Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Theocracy and Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Theocracy and Decline

How Christianity owns American culture and is successfully building an American Theocracy is described in this wonderful speech from 1972.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflQd...ukTekgSRZrjadw
    See how much has already been lost. With theocracy comes intolerance and decline. It is time for American atheists to stand up and be counted and take back their country from the theocrats.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    See how much has already been lost. With theocracy comes intolerance and decline. It is time for American atheists to stand up and be counted and take back their country from the theocrats.
    You mean the country that was founded on this principle:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"Take back their country from the theocrats"? Maybe you mean atheist Indians. Nah, that can't be.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Your paranoia is always amusing to read about, FF.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

How Christianity owns American culture and is successfully building an American Theocracy is described in this wonderful speech from 1972.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflQd...ukTekgSRZrjadw
          Actually, the idea of trying to hyper micro-manage society, which is predominantly expressed the most from liberal ideology (i.e. gun control, speech control, food control, economic control, etc.), is a sure sign of the fall of society. When you have anti-God groups dictating what a Christian owner can do with his business, or what a Christian owner can say in public without being ousted from his business, that isn't a sign of any theocratic control on society, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            (speech control, food control, economic control, etc.
            Conservatives want these things too.

or what a Christian owner can say in public without being ousted from his business
            That's the free market.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              That's the free market.
              Nope, this is not the free market: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...iberal-Fascism
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                I thought that was covered by "When you have anti-God groups dictating what a Christian owner can do with his business".

Comment

I do love how the things liberals rail against the most are usually the things that are the key to defeating them. I move for a theocratic patriarchy specifically focused on restricting women's choices once the liberal state is finished exhausting and murdering itself.

Comment

With theocracy comes intolerance and decline.
                    Yeah, you and your ilk are incredibly tolerant.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Conservatives want these things too.

That's the free market.
                      Nice editing of my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, you and your ilk are incredibly tolerant.
                        They love telling everyone how tolerant they are and everyone else should be. What gets left out is by being tolerant they too often mean anything that they agree with.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course, when I say theocracy I mean Christian theocracy. In a town or society where everyone has to pretend to be Christian just to get a job the faith itself becomes polluted and in the effort to maintain standards the leadership has to become increasingly authoritarian.
                          American theocracy is gathering strength – 5th May 2014. U.S. Supreme Court Ruling regarding town of Greece in New York State: (Although the ruling referred only to legislative prayer, it could give a boost to government officials seeking to promote religion in public life in other contexts, such as sectarian religious displays in civic buildings.
                          Erwin Chemerinsky, a professor at the University of California, Irvine School of Law, who filed a brief opposing the Greece prayers, said the ruling "certainly reflects five justices who want to allow much more of a religious presence in government and government support for religion.")
                          It is dangerous because religion is both intolerant and anti-intellectual. The histories of empires show that they succeed while they are tolerant and decline when they are not because they fail to go on attracting the brightest and best talent from around the world.

The following is an extract from this article.
                          http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...ct-christians/

We don’t need to limit or restrict the verbiage of any prayer offered publically so as to homogenize the religious intent behind the prayer. We need only pursue fundamental American respect for all peaceful religious beliefs by making all religious points of view, and expressions of the same, available.
                          In this case, by adding any spiritual leader from any and every religion who wished to offer the occasional invocation at the opening of town board meetings in Greece into the rotation, would we not be honoring both the Constitution and the religious beliefs and freedoms of the town population?
                          According to some television and radio pundits, the answer would be “no” given the number of these folks who, following the Court’s decision yesterday, were declaring SCOTUS’ ruling to be “a rare victory for God”.
                          Really?
                          What these folks were really saying—and what they were really celebrating—was the fact that they believed the decision to be a victory for Christianity as opposed to other religions and, therefore, a victory for God.
                          Does it get any more unAmerican than that?
                          The Constitution does not pick one religion over another as a ‘victor’ nor does it suggest that we are permitted to do so.
                          And while I would never presume to know what God believes to be a personal victory or loss, I do know that our Constitution and our country is all about respect for all religions practiced peacefully—and not only for the prevalent religion, whatever that religion may be.
                          Of course, one cannot be surprised that so many would see the world in these terms when, on the same day as the SCOTUS decision was handed down, we learned that the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court—let me write that again for emphasis, the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court— believes that the First Amendment is applicable only to Christians.
                          Yes, he really said that.

According to Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, the First Amendment applies only to Christians because, “Buddha didn’t create us, Mohammed didn’t create us, it was the God of the Holy Scriptures” who created us.
                          Never mind the right of other religions to have different ideas on this subject per the United States Constitution—you know, the document the Chief Justice swore to honour and uphold when he was installed into his position.
                          The stupidity of Moore’s statement could never be fully explored within the context of one article such as this and I offer my sympathies to the people of Alabama who must be—or certainly should be—mortified by the remarks made by their state’s top legal official.
                          However, when we see one of the top elected judicial officials in America (being the Chief Justice of any state’s Supreme Court is pretty big stuff) stating that the First Amendment only provides its protections to Christians, is it any wonder that the leaders in Greece, New York were unable to figure out that respect for all of its citizens required something more than only having Christian spiritual leaders offering up the invocations?
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            They love telling everyone how tolerant they are and everyone else should be. What gets left out is by being tolerant they too often mean anything that they agree with.
                            Yeah!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course, when I say theocracy I mean Christian theocracy. In a town or society where everyone has to pretend to be Christian just to get a job the faith itself becomes polluted and in the effort to maintain standards the leadership has to become increasingly authoritarian.
                              American theocracy is gathering strength – 5th May 2014. U.S. Supreme Court Ruling regarding town of Greece in New York State: (Although the ruling referred only to legislative prayer, it could give a boost to government officials seeking to promote religion in public life in other contexts, such as sectarian religious displays in civic buildings.
                              Erwin Chemerinsky, a professor at the University of California, Irvine School of Law, who filed a brief opposing the Greece prayers, said the ruling "certainly reflects five justices who want to allow much more of a religious presence in government and government support for religion.")
                              It is dangerous because religion is both intolerant and anti-intellectual. The histories of empires show that they succeed while they are tolerant and decline when they are not because they fail to go on attracting the brightest and best talent from around the world.
                              This is complete nonsense FF. For the vast majority of our history the Christian faith was much more prominent than it is today. In my state stores could not open on the Sabbath (blue laws). I can personally remember teacher led prayers in the class room. And in all these years we were still attracting the brightest and best from around the world and we were the world center of innovation. Mr. Chemerinsky is an idiot.

Comment