Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Sissy Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sissy Soldiers

There's a scene in the movie Patton, where General Patton slaps a couple of soldiers in the face with his gloves. It was in Sicily in August of 1943, and Patton was angered by two young men who were being evacuated to the States, far from the enemy line, with no apparent physical injuries.

At first, this was suppressed in the news, but General Eisenhower found out about it, he demanded Patton apologize to the men, and Patton's brilliant military career was at risk.

(I fully expect to be lectured about the realities of battle fatigue and PTSD and all that, but that's OK)

Sometimes, as a Pastor, I feel like Patton. Sometimes, I just want to slap the fire out of SISSY CHRISTIANS who whine and cry because something didn't turn out the way they thought it should, or because somebody was a big old meanie, or because they aren't "blessed" with the finances to buy a 72 inch flat panel or a new car.

I read Paul's instruction to Timothy to "be a good soldier" and to endure and persevere, to be tough... and I wonder if Paul saw SISSY CHRISTIANS, too.

More than ever, I'm seeing young Christians whine and cry about the silliest things, and use excuses not to be faithful, and get their little feelings hurt over the dumbest things -- and I just want to slap the fire out of them. And, yeah, I have to remember the Love of Christ, and my role as PASTOR, and I need to love and encourage, and all that.

But in the back of my head, one of those "hymns of my youth" comes to mind....

Am I a soldier of the cross,
    A follower of the Lamb,
    And shall I fear to own His cause,
    Or blush to speak His Name?

Must I be carried to the skies
    On flowery beds of ease,
    While others fought to win the prize,
    And sailed through bloody seas?

Are there no foes for me to face?
    Must I not stem the flood?
    Is this vile world a friend to grace,
    To help me on to God?

Sure I must fight if I would reign;
    Increase my courage, Lord.
    I’ll bear the toil, endure the pain,
    Supported by Thy Word.

Thy saints in all this glorious war
    Shall conquer, though they die;
    They see the triumph from afar,
    By faith’s discerning eye.

I think of Christians all over the world -- most currently the Coptic Christians in Egypt -- who truly endure hardship and persecution, and somehow the whining and snibbling of Sissy Christians seems so downright pathetic.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, ye Soldiers of the Cross!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X