PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Xyr?

seer
06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
I mean how do you even pronounce Xyr?

ANCOUVER -- Grammar teachers may need to amend their lesson plans after the Vancouver school board approved Monday a policy change that welcomes a brand-new string of pronouns into Vancouver public schools: “xe, xem, and xyr.”

The pronouns are touted as alternatives to he/she, him/her, and his/hers, and come as last-minute amendments to the board’s new policy aimed at better accommodating transgender students in schools.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Vancouver+school+board+approves+policy+addressing+ transgender/9945194/story.html?__federated=1

Bill the Cat
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Probably "Zuhr". Sounds more German than French... :nsm:

Carrikature
06-18-2014, 01:10 PM

I definitely prefer the 'z' (ze, zir, zem) versions over the 'x', but that's probably because of my general aversion to x's at the beginning of words. :shrug:

seer
06-18-2014, 01:11 PM

So let me get this straight, when the Islamo-fascists come knocking we are going to send out a battalion of Xyrs to meet them?

Bill the Cat
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM
So let me get this straight, when the Islamo-fascists come knocking we are going to send out a battalion of Xyrs to meet them?

No. Just a few Abrams tanks. :hehe:

Darth Executor
06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
No. Just a few gay parade floats. :hehe:

Fixed.

Cow Poke
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Nuke 'em. And let their god sort them out.
:outtie:

seer
06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
No. Just a few Abrams tanks. :hehe:

I am an old tanker - who is going to crew them? Xems?

Jedidiah
06-18-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm ag'in it. I won't be using them.

Cow Poke
06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
I definitely prefer the 'z' (ze, zir, zem) versions over the 'x', but that's probably because of my general aversion to x's at the beginning of words. :shrug:

It's them Canadiacans, again! They had to shorten the pronouns to make room for all the "Cafe and Bake Shop" extensions!

seer
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I mean really guys where is all this going? What is the end game? Why is this happening?

Teallaura
06-18-2014, 02:10 PM
:argh: The end is near...

Zymologist
06-18-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure a Xyr is an alien from some sci-fi somewhere.

Zymologist
06-18-2014, 02:16 PM
From now on, I demand that you all refer to me not as "he", "him", or any other obsolete and oppressive patriarchal pronoun. I prefer to be referred to as a "gloog".

seer
06-18-2014, 02:19 PM
From now on, I demand that you all refer to me not as "he", "him", or any other obsolete and oppressive patriarchal pronoun. I prefer to be referred to as a "gloog".

Great, now how do I pronounce that ! :rant:

Carrikature
06-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Done and done. You will come to regret this demand.

Zymologist
06-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Done and done. You will come to regret this demand.

:lol:

Oh, man...what have I done?

Teallaura
06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Great, now how do I pronounce that ! :rant:You don't silly - just type it.

Besides, he just named himself after one of the Herculoids... :haha: Gloop and Gleep's cousin Gloog...

Zymologist
06-18-2014, 03:00 PM
I fear my comment may have gotten more attention than I wanted it to.... :shocked:

Carrikature
06-18-2014, 03:01 PM
:lol:

Oh, man...what have I done?

As in all things, gloog, only time will tell. :grin:

Jedidiah
06-18-2014, 05:52 PM

I request a name change for the no longer "Zymologist" to the now "gloog."

KingsGambit
06-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I remember a teacher in high school who (tongue firmly in cheek) would say, you can't say human because it has "man", you can't say person because it says "son"...

Epoetker
06-19-2014, 04:40 AM
I mean really guys where is all this going? What is the end game? Why is this happening?

You should have figured that out already. (http://kakistocracyblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/replacing-you-is-job-one/) If celebration of homosexuality was the prelude to it becoming encouraged, the celebration of self-mutilation at the most fundamental natural level of identity is the next logical step in the reduction of humans to having absolutely no value outside of being "productive" units.

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 05:09 AM

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061116213323/yugioh/images/3/3f/XY-DragonCannonDR1-EN-R-UE.jpg

seer
06-19-2014, 05:17 AM
You should have figured that out already. (http://kakistocracyblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/replacing-you-is-job-one/) If celebration of homosexuality was the prelude to it becoming encouraged, the celebration of self-mutilation at the most fundamental natural level of identity is the next logical step in the reduction of humans to having absolutely no value outside of being "productive" units.

Scary...

Sparko
06-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I mean how do you even pronounce Xyr?

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Vancouver+school+board+approves+policy+addressing+ transgender/9945194/story.html?__federated=1

http://www.thehanoa.org/css_pirobox/white/facepalm-picard-gif-i4.jpg

Carrikature
06-19-2014, 07:06 AM
I remember a teacher in high school who (tongue firmly in cheek) would say, you can't say human because it has "man", you can't say person because it says "son"...

