PDA

View Full Version : What were the waters?

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 06:41 AM
1 Nep 11:25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

Later he says

1 Nep 15:26 And they said unto me: What meaneth the river of water which our father saw?
1 Nep 15:27 And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.

Cerealman
06-19-2014, 07:56 AM
I think I see what you're getting at,but the older versions of English always trip me up sometimes.

Quantum Weirdness
06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Context for each passage???

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Context for each passage???

They are both describing the same vision Nephi's father supposedly had. In GREAT detail.

NRA-Jeff
06-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Interesting observation. Did you make this discovery on your own? Recently?

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Interesting observation. Did you make this discovery on your own? Recently?

Thanks. Yes. No. I was going over an old document I had from a lengthy response to Coyotl that I do not recall was answered, so I thought I'd post it here to get some feedback and a response.

seven7up
06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
1 Nep 11:25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

Later he says

1 Nep 15:26 And they said unto me: What meaneth the river of water which our father saw?
1 Nep 15:27 And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.

There are actually two bodies of water described in Lehi's dream (although most artistic depictions of the dream use the "tree of life" in the imagery instead of the parallel "fountain of living water" which both represent the love of God.

Anyways, there are two "waters" referred to: 1) a river of filthy water that represents the depths of hell and 2) a fountain of living waters that represents the love of God (see 1 Nephi 12:16; 1 Nephi 11:36).

The river was not yet identified as "filthy" in 1 Nephi 8:13, 17, 19, 26 , but that is what it was referring to according to the context.

The teaching to glean from this is that there is a fountain of pure and true living water, but then there is a deceptive alternative form of water which is filthy and impure.

-7up

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 04:42 PM
There are actually two bodies of water described in Lehi's dream (although most artistic depictions of the dream use the "tree of life" in the imagery instead of the parallel "fountain of living water" which both represent the love of God.

Anyways, there are two "waters" referred to: 1) a river of filthy water that represents the depths of hell and 2) a fountain of living waters that represents the love of God (see 1 Nephi 12:16; 1 Nephi 11:36).

The river was not yet identified as "filthy" in 1 Nephi 8:13, 17, 19, 26 , but that is what it was referring to according to the context.

The teaching to glean from this is that there is a fountain of pure and true living water, but then there is a deceptive alternative form of water which is filthy and impure.

-7up

I don't see the first reference to the "river of filthiness". I see only one river mentioned. not two. Could you show me where the vision said there were 2 rivers?