PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Zymologist
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
So...beer. I like it.

Discuss.

One Bad Pig
01-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Any one try Sam Adams Utopias? $199/bottle (and 28% abv :egad:)

Soyeong
01-22-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i3qeErUaFo

Cow Poke
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM
I quit drinking beer when I was legally old enough to start. :shrug:

KingsGambit
01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I may have established this at the other place, but my favorite is Wheat State Golden from Free State Brewery in Kansas.

Soyeong
01-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Amen CP.

Chaotic Void
01-22-2014, 01:55 PM
As I said in the last thread, my rule of thumb is either Guinness, Alexander Keith's Red Amber, or Rickard's Red/Dark. Of course, I can't go wrong with Crabbie's Ginger Beer or a Magner's Irish Cider if I'm wanting something sweeter.

As a treat, I've been known to experiment with the odd individual beer at the Liquor Board Store. I bought a bottle of La Chouffe the other day. Quite tasty.

Zymologist
01-22-2014, 02:02 PM
I understand those who don't partake, and I respect it. I've found that developing a taste for beer has simultaneously matured my taste for food in general (I'm less picky now) and cut down on my tolerance for sweet stuff--both of which are good things. I used to drink a ton of soda (which has no nutritional value whatsoever), and have since given it up almost completely in favor of beer (which I drink less of and feel much healthier for).

Since I'm careful to drink in moderation, I think I'm better off physically now than I was, say, a year ago.

As for my favorites, I don't really have anything in particular. I seem to like pretty much everything, provided it's a microbrew.

One Bad Pig
01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
I can't go wrong with Crabbie's Ginger Beer
Try adding a shot or two of Appleton Estates or other rum. :yummy:

As a treat, I've been known to experiment with the odd individual beer at the Liquor Board Store. I bought a bottle of La Chouffe the other day. Quite tasty.
There's a store relatively close that has hundreds of different beers on sale (you can even buy individual 12-oz beers).

Some recent favorites:

Avery Hog Heaven
Yards George Washington Porter
Yards Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale
He'brew Rejewvenator
Sierra Nevada's Narwhal Imperial Stout

shunyadragon
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Same here!

supton
01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Sam Adams is the about only beer I drink. Unless if someone else is buying. Then I'm not so picky.

One Bad Pig
01-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Eh, Sam Adams is okay. If I'm going for cheap but still decent, I'll have a Yuengling. Right now, I'm having a Mission Russian Imperial Stout, which is the darkest beer I've ever seen, and pours like motor oil. Tasty though.

supton
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
More than about a buck per drink is too rich for my blood. I'm finding that less than that and it's not really worth it though. Some of the cheap white wines are good though.

Jedidiah
01-22-2014, 06:20 PM

I have never completely quit, but I do indulge rarely. One thing - I never want to be drunk again.

One Bad Pig
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
I have never completely quit, but I do indulge rarely. One thing - I never want to be drunk again.

Yeah, getting drunk is way over-rated.

Zymologist
01-22-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm happy to say that I've never been drunk.

T-Shirt Ninja
01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I've gotten quite tipsy by accident and didn't enjoy it. I like the relaxation alcohol gives me but I agree with OBP that drunkenness is overrated.

Chaotic Void
01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Count me in on the, "Drunkenness is Overrated," bandwagon. I've been drunk before... I don't see why people think it's so awesome.

supton
01-23-2014, 05:35 AM
I gave up on all hard liquer after a gin hangover. Didn't realize how much I had. Now I prefer to stay with the light stuff. A couple of drinks to unwind at the end of the day is about all I care for. There's also way too many calories in there to be good for the ole waistline.

GoBahnsen
01-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Eh, Sam Adams is okay. If I'm going for cheap but still decent, I'll have a Yuengling. Right now, I'm having a Mission Russian Imperial Stout, which is the darkest beer I've ever seen, and pours like motor oil. Tasty though.Hey Piggy...you know what's good? Widmer bros, if it's fresh. They put the date on the 12 pack boxes. I don't like Hefe, but Iove their Hopside Down and their seasonal Brrrr. I can usually find a 12 pack box on sale for 11.99.

But I pretty much quit beer last November because it always begged for salty crunchy food to go along with it. I blew up to 230 again (I'm 6'2). I quit the beer and carb foods and I'm at 195 right now...heading for 185 or less. I feel great! I may start a thread about it.