I had teachers in middle school that told us we can know history is about God because it's HIStory.

And they were serious.

:doh:

Sparko
06-19-2014, 07:14 AM
The funny thing is, these pronouns actually perpetuate the idea that transgenders are neither male or female. If the school board had voted to use the pronoun "it" the LGBT community would be having a fit. But they don't realize that these pronouns are basically saying the same thing. Ironic.

seer
06-19-2014, 07:20 AM
The funny thing is, these pronouns actually perpetuate the idea that transgenders are neither male or female. If the school board had voted to use the pronoun "it" the LGBT community would be having a fit. But they don't realize that these pronouns are basically saying the same thing. Ironic.

You know that is a good point, what exactly is the difference between an "it" and a "xyr?"

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 07:34 AM
You know that is a good point, what exactly is the difference between an "it" and a "xyr?"

An "it" can't destroy one spell or trap card or deal 2200 ATK damage... :hehe:

Chrawnus
06-19-2014, 08:03 AM
An "it" can't destroy one spell or trap card or deal 2200 ATK damage... :hehe:

:rofl:

Teallaura
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
:hehe:

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 10:47 AM
One is possessive; the other is not.

seer
06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
One is possessive; the other is not.

How would you know that?

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 11:17 AM
How would you know that?

Grammar teachers may need to amend their lesson plans after the Vancouver school board approved Monday a policy change that welcomes a brand-new string of pronouns into Vancouver public schools: “xe, xem, and xyr.”

The pronouns are touted as alternatives to he/she, him/her, and his/hers. . . .

Emphasis added.

Teallaura
06-19-2014, 12:35 PM
And rephrasing Sparky's question for Smarty Pants: 'what is the difference between 'its' and 'xyr'?

:no:

Cerebrum123
06-19-2014, 12:37 PM

You can get that done here. (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?2461-Name-changes)

KingsGambit
06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't think "xyr" and "it" are essentially the same thing. One is blatantly dehumanizing. The other is a neologism.

Sparko
06-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't think "xyr" and "it" are essentially the same thing. One is blatantly dehumanizing. The other is a neologism.

But it still denies a gender to those it is applied to. Transgenders want to be known as the gender that they have chosen to live as, not as some in-between indeterminate gender. So it seems to me that these new pronouns deny them what they want.

"it" is "no Gender"
Xyr is "neither Gender"

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
And rephrasing Sparky's question for Smarty Pants: 'what is the difference between 'its' and 'xyr'?

:no:
One is a word I recognize. The other is a small symptom of the decline of Western civilization.

I just think, that if one is going to criticize something, it helps to read for understanding first. That way nonsensical questions like the thread's subject line are less likely to be asked.

Psychic Missile
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
But it still denies a gender to those it is applied to. Transgenders want to be known as the gender that they have chosen to live as, not as some in-between indeterminate gender. So it seems to me that these new pronouns deny them what they want.

"it" is "no Gender"
Xyr is "neither Gender"

Alternate pronouns are desired by individuals who don't identify as either male or female.

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Alternate pronouns are desired by individuals who don't identify as either male or female.

Individuals who don't identify as either male or female need psychiatric help, not sympathy with their delusion.

Sparko
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Alternate pronouns are desired by individuals who don't identify as either male or female.they wouldn't be TRANSgender then would they? They would be androgynous.

Psychic Missile
06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Individuals who don't identify as either male or female need psychiatric help, not sympathy with their delusion.

Psychiatric help exists for when your mentality causes harm to yourself or others or you wish to change something about yourself, not because others decide you don't fit in. That's fascism.

they wouldn't be TRANSgender then would they? They would be androgynous.

That's how I understand it.

Sparko
06-19-2014, 02:44 PM
That's how I understand it.

Then the board is wrong in wanting to call transgenders by these new pronouns.

Psychic Missile
06-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Then the board is wrong in wanting to call transgenders by these new pronouns.

I reread the article in the OP and I didn't see anything like that in there. Could you point it out, or is it from another article on the issue?

Sparko
06-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I reread the article in the OP and I didn't see anything like that in there. Could you point it out, or is it from another article on the issue?

really? it is rigt there in the op quote

ANCOUVER -- Grammar teachers may need to amend their lesson plans after the Vancouver school board approved Monday a policy change that welcomes a brand-new string of pronouns into Vancouver public schools: “xe, xem, and xyr.”

The pronouns are touted as alternatives to he/she, him/her, and his/hers, and come as last-minute amendments to the board’s new policy aimed at better accommodating transgender students in schools.

