunately for whatever reason he thought that he didn't need to pay payroll taxes and the IRS shut him down
                        Catfish sammiches with slaw and a side of hushpuppies...
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Mice don't last long under water.
                          rogue tech can take care of that problem

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Catfish sammiches with slaw and a side of hushpuppies...
                            Yeah his hushpuppies were also the best I ever had. I would stop by after work about once a week and get 20 or 30 in a to go order to eat with other meals.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              rogue tech can take care of that problem

And the tail and legs being exposed to the water allows the catfish to smell the scent of the mouse. Genius!! +1
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X