One Bad Pig
01-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Hey Piggy...you know what's good? Widmer bros, if it's fresh. They put the date on the 12 pack boxes. I don't like Hefe, but Iove their Hopside Down and their seasonal Brrrr. I can usually find a 12 pack box on sale for 11.99.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look for that.

GoBahnsen
01-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks, I'll have to take a look for that.

Yeah....fresh. I used to think that fresh and beer didn't really matter that much. Obviously you wouldn't want to drink something from 2012, but I just didn't pay attention to dates. Then I got some Widmers Citra Blond last summer and it was great! In the Fall I couldn't find any. Then in late fall I found a 12 pack with the Citra in there as the seasonal (talking a variety pack) ale. So I grabbed it up and got home to enjoy that great taste. Yuck! What a let down. I almost gave it away to my friends :lol: Not really. But I had to choke them down over time...just awful compared to fresh :)

One Bad Pig
01-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah....fresh. I used to think that fresh and beer didn't really matter that much. Obviously you wouldn't want to drink something from 2012, but I just didn't pay attention to dates. Then I got some Widmers Citra Blond last summer and it was great! In the Fall I couldn't find any. Then in late fall I found a 12 pack with the Citra in there as the seasonal (talking a variety pack) ale. So I grabbed it up and got home to enjoy that great taste. Yuck! What a let down. I almost gave it away to my friends :lol: Not really. But I had to choke them down over time...just awful compared to fresh :)
Well, it depends on the beer. Bottle-fermented beers, for example, tend to get better with age. IIRC Cooper ales (from Australia) are marked with a "best after date."

Jedidiah
01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
I was 6'1" for most of my life. Now I am 5'11 and a half. :shrug:

GoBahnsen
01-28-2014, 06:14 PM
I was 6'1" for most of my life. Now I am 5'11 and a half. :shrug: Which beer do you attribute this strange phenomenon to? Maybe Mickey Widemouths?

Jedidiah
01-28-2014, 06:46 PM
I attribute it to too much living. I will have to slow down or there will be nothing left of me.

GoBahnsen
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Well, it depends on the beer. Bottle-fermented beers, for example, tend to get better with age. IIRC Cooper ales (from Australia) are marked with a "best after date."

I didn't know that. I'm pretty dumb about beer overall. When I get to my goal weight, I might try some different beers. I just don't want to blow up to 230 again. Beer is definitely the best beverage God ever created and I agree with the slogan that it is (further) proof that He loves us.

Jedidiah
02-01-2014, 10:44 PM
If I do drink beer my choice is Guinness.

GoBahnsen
02-02-2014, 08:05 AM
If I do drink beer my choice is Guinness.
Extra Stout in the bottle. Yes! :cheers:

I got a Guinness draft at a nice restaurant. It came in a can and she poured it in a nice glass and I tasted it and I sent it to their trash facility.

Jedidiah
02-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I got a Guinness draft at a nice restaurant. It came in a can and she poured it in a nice glass and I tasted it and I sent it to their trash facility.

Yeah, I tried some of that draft in a can once - once.

Chaotic Void
02-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Just on a whim, I picked up a 6-bottle case of Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale.

Good Stuff. Has a very tropical taste to it that I enjoy. Keith's Hop series- to this point- has been kind of 'meh' for me, but this one I might think about getting again.

classical_hero
06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
The closest thing I have had to alcohol is a Lemon, Lime and Bitters. Never had a drop of an alcoholic drink in my life.

Jedidiah
06-18-2014, 11:24 PM
The closest thing I have had to alcohol is a Lemon, Lime and Bitters. Never had a drop of an alcoholic drink in my life.

Not a loss.

Bill the Cat
06-19-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm an alcoholic, so I stay away from alcohol as a general rule. I also swore when I became a father that my kids would never see me drink, and 19 years later, I am batting 1.000. But the wife drinks a glass of wine every now and again. :nsm:

rogue06
06-19-2014, 05:09 AM
My grandmother was in her early to mid 80s before she had her first taste of alcohol (outside of communal wine). We took her out one evening and she ordered a Long Island Ice Tea. She thought it was delicious and ordered a second.

I don't think the first one had effected her but by the time she was halfway done with the second she got all giggly and giddy.

She lived another 4 or 5 years and never had another alcoholic drink.