Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Source: Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

While this idea may seem outlandish—after all, it seems easy to decide not to believe in God—evidence from several disciplines indicates that what you actually believe is not a decision you make for yourself. Your fundamental beliefs are decided by much deeper levels of consciousness, and some may well be more or less set in stone.

This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist. “They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since we are born believers, not atheists, scientists say. Humans are pattern-seekers from birth, with a belief in karma, or cosmic justice, as our default setting. “A slew of cognitive traits predisposes us to faith,” writes Pascal Boyer in Nature, the science journal, adding that people “are only aware of some of their religious ideas”.

INTERNAL MONOLOGUES

Scientists have discovered that “invisible friends” are not something reserved for children. We all have them, and encounter them often in the form of interior monologues. As we experience events, we mentally tell a non-present listener about it.

The imagined listener may be a spouse, it may be Jesus or Buddha or it may be no one in particular. It’s just how the way the human mind processes facts. The identity, tangibility or existence of the listener is irrelevant.

“From childhood, people form enduring, stable and important relationships with fictional characters, imaginary friends, deceased relatives, unseen heroes and fantasized mates,” says Boyer of Washington University, himself an atheist. This feeling of having an awareness of another consciousness might simply be the way our natural operating system works.

Source and more

© Copyright Original Source

A little something for our athiest friends to ponder.
    Last edited by Bill the Cat; 10-07-2014, 10:40 AM. Reason: Fair Use question
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Cute.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      Source: Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

While this idea may seem outlandish—after all, it seems easy to decide not to believe in God—evidence from several disciplines indicates that what you actually believe is not a decision you make for yourself. Your fundamental beliefs are decided by much deeper levels of consciousness, and some may well be more or less set in stone.

This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist. “They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

This shouldn’t come as a surprise, since we are born believers, not atheists, scientists say. Humans are pattern-seekers from birth, with a belief in karma, or cosmic justice, as our default setting. “A slew of cognitive traits predisposes us to faith,” writes Pascal Boyer in Nature, the science journal, adding that people “are only aware of some of their religious ideas”.

INTERNAL MONOLOGUES

Scientists have discovered that “invisible friends” are not something reserved for children. We all have them, and encounter them often in the form of interior monologues. As we experience events, we mentally tell a non-present listener about it.

The imagined listener may be a spouse, it may be Jesus or Buddha or it may be no one in particular. It’s just how the way the human mind processes facts. The identity, tangibility or existence of the listener is irrelevant.

“From childhood, people form enduring, stable and important relationships with fictional characters, imaginary friends, deceased relatives, unseen heroes and fantasized mates,” says Boyer of Washington University, himself an atheist. This feeling of having an awareness of another consciousness might simply be the way our natural operating system works.

Source and More

Well I do think I exist.

However, I think that atheism is very much a reaction to the assertion that humans seem to find so easy to make - namely that something or someone must have started it all. To this a few humans who have a natural skepticism question this assumption.

And thus atheism is born.

I suspect we were always around, notwithstanding God's opinions about the matter. :)

A great post btw. And I do think that (some of) we atheists should not be so down on (most) theists. It's not necessarily a BS approach to the universe and existence.
      Last edited by Bill the Cat; 10-07-2014, 10:41 AM. Reason: Fiar Use

Comment

Somewhat misleading as to what the evidence indicates. Highly anecdotal.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
          Well I do think I exist.
          No you don't

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interesting article, though I can see that some atheists may react badly to this.

Comment

Title of the article is very misleading. There are no scientific studies referenced concerning "scientists discover atheists might not exist". The author has taken a few personal opinions from scientists and put his own rather religious spin on things. Not particularly honest IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                Title of the article is very misleading. There are no scientific studies referenced concerning "scientists discover atheists might not exist". The author has taken a few personal opinions from scientists and put his own rather religious spin on things. Not particularly honest IMHO.
                Buzzkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  Buzzkill.
                  Meh

Actually the whole article reminded me quite a bit of the propaganda from the professional liars at the Discovery Institute. Every time science makes a new find that modifies some previously accepted idea the DI charlatans will quote-mine and twist the living dickens out the of the research. Then they'll title their twisting "SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY SUPPORTS INTELLIGENT DESIGN!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                    Meh

Actually the whole article reminded me quite a bit of the propaganda from the professional liars at the Discovery Institute. Every time science makes a new find that modifies some previously accepted idea the DI charlatans will quote-mine and twist the living dickens out the of the research. Then they'll title their twisting "SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY SUPPORTS INTELLIGENT DESIGN!!"
                    Do you not read a whole lot of popular science articles? A comparison to Discovery Institute articles is unnecessary. Pop science headline are almost always crafted to grab your attention even if it means fuzzing the truthfulness of their claims. That's standard journalistic practice. I thought everyone knew that. Looking past that, I found the article insightful and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                      Do you not read a whole lot of popular science articles? A comparison to Discovery Institute articles is unnecessary. Pop science headline are almost always crafted to grab your attention even if it means fuzzing the truthfulness of their claims. That's standard journalistic practice. I thought everyone knew that. Looking past that, I found the article insightful and interesting.
                      That's fine for entertainment as long as you recognize it's entertainment. Anyone who gets their science knowledge from superficial heavily spun pop science articles shouldn't expect to be taken seriously in real scientific discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        No you don't
                        No, no, he exists - you're thinking of Taoist.

Granted, merely existing doesn't mean he actually is what he thinks he is!

Sorry, RW - couldn't resist...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1050[/ATTACH]
                            Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post

Source

Pffftttt!!!

I've known for decades that there is no such thing as an Atheist and have stated
                              so numerous times here on TWeb. I do use the term "Atheist", of course, as a
                              sort of generic 'identifying label'. However, my position since sometime in the 1970's
                              has been that "Everyone has a religion, the only question is WHICH religion."
                              In fact, I believe that in a recent TWeb post I made that statement again.

BTW, as a corollary I also hold that Everyone serves some 'god', the only question is WHICH 'god'.

So, this "news" is hardly a revalation to me.

Jorge

Comment