Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Safe, Legal and RARE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe, Legal and RARE!

Are the liberals still singing that song? I mean, seriously... it seems they have pretty much abandoned the obviously fallacious notion that they WANT abortions to be RARE.

Comment from an individual on PlannedParenthoodAction.org:

"I'm a pro-choice liberal, but I must say... I thought our whole position was supposed to be that we wanted abortion to be safe, legal and RARE."

Let's please stick to this issue --- are the abortionists still making the "RARE" claim?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Are the liberals still singing that song? I mean, seriously... it seems they have pretty much abandoned the obviously fallacious notion that they WANT abortions to be RARE.

Comment from an individual on PlannedParenthoodAction.org:

"I'm a pro-choice liberal, but I must say... I thought our whole position was supposed to be that we wanted abortion to be safe, legal and RARE."

Let's please stick to this issue --- are the abortionists still making the "RARE" claim?
    As far as I can tell, they are...but that's all it is, IMO. A claim. I've heard enough to be highly suspicious of it whenever it is claimed.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      As far as I can tell, they are...but that's all it is, IMO. A claim. I've heard enough to be highly suspicious of it whenever it is claimed.
      Ah.... on Bloomberg's website, they claim that the statement WAS in the Democratic Party platform, but since has been removed in 2008:

Source: Bloomberg

I hate to bring up abortion during the Democrats’ festivities, which are going so swimmingly, but I have a question.

Why has the party removed the sentence “Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare” from its platform? It was in the 2004 document but not in 2008’s or this year’s. Can’t Democrats just throw a crumb to the many millions who are pro-choice but not pro-abortion?

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah.... on Bloomberg's website, they claim that the statement WAS in the Democratic Party platform, but since has been removed in 2008:

I hate to bring up abortion during the Democrats’ festivities, which are going so swimmingly, but I have a question.

Why has the party removed the sentence “Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare” from its platform? It was in the 2004 document but not in 2008’s or this year’s. Can’t Democrats just throw a crumb to the many millions who are pro-choice but not pro-abortion?

Huh...I just figured it was still a popular thing to say. Maybe it's not anymore (which would seem to be more honest, at least).
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

And here it is....

In the 2004 Democratic Party Platform:
          Source: 2004

We will defend the dignity of all Americans against those who would undermine it. Because we believe in the privacy and equality of women, we stand proudly for a woman's right to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade, and regardless of her ability to pay. We stand firmly against Republican efforts to undermine that right. At the same time, we strongly support family planning and adoption incentives. Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

The 2008 Democratic Party Platform:
          Source: 2008

CHOICE

The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.

The Democratic Party also strongly supports access to comprehensive affordable family planning services and age-appropriate sex education which empower people to make informed choices and live healthy lives. We also recognize that such health care and education help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and thereby also reduce the need for abortions.

The Democratic Party also strongly supports a woman's decision to have a child by ensuring access to and availability of programs for pre- and post-natal health care, parenting skills, income support, and caring adoption programs.

So the phrase has been removed from their platform since 2004.

Comment

Here in the Netherlands, we have less than half the abortion rate per capita, than does the US.

Accurate education seems to be essential to that bit about being rare.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what about your sterilization rate? I would think it would be higher simply from availability and the low pop growth rates I've seen but I don't know.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

An article by Cheri Jacobus in The Hill brought up that point slightly earlier: DNC platform supports partial-birth abortion, excludes language for abortion to be ‘rare’

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Out of curiosity, what about your sterilization rate?
                  That's a very PERSONAL question! Robertb, you are NOT required to answer!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    An article by Cheri Jacobus in The Hill brought up that point slightly earlier: DNC platform supports partial-birth abortion, excludes language for abortion to be ‘rare’
                    From that article:
                    Source: Rogue's link

Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) immediately issued a strident (and purposefully incorrect, misleading, lying) email....

Reminds me of that analogy that ends "but you KNEW it was a snake when you picked it up!"

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Out of curiosity, what about your sterilization rate? I would think it would be higher simply from availability and the low pop growth rates I've seen but I don't know.
                      Are you referring to vasectomies? Not anymore popular here than there. It really does seem to come down to education, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Based only on the quotes provided in this thread, the word 'rare' is removed but the idea of family planning is augmented and is oriented toward reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies:

"The Democratic Party also strongly supports access to comprehensive affordable family planning services and age-appropriate sex education which empower people to make informed choices and live healthy lives. We also recognize that such health care and education help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and thereby also reduce the need for abortions."
                        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

More African babies are aborted than born. Margaret Sanger would've been crying her neo-nazi heart out.
                          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

That's a very PERSONAL question! Robertb, you are NOT required to answer!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by robertb View Post
                              Are you referring to vasectomies? Not anymore popular here than there. It really does seem to come down to education, as far as I can tell.
                              No, sterilization in general. Thanks.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X