Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Are ALL Hummingbirds this Territorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ALL Hummingbirds this Territorial?

I'm sitting in my living room watching my hummingbird feeder, trying to get a picture of several hummingbirds feeding at the same time. One will swoop in to feed, and another will swoop in dogfight style, and scare him away, then try to feed, while the first one (or a second or third one) swoops back in.

There's PLENTY of nectar, and there are 4 feeding spots, but I rarely EVER see multiple hummers feeding.

battle.JPGbattle 2.JPG
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I see the same sort of behavior at my suet feeder for nuthatches.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Hummingbirds aren't big on sharing. Try multiple feeders - they are a little less territorial that way.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Why can't I have hummingbirds.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Hummingbirds aren't big on sharing. Try multiple feeders - they are a little less territorial that way.
          I was actually kinda sorta thinkin about maybe trying that, possibly.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Why can't I have hummingbirds.

One word: Canada.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              One word: Canada.
              We have hummingbirds in Canada. I have even seen them (like twice in 36 years) in my yard.

I plant flowers that they like. I have put feeders out.

They just don't like me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

We have hummingbirds in Canada. I have even seen them (like twice in 36 years) in my yard.

I plant flowers that they like. I have put feeders out.

They just don't like me.

Forget all the fancy nectar -- just use plain water with 1/4 cup sugar to a cup of water. Nou coulouring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Forget all the fancy nectar -- just use plain water with 1/4 cup sugar to a cup of water. Nou coulouring.
                  Thanks.

P.S. You sure spell funny.

Comment

Thanks.

P.S. You sure spell funny.
                    I was speaking Canadian!

Comment

Must be that French part.....

Comment

I thought everybody knew....hummingbirds create so much wing turbulence they require at least five inches separation from each other.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          I thought everybody knew....hummingbirds create so much wing turbulence they require at least five inches separation from each other.
                          Is that for really?

Comment

The hummingbirds in my yard look funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Is that for really?
                              ....so much for not being so serious.... what a tough crowd...
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X