Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins weighs in against reading fairy stories to children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Dawkins weighs in against reading fairy stories to children

I'll give him credit, he's consistent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...d-Dawkins.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Yes a consistent idiot.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He's now denying he meant that:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/0...are-wonderful/
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

‘Struth! Come on Dick, get a grip.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

What a killjoy. Fiction is fun! Is he against fiction and poetry to? Art? Music? Anything that isn't hard science?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            What a killjoy. Fiction is fun! Is he against fiction and poetry to? Art? Music? Anything that isn't hard science?
            I can picture him going through his library with a black magic marker removing everything in the books that wasn't strictly scientifically possible before allowing his children to read it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Backpedaling? This is the guy that thinks religion=insanity right?

Comment

It'd not really surprise me if he was severely taken out of context. I have no idea if he was or not. A minor quibble with what's quoted: “Even fairy tales, the ones we all love, with wizards or princesses turning into frogs or whatever it was. There’s a very interesting reason why a prince could not turn into a frog – it's statistically too improbable.” Surely he'd not suggest that statistical improbability in any way implies impossibility.

On the flip side, when I told my sister that my wife and I were no longer Christians, she was very worried about my daughter. She insisted that we let my daughter believe in magic if she wants to, or something pretty close to that effect. I still think that's a pretty dumb response. I've read and enjoyed fantasy and sci-fi for much of my life, but not one bit of that requires believing magic is real. I'd much rather show my daughter the very real wonders in the world as it is. It's completely possible to stimulate and encourage imagination without bringing into it a claim of reality.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Backpedaling? This is the guy that thinks religion=insanity right?
                  The more I read the first link, the less I think this is backpedaling. The second link with the explanation is pretty consistent with what's actually quoted in the first one. That is, there's a difference between saying "fiction is harmful" and saying "fiction can bring with it beliefs in things that don't exist, and that would be harmful".
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

from the second article:

Source: Tom Watson

The former Labour minister Tom Watson described him on Twitter as “soulless bore”.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Well, Dawkins doesn't believe he has a soul so...

Comment

Well, Dawkins doesn't believe he has a soul so...

He is just another meat puppet!
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          He is just another meat puppet!
                          And why should some hairless primate have anything rational to say? It's just about survival in that worldview, right?

Comment

And why should some hairless primate have anything rational to say? It's just about survival in that worldview, right?
                            No, it's not just about survival. And it's not as if our origins preclude rational thought...
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              No, it's not just about survival. And it's not as if our origins preclude rational thought...
                              How would we know if we were really rational? Or if we just thought we were?

Comment