Teallaura
06-19-2014, 06:01 PM
One is a word I recognize. The other is a small symptom of the decline of Western civilization.

I just think, that if one is going to criticize something, it helps to read for understanding first. That way nonsensical questions like the thread's subject line are less likely to be asked.Grammar nazi. :tongue:

Besides, if the question had been 'what is a 'xe' ', besides still sounding weird, you get sarcastic answers about xenon...

:shrug:

Cow Poke
06-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Grammar nazi. :tongue:

Besides, if the question had been 'what is a 'xe' ', besides still sounding weird, you get sarcastic answers about xenon...

:shrug:

You mean HER?!?!?!

KingsGambit
06-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Hey now, xenon is perfectly noble.

:outtie:

Psychic Missile
06-19-2014, 06:40 PM
really? it is rigt there in the op quote

It sounds like it's an option and not a new blanket designation, which is how I understood your objection. I don't know if that's the website's doing, the school's doing, or if nonbinary people call themselves transgendered.

One Bad Pig
06-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Psychiatric help exists for when your mentality causes harm to yourself or others or you wish to change something about yourself, not because others decide you don't fit in. That's fascism.
Is mental anguish "harm"? Do "transgenders" wish to change something about themselves?

Teallaura
06-19-2014, 07:15 PM
You mean HER?!?!?!

That's Xena. Xenon is her gassy brother... Okay, as KG noted, her noble, gassy brother...

Sparko
06-20-2014, 05:15 AM
It sounds like it's an option and not a new blanket designation, which is how I understood your objection. I don't know if that's the website's doing, the school's doing, or if nonbinary people call themselves transgendered.:doh:

Cow Poke
06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
This thread is dumb. I'm unperspiring!

Teallaura
06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
This thread is dumb. I'm unperspiring!

Well, do it somewhere else! :glare:

Sparko
06-20-2014, 07:42 AM
This thread is dumb. I'm unperspiring!That's unpossible.

Cow Poke
06-20-2014, 08:54 AM
That's unpossible.

Don't sweat it!

Sparko
06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Don't sweat it!Shouldn't that be don't sweat xyt?

Teallaura
06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Shouldn't that be don't sweat xyt?

You need acne cream again? :huh:

Psychic Missile
06-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Is mental anguish "harm"? Do "transgenders" wish to change something about themselves?

People who identify as both or neither gender typically express it through clothing and make up (or lack thereof).

Sparko
06-20-2014, 10:30 AM
You need acne cream again? :huh:
Xou are not funny.

Teallaura
06-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Xam, too! :teeth:

Sparko
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Xam, too! :teeth:You Xork.

Teallaura
06-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Xweeb! :tongue:

Sparko
06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Xweeb! :tongue:Xylophone!

One Bad Pig
06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
People who identify as both or neither gender typically express it through clothing and make up (or lack thereof).
IOW they want to change how they look (or are perceived) strongly enough that they're willing to go against deeply rooted cultural norms.

Carrikature
06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
IOW they want to change how they look (or are perceived) strongly enough that they're willing to go against deeply rooted cultural norms.

I don't know very many people who are happy being put into a category that doesn't describe them. The same is true when a group of people doesn't feel another group should possess the same classification. Multiply that impact whenever the category in question is supposed to point towards a central position or aspect of the person. The source of the classification/category doesn't really matter in such a case.

Besides, it's not as if being "deeply rooted" is some how an indicator of validity.

Bill the Cat
06-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't know very many people who are happy being put into a category that doesn't describe them.

Why do they care what label someone else puts on them? :nsm:

One Bad Pig
06-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I don't know very many people who are happy being put into a category that doesn't describe them.
We're talking about males and females who are NOT happy about being put into a category that DOES describe them.

Besides, it's not as if being "deeply rooted" is some how an indicator of validity.
Which is not why I brought it up.

Psychic Missile
06-20-2014, 04:56 PM

Sure.

Epoetker
06-21-2014, 01:03 AM
I don't know very many people who are happy being put into a category that doesn't describe them. The same is true when a group of people doesn't feel another group should possess the same classification. Multiply that impact whenever the category in question is supposed to point towards a central position or aspect of the person. The source of the classification/category doesn't really matter in such a case.

Most normal categories are aspirational rather than descriptive in any case. Boys develop into men, gays very rarely develop anything more than more refined forms of hedonism and parasitism, and this awareness among them is one of the reasons their suicide rates are so high. One does not respect the sick, even the chronically sick, by categorizing them, and universalizing their particular weakness, and drawing undue attention to their most discreditable feature at the time, and making that the defining feature of their identity. Those who insist on doing so have much judgment ahead.